Expired

Pc for Small Business

Banned 10
Found 14th Mar 2009
Hi guys

I wondered if any of you IT gurus could give me some advice.

I'm looking to purchase a new laptop as I have just started my own business. I'm currently using my old faithful Medion 2220 which I purchased 2.5 years ago. It's always been sufficient for personal use but is not really up to the job of running multiple applications and is slowing me down!!!!

I haven't got a price range in mind, but obviously the cheaper the better!

Could anyone recommend any good deals around at the moment?

Thanks for your time

1. Ask
  2. PC
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. PC
10 Comments

Hello Aggie,
perhaps you could tell us what sort of things you do on your laptop, so we can advise?
If it is just word processing and e.mail, power point presentations etc then any mid priced laptop should suffice.
I would prefer to go with a Brand name.

Perhaps someone might be able to suggest a brand/model and price for you.

Simon

Original Poster Banned

Hi Simon

Thanks for your quick reply.

It would be for email, internet, excel, publisher, word processing and accounts software mainly.

Aggie xx

Aggie;4642327

Hi SimonThanks for your quick reply. It would be for email, internet, … Hi SimonThanks for your quick reply. It would be for email, internet, excel, publisher, word processing and accounts software mainly.Aggie xx

[FONT="Verdana"]My thinking would be a desktop system and a laptop - using a laptop all the time is not that great on your eyes, especially if your have to carry around a heavy one like I do in my work.

In addition to that do you already have a backup solution in place? If not then you might want to consider a couple of external USB hard disks, to allow for dual data backups - either manually copy your data over or use backup software off of the internet.

PS - Which version of Microsoft Office will you be running mate?

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Original Poster Banned

Hi Scotty Boy

Thanks for your great advice. You've made a good point there about the desktop. Come to think of it, I am developing a crick in my neck using this laptop!! I reckon a desktop would be the most sensible option.

I've got a portable hard drive so backups shouldn't be a problem. I'm currently using MS XP.

Thanks again

Aggie xx

Hi Aggie

This would be good for small business use: ]http//ww…-2/.

It will handle your Office applications, accounts and email with no problem at all. Some people will tell you Dell customer service is terrible; my experience is that once you get through to a decision maker it is ok, but like so many call centre based operations it does require some patience on your part. Having said that the product is reliable enough that hopefully you won’t need to call them up.

You will need to add a monitor. The Dell monitors on offer when you configure the system on the Dell website are overpriced so I suggest something like this (from Amazon with free P&P) would be fine: ]http//ww…d-/

As Scotty Boy said, a backup regime is essential. I back up to external drives and put one of them in the garden shed figuring it’s very unlikely the house and the shed will burn down at the same time!

That should leave you with a spare laptop so you might want to consider a clean install of the operating system, and reinstalling some of the office apps to give you a reasonable machine to use on the move for picking up emails etc.

Good luck and think yourself lucky you don’t want a computer to play games: PCs for serious business applications are dirt cheap in comparison. I always think that’s rather amusing!

;-)

Original Poster Banned

Thanks for your advice Bigsky. It was very helpful!

I've taken a look at the Dell website and I am thinking of purchasing the Dell Vostro 220ST
(D04S210). It is £412.85 Total Price (inc Free Delivery)

The Spec is as follows:

Processor:
Intel® Core™2 Duo E7400 processor (2.80GHz, 1066MHz, 3MB cache) 190886 1 [213-10089] 146
Microsoft Operating System:
Genuine Windows Vista® Business with Service Pack 1, 32-bit - English 185015 1 [429-13271][619-12573][640-10620] 11
Microsoft Application Software:
Microsoft® Works 9.0 - English 113540 1 [630-11714] 1002
Monitor:
20in E2009W WIDESCREEN Black UK/Irish (1680 x 1050) TCO99 DVI-D 180569 1 [480-16376] 5
Memory:
3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x2048 + 1x1024] 200566 1 [370-13991] 3
Hard Drive:
500GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache 159726 1 [400-14863] 8
Video Card:
Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator X4500 185648 1 [490-10922] 6
Optical Devices:
16x DVD +/- RW Drive 183830 1 [429-13085][429-13272] 16
Keyboard:
Dell Multimedia USB Keyboard Black - UK/Irish 183840 1 [580-14309] 4
Mouse:
Dell 2 Button USB Optical Mouse 128067 1 [570-10456] 12
Base:
Vostro 220 ST Standard Base Slim Tower Chassis 183825 1 [210-25333] 1
Sound Cards:
Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio HD 185765 1 [510-10231] 17
Speakers:
No Speakers

I have chosen the Slim Tower as I will appreciate the extra desk space. I also included the option of upgarding to 500Gb as this was only an extra tenner.

I would really appreciate some advice on a a couple of things though:
- I have heard that Vista is not as good as XP (plus is the Ultimate worth upgrading to?)
- Is the monitor good quality (I've seen some good looking Hewlett Packard shiny monitors in the shops!)

All opinions gratefully received.

Many thanks

If you have problems running multiple applications then the reason is that when the RAM is full, the hard drive is used as virtual memory causing the slowing down due to the swapping between RAM and hard drive, Increasing the memory is a much cheaper solution than replacing the computer. If the screen is too small, your laptop can connect to an external monitor.

Aggie;4846649

I would really appreciate some advice on a a couple of things though:- I … I would really appreciate some advice on a a couple of things though:- I have heard that Vista is not as good as XP (plus is the Ultimate worth upgrading to?)- Is the monitor good quality (I've seen some good looking Hewlett Packard shiny monitors in the shops!)All opinions gratefully received. Many thanks

The people who say Vista is not as good as XP are putting a subjective view across. Vista is slower than XP but can be made to run as fast by disabling services such as file indexing and backup services. Options are also available to disable some graphical properties (such as shadows). Vista is far more secure than XP and Vista 64 has a locked kernel which means viruses will not be able to access the OS directly as they cannot access the kernel.

The monitor is OK but backlighting is not even. For your usage, it's not an issue.

ElliottC;4846684

If you have problems running multiple applications then the reason is … If you have problems running multiple applications then the reason is that when the RAM is full, the hard drive is used as virtual memory causing the slowing down due to the swapping between RAM and hard drive, Increasing the memory is a much cheaper solution than replacing the computer. If the screen is too small, your laptop can connect to an external monitor.

[FONT="Verdana"]
True very good points there but dependent on what computer system is being purchased there will be a limit in the amount of physical memory that can be installed but also if its over 4GB of RAM then a 64-Bit operating system would have to be used, which in turn would cause a few issues with regards to 32-Bit software support - in my neck of the wood I've seen this a few times with offshore based application systems, which can be a right nightmare to resolve.

A monitor can be purchased to increase the amount of screen real estate available but do you still want to have only a single computer system for running your business - what if it goes down due to a physical fault, you'll be royally stuck until its repaired which may take time due to the availability of spare replacement hardware. A secondary computer system is always ideal...but then again I'm paranoid! :whistling:

dcx_badass;4915909

Why is everyone using annoying fonts?

[FONT="Verdana"]I find Verdana easier on my eyes...each to their own! ;-)

Post a comment
@
    Text