PC gaming steering wheel help please

Posted 25th Nov
Hello, so my 10 year old daughter has finally decided what she wants for Christmas and it’s a steering wheel and pedals she can play forza horizon with on her laptop. I was hoping to only spend around £100 but looking at reviews in that price range they don’t look great. The £200 type ones like Logitech G920 have great reviews but also have a shifter which I don’t really need, I’m pretty sure that will just confuse her. Any advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated please?? Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

37 Comments
The Logitech G920 is a great wheel but you could look at getting the older GT Driving Force Wheel by Logitech. It's compatible with both PS3 and PC and will give her a good force feedback playing experience and you can pick up a used one fairly inexpensively.

uk.webuy.com/pro…als
fanpages25/11/2019 11:15

Déjà vu, @Haircut_100 ?:) [ h …Déjà vu, @Haircut_100 ?:) [ https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/ps4-racing-wheel-set-3336914 ]

True indeed, the Logitech wheels are the go-to for budget recommendations. I just wish that my PS3/PC Driving Force GT wheel was compatible with the PS4
The logitech steering wheel with pedals and no shifter was £109 last black friday from amazon. Only lasted an hour or so though.
Haircut_10025/11/2019 11:18

True indeed, the Logitech wheels are the go-to for budget recommendations. …True indeed, the Logitech wheels are the go-to for budget recommendations. I just wish that my PS3/PC Driving Force GT wheel was compatible with the PS4

The last wheels I used (& that I still own) were a Microsoft SideWinder "Precision Racing Wheel" (with "Midtown Madness") & a Thrustmaster wheel for the original PlayStation; so you can tell I'm a little out of touch with what is available now.

I just know I was impressed with the build quality of the G920... &, yes, thanks to @efc_4ever (in the other thread) I was reminded that it was easy to take apart & 'fix' too.
fanpages25/11/2019 11:24

The last wheels I used (& that I still own) were a Microsoft SideWinder …The last wheels I used (& that I still own) were a Microsoft SideWinder "Precision Racing Wheel" (with "Midtown Madness") & a Thrustmaster wheel for the original PlayStation; so you can tell I'm a little out of touch with what is available now.I just know I was impressed with the build quality of the G920... &, yes, thanks to @efc_4ever (in the other thread) I was reminded that it was easy to take apart & 'fix' too.

What racing games would you recommend for a 10yr old?
If they're anything like Joysticks, and it's the same companies making them, then even the expensive ones don't last more than a few years so I'd recommend sticking to the cheap options unless you need the features on the expensive ones. Even if they only last the length of a year's warranty they work out much cheaper in the long run.
efc_4ever25/11/2019 11:55

Oh... again, it has been a long time since I was ten... & even any of my kids were ten.

Does your son like "simulation" games (like, for example, "Euro Truck Simulator"), or arcade-style racing games, or perhaps kid-oriented karting titles, or something else?

There are a lot to choose from to be fair.

Has he had a computer for gaming or video games console before? If so, what did he like playing then?
Brilliant, thanks for all the info. I hadn’t seen the other persons post about present for their 10 year old as well. We’ve actually got a PS4 as well so it looks like it’s the G29 I would need rather than the G920, it is for her lap top that she’s asked for it but I’m sure my husband will be very chuffed if it works on his PS4 as well. I really hope this drops in price on Friday, £109 seems very cheap as most places are showing it as rrp £299 but are selling for £199
efc_4ever25/11/2019 11:55

My daughter loves Forza Horizon 4, I don’t know what it’s like with a steering wheel though, but I would be interested to know any other racing games people recommend
Probably a silly question but if I get the G29 which I think is the PS4/ PC version will it still work ok on laptop with Forza horizon 4 because I think she logs into some sort of Xbox thing on the laptop to play it?
saz269625/11/2019 12:44

Probably a silly question but if I get the G29 which I think is the PS4/ …Probably a silly question but if I get the G29 which I think is the PS4/ PC version will it still work ok on laptop with Forza horizon 4 because I think she logs into some sort of Xbox thing on the laptop to play it?

[ support.forzamotorsport.net/hc/…ces ]

39109126-o5j6y.jpg
fanpages25/11/2019 12:32

Oh... again, it has been a long time since I was ten... & even any of my …Oh... again, it has been a long time since I was ten... & even any of my kids were ten.Does your son like "simulation" games (like, for example, "Euro Truck Simulator"), or arcade-style racing games, or perhaps kid-oriented karting titles, or something else?There are a lot to choose from to be fair.Has he had a computer for gaming or video games console before? If so, what did he like playing then?

