Pc Graphics Card help

Posted 25th Oct
Hi, I’m looking for a new graphics card and wanting to spend around £150 second hand, I’ve heard the Radeon RX580 8GB is one of the best for that kind of money but I would appreciate any other recommendations and opinions on the RX580.
Thanks
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

17 Comments
Hi! I’m not an expert on PC building but have lots of background knowledge. Whilst the RX 580 is an amazing value card, if you were comfortable with overclocking, perhaps consider a GTX 1660, or a GeForce 1050 Ti or 1060, which both have similar to faster clock speeds than the RX580. Currently several cards are on sale on a website I will leave linked. The RX580 is an amazing card overall though !
You can get a brand new RX580 for £160 with a free game, just search it up here. There is no better card in this price range. I would strongly recommend buying the RX580 over the GTX 1060 unless low power consumption and noise levels are priorities.
i'd save oney and spunk £1100 on a 2080ti. personaly no point wasting 150..
CCL have a 4GB version for £134 new with Borderlands 3/ Ghost Recon: Breakpoint.

I note that you've mentioned getting an 8GB version, but it's somewhat questionable how much benefit you'll get for the additional cost - there's quite a few review sites that indicates that the improvement isn't significant. Obviously, this may change going forward - newer games at 4k may have bigger texture packs, but if you're "only" gaming at 1080p or lower the benefit may be limited.
Tom_Dixon1234525/10/2019 23:44

Hi! I’m not an expert on PC building but have lots of background k …Hi! I’m not an expert on PC building but have lots of background knowledge. Whilst the RX 580 is an amazing value card, if you were comfortable with overclocking, perhaps consider a GTX 1660, or a GeForce 1050 Ti or 1060, which both have similar to faster clock speeds than the RX580. Currently several cards are on sale on a website I will leave linked. The RX580 is an amazing card overall though !

The 1050Ti is not on paar with a 580. The 1060 is about the same but not the 3gb Vram version.
Looking on eBay it may be possible to get a GTX1070 for around £150 given the 10% off codes. You should check gumtree as well. This is a significantly faster card but if you're only outputting at 1080p you may not see too much benefit. My only worry would be lack of warranty on a generation of cards that were used for mining but I don't know the failure rate on old cards. The AMD cards also typically include at least one game depending on retailer which makes them very good value. The rx590 is basically an over clocked 580 so there is room for improvement (but you will want a decent PSU).
Tom_Dixon1234525/10/2019 23:44

Hi! I’m not an expert on PC building but have lots of background k …Hi! I’m not an expert on PC building but have lots of background knowledge. Whilst the RX 580 is an amazing value card, if you were comfortable with overclocking, perhaps consider a GTX 1660, or a GeForce 1050 Ti or 1060, which both have similar to faster clock speeds than the RX580.

Comparing clock speeds across entirely different designs of chip is meaningless. You may as well declare a Honda Jazz is just as sporty as a big diesel super saloon because they both redline at 6500rpm.

You need to be looking at performance in the workload you're using the card for (e.g. gaming, video editing, modelling, compute etc.)
Maggy123426/10/2019 09:19

The 1050Ti is not on paar with a 580. The 1060 is about the same but not …The 1050Ti is not on paar with a 580. The 1060 is about the same but not the 3gb Vram version.

But the 1050 Ti overclocking ability allows it to usually outperform the 580? Correct me if I’m mistaken just the GeForce cards are usually very strong in that field
Tom_Dixon1234526/10/2019 10:19

But the 1050 Ti overclocking ability allows it to usually outperform the …But the 1050 Ti overclocking ability allows it to usually outperform the 580? Correct me if I’m mistaken just the GeForce cards are usually very strong in that field

Hi Tom, I'm no expert either but you can't compare clock speeds between AMD and Geforce graphics cards as they have completely different architecture. The 1050Ti was at one point the best bang for buck but now that mining isn't cost effective AMD cards are much cheaper but less in vogue than Geforce likely as they are less power efficient.
The 580 is about 50% faster than a 1050Ti and it isn't possible to close this gap with overclocking as it would melt. One of the main selling features of the 1050Ti was that it drew so little power most cards don't have or need the additional ATX power connector.
Comparison
Note that you can get the Vega 56 for £200 new which will give better performance than a GTX1070 in most new AAA games. You just need to draw the line on what you need and how far you want to stretch your budget. I (just about) get by on an RX570.
Note that I assume you are not constrained by your CPU.
Thank you all for your help, I should have included my pc specs beforehand to give you a better understanding of what GPU would be best for me.
* Intel i7-4770k 3.5GHz Overclocked to 4GHz
* 16GB Ram
* Intel HD Graphics 4600
* Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W Power Supply
*Windows 10
Anthonyb126/10/2019 11:32

Thank you all for your help, I should have included my pc specs beforehand …Thank you all for your help, I should have included my pc specs beforehand to give you a better understanding of what GPU would be best for me.* Intel i7-4770k 3.5GHz Overclocked to 4GHz* 16GB Ram* Intel HD Graphics 4600* Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W Power Supply*Windows 10

Still a very good system. You would be very unlikely to CPU bottleneck your system regardless of GPU you choose. Black Friday/cyber Monday will be coming up next month and you will probably see retailers shifting old Vega stock so you might get a decent price if you hold off.
Maggy123426/10/2019 12:17

Still a very good system. You would be very unlikely to CPU bottleneck …Still a very good system. You would be very unlikely to CPU bottleneck your system regardless of GPU you choose. Black Friday/cyber Monday will be coming up next month and you will probably see retailers shifting old Vega stock so you might get a decent price if you hold off.

Okay that’s probably a good idea to wait until then, thanks for your help
Maggy123426/10/2019 10:34

Hi Tom, I'm no expert either but you can't compare clock speeds between …Hi Tom, I'm no expert either but you can't compare clock speeds between AMD and Geforce graphics cards as they have completely different architecture. The 1050Ti was at one point the best bang for buck but now that mining isn't cost effective AMD cards are much cheaper but less in vogue than Geforce likely as they are less power efficient.The 580 is about 50% faster than a 1050Ti and it isn't possible to close this gap with overclocking as it would melt. One of the main selling features of the 1050Ti was that it drew so little power most cards don't have or need the additional ATX power connector.Comparison

Fair enough! Thanks for the feedback
Tom_Dixon1234526/10/2019 15:46

Fair enough! Thanks for the feedback

No problem, technology moves very fast. I had to research this all for the kids last Xmas and still wouldn't be familiar with the new 20 series gfx cards. Will get a few years out of my rx570 and ageing PC until I need a full system build. I better start saving now LOL.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants