Groups
    EXPIRED

PC Components - PSU / Graphics cooling / new case?

I have finally decided I am fed up with my noisy whiney pc. The power supply is an Eagle ATX350 Switching Power Supply (?) and makes a low grumbling noise. I was thinking of this:

Tagan TG330-U01 330W ATX Silent PSU at: ]http//ww…l=3

as it is within my price range (around £30) and quiet!

I have a 939 AGP-P motherboard and my current PSU goes to a 20 pin and then into a 24 pin to the mobo - so would the new PSU be ok with this?

Or...any other recommendations?

I also have a Geoforce FX5600XT 128mb graphics card (which does me fine to be honest) with a Iceburg 4 Vantec fan which whirls... Any ideas what I can do to make this quieter? Buy a new fan? Buy a new graphics card which doesn't run so hot?

Or would i be better off getting a whole cooling case for £50-70 - would this then cause the fans on the components not to run so much?

Karma waiting for all those who help!

Thanks!

4 Comments

Right mate, I will check your PSU in a bit, but it will not be a problem because you can just buy a 20-24 pin adapter. You may already have one, I can't really understand what your saying by it goes to a 20pin and then into a 24 pin on the motherboard?

Is that an adapter? If so keep hold of it incase you need it.

As for a graphics card go and buy a fanless one. ATI do some nice AGP fanless ones in the 9600 series. Pick one up second hand for about £25 or so and it is actaully better than your current card.

I like the look of these PSU's by the way, dual 12v rail, 380w and yes they are quiet.
    ebuyer.com/UK/…375

Original Poster

Thanks mate. Suits me to buy from Ebuyer as I want some new ram from there too...Any particular AGP 9600 you recommend? Shoudl I just look for one off of ebay or anywhere else good to buy 2nd hand?

I think I probably do have an adapter - I just couldn't see where they pull apart! The cables run out of the PSU into a white plastic plug of 20 then out again into a white plastic plug of 24 that plugs into the mobo.

bluep

Thanks mate. Suits me to buy from Ebuyer as I want some new ram from … Thanks mate. Suits me to buy from Ebuyer as I want some new ram from there too...Any particular AGP 9600 you recommend? Shoudl I just look for one off of ebay or anywhere else good to buy 2nd hand?I think I probably do have an adapter - I just couldn't see where they pull apart! The cables run out of the PSU into a white plastic plug of 20 then out again into a white plastic plug of 24 that plugs into the mobo.

Hello mate, in fact an adaptor is not 100% needed as you can actually plug in a 20 pin plug into a 24 pin connection. You will have 4 pins overhanging but these are not essential as they are only to give the PC a bit of oomph if your pushing it hard.

As for the card go over to avforums.com and go the computer components sale/trade section. Place a wanted add in there high a high end fanless 9600 or 9700. Do not pay more than £30. You either want a 9600pro or 9600xt (xt is better) or a 9700pro (not sure if the 9700 was ever fanless).

You could also go for a standard 9600 (do not get the se version as these are crap). But for a standard 9600 I would not pay more than £25 delivered.

And yes eBay is an option if you prefer.

Original Poster

I can't give you more rep until I've spread it all around a bit more so a thank you will have to do!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 2 for 1 at Alton Towers this weekend?22
      2. Sky45
      3. Why do people scam on Gumtree?55
      4. HELP - am i being scammed on gum tree1521

See more discussions