Groups

PC hard drive problem

The hard drive in my pc has started to make a squealing noise or some dodgy sound doesn't sound good anyway. The only problem is I have no idea what type of hard drive it takes IDE or SATA I bought it about 6 - 7 years ago so I'm thinking more likely IDE, anyway I can find out? Is it best just to open it up and have a look?

Anyone know the best way to do a backup too?

7 Comments

Contol Panel, Device Manager, Disks then right click for Properties

Right Click on My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager, click on Disk Drives, Details.

Or

Start, Run and paste / type this in devmgmt.msc

6-7 years is mostly likely IDE, SATA only started becoming popular about 5 years ago.
    You can check by using the Device Manager, or to confirm (seeing as you'll be opening it up to replace the drive):
    IDE
    http://www.gshop.com.au/images/ide_133_cable.jpg

SATA
    http://www.dakltd.co.uk/catalog/images/sata.jpg

As for backing up, have a look at ]this

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replys left you all Rep, the IDE cable looks familiar. It would probably be better for me to just buy a new PC but I'll wait till after Christmas to do that.

Banned

dogtanian84;6773105

Thanks for all the replys left you all Rep, the IDE cable looks familiar. … Thanks for all the replys left you all Rep, the IDE cable looks familiar. It would probably be better for me to just buy a new PC but I'll wait till after Christmas to do that.

If your hard drive is making those noises you don't have till christmas

Best choice for backup is an external USB drive
    blahdvd.com/Hw/…htm

Original Poster

I've got a 1TB external USB drive so I'll be backing up the main things holiday snaps, music etc. Might try the program MrBrightside mentioned if its easy to restore everything.

As has been said better safe than sorry. If you have no backup like a hard disk or dvd's then backup online. Adrive.com basic gives you 50gb free storage.:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction1539
      2. Car park fine UKPC1314
      3. Unexpected house guest query (Ratatouille)811
      4. How much would I get for iPhone 6S 64gb rose gold unlocked like new conditi…22

See more discussions