PC graphic card for around £50

Posted 1st Aug
Hi,
I am considering building a budget PC based around ryzen 3100/3300 and B450, but I cannot justify spending a fortune on a graphic card and dont want to have integrated graphic.
I have found recently that 2nd hand nvidia gtx970 could be bought for around £50 on ebay and even though it is a very old card it is doing reasonably well even with recent games.
Could you recommend anything better in that price tag?
thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
I doubt you can get a GTX 970 for that price on ebay.
I_Wish01/08/2020 10:52

I doubt you can get a GTX 970 for that price on ebay.

Yeah, they're probably looking at an auction that hasn't ended yet, or a faulty one.
Edited by: "m3racer123" 1st Aug
What do you want that an old graphics card will have but modern, cutting edge integrated graphics won't?

You'll probably get something a little bit faster, maybe 1.5x the speed in games but it'll be worse in every other way
Have you taken into account the power requirements?
Older high spec graphics cards will draw a lot of power so you could easily end up needing to upgrade your power supply as well.

What's the computer going to be for?
If it's gaming then you need aim to spend 1/3 or more of the budget on the graphics card.
If you're building on a really tight budget don't rule out integrated graphics.

google.com/amp…amp
EndlessWaves01/08/2020 12:52

What do you want that an old graphics card will have but modern, cutting …What do you want that an old graphics card will have but modern, cutting edge integrated graphics won't? You'll probably get something a little bit faster, maybe 1.5x the speed in games but it'll be worse in every other way

Maybe they want to have a good experience and play in i.e 1080p, solid 60 FPS?
Look for a used RX series on ebay.
zworld01/08/2020 13:33

Look for a used RX series on ebay.

Seconded. Probably optimistic in the current (rubbish) used graphics card climate, but if you can stretch that budget slightly a ex-mining RX470/570 might be a possibility, especially the made for mining type cards that only have one display out.

Yes, before others say it, you are taking a risk on an ex-mining card lasting (though usually the first thing to go is the fan which is user replaceable) and won't be able to do multi-monitor on a one output card, but at £50 at a terrible time to buy a graphics card anyway you are going to have to make some big compromises (sorry). At least a used, ex mining RX470/570 will give you the best possible bang for the buck.

If you just go regular consumer GPUs you will probably have to go with something much weaker, which as others mentioned may not do much better than the integrated GPU.

If you want a new GPU for £50 you can pretty well forget it, only thing you are likely to find is cards which WILL be worse than integrated like the old nvidia GT710....
thanks for all your replies

only recently have found gtx 970 and indeed the final price of the auction would be above £75 what is on par with refurbished rx470 posted sometimes on hukd

are these rx470 better choice than gtx 970?

I am using 10 years old laptop atm and have quite a lot of games to catch up, so dont need anything modern for now, however I would probably upgrade graphic card in a few years time.

I have considered rx580 for some time, but £150 is a quite a lot of money, however it is not that much more considering older second hand card for £75+

unfortunately I am not keen on these integrated graphics

any advice would be much appreciated
Edited by: "black_obsydian" 1st Aug
GPU market is always all over the place. If it’s not mining, it’s disease and pestilence, if it’s not disease and pestilence, it’s Nvidia taking the mick
black_obsydian01/08/2020 14:23

unfortunately I am not keen on these integrated graphics

Why not? They've moved on hugely since the days when Intel were producing ones that didn't even support Hardware T&L or AMD ones were half a decade out of date.

Modern integrated graphics are part of the CPU so they're cutting edge, very capable and worthy replacements for the low end graphics cards they've replaced.
EndlessWaves01/08/2020 15:10

Why not? They've moved on hugely since the days when Intel were producing …Why not? They've moved on hugely since the days when Intel were producing ones that didn't even support Hardware T&L or AMD ones were half a decade out of date.Modern integrated graphics are part of the CPU so they're cutting edge, very capable and worthy replacements for the low end graphics cards they've replaced.

I guess the power of cpu will be also compromised and the graphic outputs will be worse than the old graphic cards like gtx 970 mentioned initially, however i am aware this is much cheaper solution
It’s an investment that you’ll spend a lot of time with. Just up the budget or buy the below and have leftover money.

ebay.co.uk/itm…388
Vencurse:
It’s an investment that you’ll spend a lot of time with. Just up the budget or buy the below and have leftover money.

ebay.co.uk/itm…388

still 2 times better than my current card
Edited by: "black_obsydian" 1st Aug
I never supported Onboard Intel graphics until I managed to play Mirror's Edge 1 on medium settings on a 2nd gen i7
It has definitely gotten better over the years.
If you're going to upgrade it later on, then get a CPU with integrated graphics and instead of swapping out the GPU you'll just be able to add the GPU. Anything you're going to get for dead on £50 and under will almost definitely be summarised with one word: crap
Narod02/08/2020 13:40

If you're going to upgrade it later on, then get a CPU with integrated …If you're going to upgrade it later on, then get a CPU with integrated graphics and instead of swapping out the GPU you'll just be able to add the GPU. Anything you're going to get for dead on £50 and under will almost definitely be summarised with one word: crap

it makes sense, i am starting to rethinking it... integrated graphic or good card now maybe rx580 8gb for £150?
The logical answer is buy a ryzen 3400g and put up with integrated graphics. Then when you find a deal for a gfx card you buy that. Once you have your gfx card you can then upgrade your cpu when you need to.
Just remember if you spend less than a console, don't expect the same performance as one.

Ryzen 3300 is a really good cpu. You should try and get a gtx 1060 from ebay for around £100, it's more expensive but will easily play anything in 1080p maxed, especially with that cpu. Also make sure you get an ssd, even if it's a small 120gb one.

Here's a benchmark of 40 games played with a 3300 and a gtx 1060.
youtube.com/wat…mzk
Edited by: "marcus_black" 3rd Aug
ended up with ryzen 3400g and I'm impressed how good it is. I will upgrade it in the future in small steps so it works for me.
Post a comment
@
    Text