Oh yes he's an addict on his PS4 . He has the VR headset and everything but this a new one for him the car racing. Something different for him. I was thinking of dirt rally and gran turismo type games maybe
saz269625/11/2019 12:39

My daughter loves Forza Horizon 4, I don’t know what it’s like with a ste …My daughter loves Forza Horizon 4, I don’t know what it’s like with a steering wheel though, but I would be interested to know any other racing games people recommend

Is that not Xbox though Forza horizon?
efc_4ever25/11/2019 13:02

Oh yes he's an addict on his PS4 . He has the VR headset and everything …Oh yes he's an addict on his PS4 . He has the VR headset and everything but this a new one for him the car racing. Something different for him. I was thinking of dirt rally and gran turismo type games maybe

Ah... a "proper" enthusiast then... none of this arcade racing nonsense for him!

The DiRT franchise (formerly the Colin McRae rally series) certainly has a lot to choose from, or you could look at the GRID titles; both published by Codemasters.

The "Gran Turismo" series only has one entry on the PlayStation 4; "Gran Turismo Sport", so that's really your only choice there.
saz269625/11/2019 12:34

Brilliant, thanks for all the info. I hadn’t seen the other persons post a …Brilliant, thanks for all the info. I hadn’t seen the other persons post about present for their 10 year old as well. We’ve actually got a PS4 as well so it looks like it’s the G29 I would need rather than the G920, it is for her lap top that she’s asked for it but I’m sure my husband will be very chuffed if it works on his PS4 as well. I really hope this drops in price on Friday, £109 seems very cheap as most places are showing it as rrp £299 but are selling for £199

If you've got a PS4 as well as a PC then you should defintely get the Logitech G29 as it will work with both. You'll be making both of them happy on Christmas day! All that you need to do now is just wait for the right deal. You might not see it on offer at £109 this year as I think that was an exceptional price, but it will drop from £200 though I'm sure.
efc_4ever25/11/2019 13:03

I don’t know much about games so you could be right. I know my husband hasn’t got it on his PS4 but my daughter plays it on her laptop. I will get my husband a PS4 game as well for Christmas that will hopefully work with the steering wheel I’m getting my daughter.
efc_4ever25/11/2019 13:03

saz269625/11/2019 13:20

I don’t know much about games so you could be right. I know my husband h …I don’t know much about games so you could be right. I know my husband hasn’t got it on his PS4 but my daughter plays it on her laptop. I will get my husband a PS4 game as well for Christmas that will hopefully work with the steering wheel I’m getting my daughter.

"Forza Motorsport 7" & "Forza Horizon 4" are both for PC (Windows 10) & Xbox One:

[ xbox.com/en-…a-7 ]
[ microsoft.com/en-…tab ]

"Forza Street" is for PC (iOS & Android):

[ forzamotorsport.net/en-…eet ]
Just to be clear, OP

- the G29 is for PS4 and PC

-the G920 is for Xbox One and PC.

As long as there isn't an Xbox One on the scene then it's the G29 that you require.

logitechg.com/en-…tml

Edit: If you want a driving game for your husband, if he hasn't already played it then Driveclub is still the best racing game on PS4, even though it's one of the oldest. And, BONUS, it's also dirt cheap now.
Edited by: "deeky" 25th Nov
deeky25/11/2019 13:35

Just to be clear, OP - the G29 is for PS4 and PC-the G920 is for Xbox One …Just to be clear, OP - the G29 is for PS4 and PC-the G920 is for Xbox One and PC.As long as there isn't an Xbox One on the scene then it's the G29 that you require. https://www.logitechg.com/en-gb/products/driving/driving-force-racing-wheel.html

cheers deeky

I ended up getting him a thrustmaster T80 for £49.99 at Argos. I know the Logitech is alot better but he's only 10 and I need to make sure he's into it all at first before spending more money
efc_4ever25/11/2019 13:40

cheers deekyI ended up getting him a thrustmaster T80 for £49.99 at … cheers deekyI ended up getting him a thrustmaster T80 for £49.99 at Argos. I know the Logitech is alot better but he's only 10 and I need to make sure he's into it all at first before spending more money

Ah..oh I'm sure he'll be delighted with it

Added an edit for your bloke's driving game ^^

Just to be clear, OP - the G29 is for PS4 and PC-the G920 is for Xbox One …Just to be clear, OP - the G29 is for PS4 and PC-the G920 is for Xbox One and PC.As long as there isn't an Xbox One on the scene then it's the G29 that you require. https://www.logitechg.com/en-gb/products/driving/driving-force-racing-wheel.html

Déjà vu, @Haircut_100 ?:)

[ hotukdeals.com/com…887 ]

Seriously, I hope the PlayStation 4 gamer(s) got to experience #DRIVECLUB before that went offline; @deeky liked that, if I recall correctly.

"Need for Speed: Heat" has just been released too:

[ ea.com/en-…eat ]

PS. "List of Logitech Racing Wheels compatible games"

[ en.wikipedia.org/wik…mes ]

...Edit: If you want a driving game for your husband, if he hasn't already …...Edit: If you want a driving game for your husband, if he hasn't already played it then Driveclub is still the best racing game on PS4, even though it's one of the oldest. And, BONUS, it's also dirt cheap now.

