Groups

PC Codecs

Hey,

Following on from my recovering data from HD thread, I have hooked up on old HD to my new computer.

I have some movies on the HD that I would like to access - but that no longer work on the new computer. I presume this is due to codecs that I had on the old machine? Or is it Vista maybe?

Is there a site where I can download everything I might need onto the new computer?

17 Comments

Banned

i have the codecs but their on a disk
    i take it their downloaded films?
    if they are its the codecs you need

Banned

]http//ww…om/theres a site im sure i have the k-lite codecs and this site has them all

If you mean that your media player can't open the files, just use VLC media player. It has pretty much every codec you will ever need to use already built-in. I use it to play movies and TV shows (HD sometimes) I download and it has never failed me.

videolan.org/vlc/

Banned

DannyL

If you mean that your media player can't open the files, just use VLC … If you mean that your media player can't open the files, just use VLC media player. It has pretty much every codec you will ever need to use already built-in. I use it to play movies and TV shows (HD sometimes) I download and it has never failed me.http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

i have VLC player is rubbish the symbol is an ORANGE TRAFFIC CONE and its so boring if you are trying to access downloaded films on media player go to the site i provided they have them all but if you dont mind what it look like go for the boring VLC player

good point though danny

Banned

it is quite common that a divx codec needs to be installed - you can get one at [url]www.divx.com[/url]

EDIT- this was the problem on a friends vista comp and after installing this for them it worked

vlc no need to install codecs

thumbs up

I don't understand your comments Hayton about VLC. Do you approve of it, or not? VLC is excellent, all the codecs and works very well with Sopcast.

I'd recommend it, quick, simple and easy download (XP at least)

Banned

boydent999

I don't understand your comments Hayton about VLC. Do you approve of it, … I don't understand your comments Hayton about VLC. Do you approve of it, or not? VLC is excellent, all the codecs and works very well with Sopcast. I'd recommend it, quick, simple and easy download (XP at least)

no its rubbish but plays things thats all what he wants

Banned

highguyuk

Hey,Following on from my recovering data from HD thread, I have hooked up … Hey,Following on from my recovering data from HD thread, I have hooked up on old HD to my new computer.I have some movies on the HD that I would like to access - but that no longer work on the new computer. I presume this is due to codecs that I had on the old machine? Or is it Vista maybe?

?? HAve you recovered the operating system and using that on the HD - or is it just another HD inside the machine? If the later, its because the rigistry wont have the codecs installed. Just re-install them (for which ever it is!)

Is there a site where I can download everything I might need onto the new … Is there a site where I can download everything I might need onto the new computer?

Thats a bit ambiguous! Are you talking about codecs here?

If it is, give this one a go free-codecs.com/dow…htm or just use that site for more specific stuff.

How can VLC be boring?? Maybe you should stop downloading the news and watching it:giggle:

I second/third/whatever the recommendations for VLC, it's a superb program which instantly solves most codec problems. It seems almost wrong using it as it's so simple, I'm used to having to hunt down specific codecs, trying to resolve resulting codec conflicts etc.

John

Banned

bazzaric

How can VLC be boring?? Maybe you should stop downloading the news and … How can VLC be boring?? Maybe you should stop downloading the news and watching it:giggle:

what the hells good about a CONE which you listen to mp3s on with a gay little line going across
    id hate to see how bad a dvd is on it

Talk about not judging a book by its cover, you don't like a program because of its icon?

DVD playback is great, you're just talking nonsense.

John

I agree with hayton, don't touch VLC Player it has a cone!!!!!!

Your language is unacceptable especially if you expect people to take you seriously. If you read your own replies you've criticised the icon several times which is what my post was referring to.

The thread creater was looking for recommendations on suitable methods of playing back video files and based on your 'contributions' to this thread so far you should perhaps take your own advice about keeping your nose out.

John

hayton2k3

i have VLC player is rubbish the symbol is an ORANGE TRAFFIC CONE and its … i have VLC player is rubbish the symbol is an ORANGE TRAFFIC CONE and its so boring if you are trying to access downloaded films on media player go to the site i provided they have them all but if you dont mind what it look like go for the boring VLC player

'tard
    http://www.collectorcone.com/4-talk-to-cone.jpg

Banned

highguyuk

Hey,Following on from my recovering data from HD thread, I have hooked up … Hey,Following on from my recovering data from HD thread, I have hooked up on old HD to my new computer.I have some movies on the HD that I would like to access - but that no longer work on the new computer. I presume this is due to codecs that I had on the old machine? Or is it Vista maybe?Is there a site where I can download everything I might need onto the new computer?

Doesn't sound like a Vista problem.

Try this codec pack:
    cole2k.net/

Hope it helps :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie911
      3. love affairs912
      4. word association Game73844475

See more discussions