Groups

PC CPU at 100% all of the time

My PC CPU is always showing 100% even when nothing is running?

I've tried checking for a virus and that was fine. CPU temp is at 40 degrees.

Anyone know what it might be?

26 Comments

what process is using the cpu?

Original Poster

OS = Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    CPU = Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
    Ram = 16gb DDR3 @ 665Mhz
    Motherboard = ASRock H67M-GE
    Hard Drive = 250Gb (OS) and 2TB (Storage).

Thanks for any help/advise

Original Poster

adam_holcombe

what process is using the cpu?

System interupts = 5% (approx)
    System = 16% (approx)
    Desktop windows Manager = 40% (approx)
    Firefox = 45% (approx)

Keep fluctuating from 0% to the figures above.

tiki3471

System interupts = 5% (approx)System = 16% (approx)Desktop windows … System interupts = 5% (approx)System = 16% (approx)Desktop windows Manager = 40% (approx)Firefox = 45% (approx)Keep fluctuating from 0% to the figures above.

So does it stop when you close Firefox?

If so, maybe a dodgy extension is causing it

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

How long have you been running Windows 10 ? And was the 100% CPU utilization around the time of the Operating System upgrade or since the Anniversary edition?

Original Poster

Aradria

So does it stop when you close Firefox?If so, maybe a dodgy extension is … So does it stop when you close Firefox?If so, maybe a dodgy extension is causing it

Even when I close it everything goes down but still shows 100%

Original Poster

nemesiz

How long have you been running Windows 10 ? And was the 100% CPU … How long have you been running Windows 10 ? And was the 100% CPU utilization around the time of the Operating System upgrade or since the Anniversary edition?

Didn't really notice until the computer kept freezing a couple of time and just checked and saw the CPU at 100% whatver I'm doing

Virus !

Check firefox plugin container.

Also install adblock

Virus; download and run Malwarebytes in "Safe Mode".

The first thing 99% of viri do is take over the active anti virus program, so it cannot detect the infection.

Ré Kester, yes, but also add NoScript; that will stop all website infections as well as irritating adverts.

Early builds of Windows 10, and subsequent editions of the Operating System (including the Anniversary edition) had a serious software flaw which caused either a unnaturally high or full CPU utilisation on many of older mainboards including P67 and H67 chipsets when the user checked the Task Master. As a consequence, if malware, viruses, overheating or software incompatibilities are ruled out, try updating the drivers and bios as many of the 100% CPU utilisation was resolved with a motherboard bios update. That is why ASRock (check their beta section) revised and amended older motherboard bios including the one I use.
    Edited by: "nemesiz" 27th Feb

I had the same issue, dont know if its the same as yours, had 4 days of constant fluctuating cpu and harddrive use even at idle, found out that a game I had downloaded (gears of war 4) was downloading updates in the background. Best to check in task manager what is happening. Also did it a few days back with a windows update, damn my slow connection. Might not be the case but worth a look. Cant remember which process it was that was hogging the resources, but was something like systemhost.
    Edited by: "stoneblade" 27th Feb

Check Windows updates are running correctly. Early builds of W10 had a bug were WU would constantly search, using 100% processor but never complete any updates

I have an issue with windows 10 were it will run fine most of the time but i would get these little 1 second freeze's and the programs i am using will just cut out for a second, when using music software it can be **** annoying as it can make quite a loud pop, i think it is something to do with the processor, never had the issue on win 7

donbarney

I have an issue with windows 10 were it will run fine most of the time … I have an issue with windows 10 were it will run fine most of the time but i would get these little 1 second freeze's and the programs i am using will just cut out for a second, when using music software it can be **** annoying as it can make quite a loud pop, i think it is something to do with the processor, never had the issue on win 7

It's high DPC latency. Overclocking software sometimes causes this issue if it's polling for temps and voltages too much

kester76

It's high DPC latency. Overclocking software sometimes causes this issue … It's high DPC latency. Overclocking software sometimes causes this issue if it's polling for temps and voltages too much

just checked dpc latency checker and i am always getting below 1,000 us so i dont think it is that

donbarney

just checked dpc latency checker and i am always getting below 1,000 us … just checked dpc latency checker and i am always getting below 1,000 us so i dont think it is that

So when you were checking did the audio stutter ?

kester76

So when you were checking did the audio stutter ?

No stutter yet, i have left it on and there is one time it went above 1,000 that was just now when i was watching something on youtube(chrome), it is a weird issue only happens every so often, could be something to do with my soundcard as it does not have a driver for windows 10, or it could be something to do with chrome
    Edited by: "donbarney" 27th Feb

donbarney

No stutter yet, i have left it on and there is one time it went above … No stutter yet, i have left it on and there is one time it went above 1,000 that was just now when i was watching something on youtube(chrome), it is a weird issue only happens every so often, could be something to do with my soundcard as it does not have a driver for windows 10, or it could be something to do with chrome

Could be anything to tell you the truth, my bane is high disk usage but that's a motherboard/driver issue that I fix and then Microsoft update and screw me over again.

1. Have you tried using something like Process Explorer rather than Task Manager. Windows 10 is weird in that Task Manager doesn't seem to give an accurate breakdown of cpu use.
    2. My guess would be the audio driver. Make sure Enhancements are disabled under Audio Properties. I would also try changing the sample rate and bit depth to 44.1/16 bit.

tiki3471

OS = Windows 10

That's your problem right there
    Solution: something like Manjaro

kester76

Also install adblock

isn't adblock the one that now sells the data it farms on you? ublock origin is an alternative

justanotherpunter

isn't adblock the one that now sells the data it farms on you? ublock … isn't adblock the one that now sells the data it farms on you? ublock origin is an alternative

​Thanks for the heads up. Doesn't look as bad as it is as they only sell on information from the ads that are blocked from what I've read. I'm more annoyed about the huge flash adverts that used to destroy performance. Luckly now this is in decline due to it crippling nature forced people to use adblockers.

kester76

It's high DPC latency. Overclocking software sometimes causes this issue … It's high DPC latency. Overclocking software sometimes causes this issue if it's polling for temps and voltages too much

Thats an issue with the anniversary update with SSDs. Use the Intel AHCI driver instead of the default MS one to solve it. Download the correct Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for your chipset.

For high CPU usage run windows task manager (right click on taskbar) then select processes tab and look to see which program is using the CPU. Then stop each process in turn until the high usage goes away.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Beds33
      2. What to do?????34
      3. Any free Now TV sports passes?22
      4. Best VR games?22

See more discussions