^ #DRIVECLUB goes offline in 2020. It was removed from PlayStation Store on 31 August 2019.

You may even struggle to find it on Blu-ray Disc now... unless you buy pre-owned from eBay, CeX, GAME in-store, or a marketplace/forum etc.
fanpages25/11/2019 13:52

^ #DRIVECLUB goes offline in 2020. It was removed from PlayStation Store …^ #DRIVECLUB goes offline in 2020. It was removed from PlayStation Store on 31 August 2019.You may even struggle to find it on Blu-ray Disc now... unless you buy pre-owned from eBay, CeX, GAME in-store, or a marketplace/forum etc.

Oh no!

Hmmm, my copy may be a collectors item soon
fanpages25/11/2019 13:56

[ https://www.playstation.com/en-au/games/driveclub-ps4 ][Image] See:[ …[ https://www.playstation.com/en-au/games/driveclub-ps4 ][Image] See:[ https://www.playstation.com/en-au/legal/gameservers/ ]

I'm not sure what you would lose by the server going offline? I only played SP anyway, there's always too much silliness in online racing. Only once or twice did I find a genuine player who wanted to race properly with me.
fanpages25/11/2019 13:50

Déjà vu, @Haircut_100 ?:)[ h …Déjà vu, @Haircut_100 ?:)[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/39051887 ]Seriously, I hope the PlayStation 4 gamer(s) got to experience #DRIVECLUB before that went offline; @deeky liked that, if I recall correctly."Need for Speed: Heat" has just been released too:[ https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/need-for-speed/need-for-speed-heat ][Video] PS. "List of Logitech Racing Wheels compatible games"[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Logitech_Racing_Wheels_compatible_games ]

Did you miss my edit? ^^

39110379-XAsRx.jpg
deeky25/11/2019 14:14

Did you miss my edit? ^^[Image]

No, I had started typing my initial comment before you posted yours with the Edit.

Just to be clear, OP - the G29 is for PS4 and PC-the G920 is for Xbox One …Just to be clear, OP - the G29 is for PS4 and PC-the G920 is for Xbox One and PC.As long as there isn't an Xbox One on the scene then it's the G29 that you require. https://www.logitechg.com/en-gb/products/driving/driving-force-racing-wheel.htmlEdit: If you want a driving game for your husband, if he hasn't already played it then Driveclub is still the best racing game on PS4, even though it's one of the oldest. And, BONUS, it's also dirt cheap now.

Thank you, I’m going to wait and see if I can get a deal below £150 for the G29 on Black Friday. If not I might have a look into the £49.99 Thrustmaster T80 Argos one if it’s still on offer. I need to look into whether that one is ok for a pc as well as PS4. The reviews for this G29 one seem very good though in comparison to the Thrustmaster. And thanks for info on driveclub
Edited by: "saz2696" 25th Nov
fanpages25/11/2019 13:50

Déjà vu, @Haircut_100 ?:)[ h …Déjà vu, @Haircut_100 ?:)[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/39051887 ]Seriously, I hope the PlayStation 4 gamer(s) got to experience #DRIVECLUB before that went offline; @deeky liked that, if I recall correctly."Need for Speed: Heat" has just been released too:[ https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/need-for-speed/need-for-speed-heat ][Video] PS. "List of Logitech Racing Wheels compatible games"[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Logitech_Racing_Wheels_compatible_games ]

Thank you, this link will be very helpful when I’m game hunting on Friday

en.m.wikipedia.org/wik…mes
Logitech from amazon warehouse deals, keep an eye out for the extra 20% off also...
fanpages25/11/2019 14:19

No, I had started typing my initial comment before you posted yours with …No, I had started typing my initial comment before you posted yours with the Edit.

Any stands you can recommend my friend for the thrustmaster T80
efc_4ever27/11/2019 11:50

Any stands you can recommend my friend for the thrustmaster T80

Hi... Doesn't the T80 have a clamp on the bottom so you can attach it to a desk/table?

(Stops being lazy & goes off to look...)

39139817-tFMeF.jpg
Yes, I thought so!

Hence, you don't need a dedicated racing stand for it... as that will boost your (cough, Santa's) outlay considerably.

Assuming you already have a table & a chair that are study enough, of course.

All my kids & I now all play (independently; some of us in different towns) sat upright at a desk with a monitor (or plural) on top, so perhaps I forget what it used to be like when we were all hunched-over on low seats (or the floor) sat next to each other right into front of the TV!

Do you really have the room for a stand?
Personally no I don't think he has enough room for a stand but my wife is insisting on getting a stand. I said to just clamp it to his table like in your photo. I also think it looks better than these cheap looking stands.

I love this

39140024.jpgWouldn't fit in his room though
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 27th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions