Pc Game Problem....

Just bought GRAW 1 from Game, everything was going fine, installed everything as required but when I tried to load the game I got the following message:

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.35
Failed setting up render device.

Ive downloaded the latest patch for the game, still doesn't work.

Also, have around 5gb of memory and the game states I only need 1gb.

Thanks to anyone who could help me !

27 Comments

Sounds like something to do with your graphics card.

Do you have one? If so, are the drivers upto date? Is your graphics card compatible with the game??

This is all I can think of at the mo...

Original Poster

I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron 6000, how can i find out if i have one, where can i check drivers?

Many thanks

Right click My Computer, properties, click the Hardware tab and that should list all hardware in your laptop...

If you do have some kind of graphics, right click it and update driver. (Probably best to download driver from Manufacturers website)

Laptops don't tend to have graphic capabilities unless you have paid for the priviledge! HTH

Banned

I think that error means you need to have shader ver 2.0 support on the graphics card

jackthelad;1419555

I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron 6000, how can i find out if i have one, … I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron 6000, how can i find out if i have one, where can i check drivers?Many thanks

I think that may be the problem - by memory, the 6000 came with either on onboard graphics card (Intel GMA 900?) or the option of an X300. The game doesn't support onboard graphics, I doubt the X300 would be powerful enough to run the game anyway.

John

Banned

with the 6000 It would be ok if the lappy has the x300 card (shader 2.0 support with that)
but not the standard intel graphics

Original Poster

What's best to do from now? How can I check to see if I have the x300 card.

Thanks again everyone for the help ;-)

soupy;1419733

with the 6000 It would be ok if the lappy has the x300 card (shader 2.0 … with the 6000 It would be ok if the lappy has the x300 card (shader 2.0 support with that) :)but not the standard intel graphics

The standard Intel graphics (GMA 900/950, 915 platform) also has shader 2.0 support, it's the older Intel Extreme 2 (855 platform for mobile procsssors) which does not. Reading up on the game specs though I don't think an X300 is going to be enough to run the game at an acceptable level.

John

Wow so much hassle on a PC!
With my mac I don't have any of that hassle! Well... because there are no games.... lol

To check if you have a gfx card you need to do what birdboyuk said in post #4.

Original Poster

I done that, then I get this window, not all the hardware on my laptop

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8923/problemme8.png

Original Poster

I then click device manager and get this screen

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3955/problemoye4.png

Which one is the graphics card?

Click on "display adapters"

Original Poster

creating next screenie now lol.

Thanks for the help

Original Poster

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/3033/problemoohu2.png

Laptops without graphics cards. That has to be the funniest thing i've read in ages. How the hell would you get anything to display on the LCD without one? :lol:

Shengis;1420372

Laptops without graphics cards. That has to be the funniest thing i've … Laptops without graphics cards. That has to be the funniest thing i've read in ages. How the hell would you get anything to display on the LCD without one? :lol:

Noticed you edited your post. Confused me a bit at first!
They don't have dedicated graphics cards but have integrated graphics for basic video and of course allowing you display something on the screen! But most are not powerful enough to run games well.

Most PC's have integrated graphics within the motherboard allowing you to still use the computer if the graphics card breaks or malfunctions. It will only allow you to use very basic resolutions though. Through my experience anyway.

You have an integrated graphics card which is apparently not supported for the game - to be honest, even if you had the X300 you could still not play the game though I appreciate that's little consolation.

John

Magic_monkey;1420411

Noticed you edited your post. Confused me a bit at first!They don't have … Noticed you edited your post. Confused me a bit at first!They don't have dedicated graphics cards but have integrated graphics for basic video and of course allowing you display something on the screen! But most are not powerful enough to run games well.Most PC's have integrated graphics within the motherboard allowing you to still use the computer if the graphics card breaks or malfunctions. It will only allow you to use very basic resolutions though. Through my experience anyway.

Integrated graphics cards generally let you use the same resolutions as dedicated graphics cards, around 2048x1536 over d-sub or 1920x1200 over DVI, with some exceptions such as the ULV and other similar micro platforms. Integrated graphics cards have poor 3D performance which is why their main weakness is pretty much anything 3D related. As HD is coming in more now, dedicated graphics cards also offer the bonus of being able to assist in decoding to take some of the load off the main processor.

John

Original Poster

Is there a graphics card I could buy?

I heard someone was developing an external graphics card to fit into laptops? I dunno but I reckon it'd be bloody expensive! Other than that there's not much you can do, laptops aren't as upgradable as PCs.

Cheers for that bit of info John. I was just having a guess before :P appreciate it.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the help!

Everyone that helped me, enjoy your rep!

jackthelad;1420428

Is there a graphics card I could buy?

Unfortunately not, I believe the 6000 had two different motherboards - one with the slot for a graphics card or one without. Even if you had the slot the X300 wouldn't be worth the effort, I don't believe any other modules would fit this machine. With laptops you are generally stuck with the spec you buy the machine with, aside from ram, HD and optical drive which are normally easy upgrades.

magic_monkey - Asus showed off an external PCI-E slot with a 7900GS card but that was a while ago and there's been no news since. Similarly ATi showed off a prototype external connector but again nothing since unfortunately.

Dell D-series machines (Latitudes, Precisions mainly) can take a PCI card in their D/dock but that's little use as there's very little in the way of PCI graphics cards and they're all low performance.

John

This is where buying laptops at PC World becomes a problem.
On the website they wont tell you if it has dedicated or integrated graphics.
All the laptops have what seems to be a similar spec. With 2gb ram and a 250gb HD you'd think that it's great. Until you want to play a game....

Magic_monkey;1420411

Noticed you edited your post. Confused me a bit at first!They don't have … Noticed you edited your post. Confused me a bit at first!They don't have dedicated graphics cards but have integrated graphics for basic video and of course allowing you display something on the screen! But most are not powerful enough to run games well.

Funny how missing out a few words can completely change the meaning of a sentence, hence the edit :lol:

Don't see how you can get any MORE dedicated than built in. Just being pedantic really ;-)

Laptops aren't meant for hard core game playing (alienware excluded) so its no wonder they don't fit the high end chips. That and the fact they use a lot more power/generate too much heat for laptop application.

The term 'dedicated' refers to the memory, integrated graphics cards are part of the northbridge and use the main system memory in place of their own. A dedicated graphics card has its own chip and memory.

I disagree with laptops not being for hard core gaming, my XPS 2 had a 6800 Ultra (fastest notebook at the time, long before AW had a competing model) and my current one has a 7950GTX. If I wanted a current model I could have twin 8800s, laptops have had high end cards ever since the NV40/R420 days. You do pay through the nose for it.

Also, AW don't make their own machines - they use the same barebones as many other companies, the only difference is they charge through the roof for their name.

John

Don't Dell own Alienware now?

My laptop has an ATI Radeon X1600, dunno if that is any good? John?
But it seems to cope all right with games.

Dell do own Alienware although there doesn't seem to have been much in the way of changes for either brand, Dell still maintain their own performance range rather than adopting the AW machines in place of them as some expected.

X1600 is a very good mobile graphics card, it and the 7600 were pretty much the best you could get without moving up to the 17 inch machines.

John
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846092
    2. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??77
    3. Xbox One X - (News, updates, etc)3381
    4. Any PS4 News Here29213601

See more discussions