PC hardware geniuses?

Posted 22nd Jun
any one know how I can fix my hard drives?

my dad's PC stopped working (suspected PSU or motherboard) but before I went to his house to look at it I told him to change the CMOS battery and in doing so he snapped the sata pins off one of the hard drives.

as the hard drives were both the same I took the board off one and put in the other and now even when I put the board back onto the other hard drive neither are showing up in disk management.

any ideas?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
"as the hard drives were both the same I took the board off one and put in the other and now even when I put the board back onto the other hard drive neither are showing up in disk management."

You mean you swapped the HDD logic boards? You're in for a real bad time if you did that.
8 Comments
"as the hard drives were both the same I took the board off one and put in the other and now even when I put the board back onto the other hard drive neither are showing up in disk management."

You mean you swapped the HDD logic boards? You're in for a real bad time if you did that.
jimhuf22/06/2020 08:09

"as the hard drives were both the same I took the board off one and put in …"as the hard drives were both the same I took the board off one and put in the other and now even when I put the board back onto the other hard drive neither are showing up in disk management."You mean you swapped the HDD logic boards? You're in for a real bad time if you did that.

Yeah I did 😳
Why on earth would changing the cmos battery be the first port of call?
Daftfool66622/06/2020 08:27

Why on earth would changing the cmos battery be the first port of call?

On the Dell symtom checker it was on the list we were working down.

The PC won't boot up, the fans are spinning on and off.
Edited by: "you_gotta_be_kidding" 22nd Jun
you_gotta_be_kidding22/06/2020 08:16

Yeah I did 😳

depending on the drives, the logic boards contain flash memory that stores info about the drive states. You might get lucky and swapping them back will be fine. On the flip side you could have just wrecked two drives.
How important/vital is the data?
Is any of it backed up anywhere? cloud?
If none of it is backed up and it is important/vital then you are looking at contacting a commercial data recovery expert.
Post a comment
@
    Text