Groups

PC HELP!!!

Got 1 grand need a gaming PC for AAA titles monitor keyboard and mouse thinking about going with RYZEN but tell me what you have got

12 Comments

yoyotech.co.uk.
    bought from this company recently, cheapest I could find prebuilt. go for 6700k + 16gb ddr4 3000mhz. or partpicker.co.uk if wish to build yourself.

i7 Extreme 3.6Ghz, 32GB Ram, 1TB HHD, 128GB SSD, Asus Phoebus Sound Card, Asus Titan Graphics card. I must have paid about £3,000+ at the time.

I think you should be able to get a Ryzen 1700, 16GB and RX480 (NOT GTX1070, sorry about that) into that budget, depending on what storage, monitor, case, cooling etc you also want to get. The Ryzen X CPUs might be a bit too much of a stretch, but try! Pcpartpicker should be quite helpful.

Don't expect a 4K or VR capable rig for this budget, but it'll be a very decent 1080p gaming spec.
    Edited by: "sergiup" 2nd Mar

You go for £1.1k or 1K if you don't go overboard with the case and psu(no ssd as well), you can get an R7 1700/I7 6700K(Benchmarks out 3pm today) and a GTX 1070!

aminmoh

You go for £1.1k or 1K if you don't go overboard with the case and psu(no … You go for £1.1k or 1K if you don't go overboard with the case and psu(no ssd as well), you can get an R7 1700/I7 6700K(Benchmarks out 3pm today) and a GTX 1070!

Why build a gaming machine and not put a ssd in?

SENNYO1

Why build a gaming machine and not put a ssd in?

​Budget. You could buy an SSD then buy a HDD after, depends on how long it'll take for you to buy the next part.

The reviews are out and the hype didn't Ryzen for long. Go with Intel for gaming.

tempt

The reviews are out and the hype didn't Ryzen for long. Go with Intel for … The reviews are out and the hype didn't Ryzen for long. Go with Intel for gaming.

It still very much depends on what you're playing, whether you stream, and what your budget is. But yeah, you go Intel if it makes you happy

sergiup

It still very much depends on what you're playing, whether you stream, … It still very much depends on what you're playing, whether you stream, and what your budget is. But yeah, you go Intel if it makes you happy

In what way? I haven't seen anything to suggest that Ryzen is better than Intel's i5 alternatives at anything, despite being nearly double the cost.

dxx

In what way? I haven't seen anything to suggest that Ryzen is better than … In what way? I haven't seen anything to suggest that Ryzen is better than Intel's i5 alternatives at anything, despite being nearly double the cost.

Really? Which i5, which benchmarks, under what conditions? Are you buying for NOW or for future proofing? Are you overclocking?

It's a much more complex question than an overly simplistic "what's better?", so I say it again: buy whatever makes you happy, in the end that actually matters more than what some guy (or gal) on the Internet thinks; people tend to do that anyway, look at nVidia's years of superior sales despite lower performance and/or higher power consumption for example (not the case recently though, now they're finally better though not necessarily cheaper).
    Edited by: "sergiup" 8th Mar

sergiup

Really? Which i5, which benchmarks, under what conditions? Are you buying … Really? Which i5, which benchmarks, under what conditions? Are you buying for NOW or for future proofing? Are you overclocking?It's a much more complex question than an overly simplistic "what's better?", so I say it again: buy whatever makes you happy, in the end that actually matters more than what some guy (or gal) on the Internet thinks; people tend to do that anyway, look at nVidia's years of superior sales despite lower performance and/or higher power consumption for example (not the case recently though, now they're finally better though not necessarily cheaper).

Haswell, Skylake, and Kabylake i5 Ks, any game, any condition. Again, for half the money. Overclocked or stock, although overclocking, it should be noted, pushes things even further in Intel's favour, since Ryzen can't go much more than a couple hundred MHz above stock.

Anyway, at the risk of making you sound like a bit of a fanboy, when did Nvidia last have inferior performance to AMD? Five years ago?

dxx

Haswell, Skylake, and Kabylake i5 Ks, any game, any condition. Again, for … Haswell, Skylake, and Kabylake i5 Ks, any game, any condition. Again, for half the money. Overclocked or stock, although overclocking, it should be noted, pushes things even further in Intel's favour, since Ryzen can't go much more than a couple hundred MHz above stock. Anyway, at the risk of making you sound like a bit of a fanboy, when did Nvidia last have inferior performance to AMD? Five years ago?

i5-7600k is about £230 and doesn't come with a cooler, so say about £25 for that = £255
    R7 1700 is about £320 and includes a perfectly OK cooler.

That's not 100% more for the R7, it's 25% more for twice the number of cores and threads, and more than twice the cache.

In Cinebench R15, Blender etc and other similar decently multi-threaded apps, the R7 1700 obliterates the i5-7600K, and usually beats the i7-7700K as well.

In various gaming benchmarks you're right, the i5-7600K tends to score higher than the R7 1700, but:
    - in a fair few benchmarks the difference isn't that large; often it's not actually something that most people would even notice, as long as your minimum and average FPS are high enough; obviously pro gamers might notice more, but how many of those are not buying far more expensive CPUs anyway?
    - future games are (hopefully) going to be further optimised for multi-threading, driven in part by console development
    - take a look at this review for example at around the 5:45 mark; the FPS differences between the R7 1700 and the i7-7700K are fairly low, but the per-core utilisation on the i7 is significantly higher. This is for 3.7GHz turbo on the AMD vs 4.5GHz on the Intel, most likely lower since not all cores can turbo fully by default, so it's not even a clock-for-clock comparison.

If you are someone who also streams their gameplay at the same time, the advantage for a Ryzen CPU should be pretty obvious. If you're aiming to keep the CPU for more than a couple of years, the same applies.

If, however, all you genuinely want is the fastest pure gaming CPU TODAY, then yes the i5-7600K or i7-7700K win. This isn't a problem or an issue at all, so don't understand me the wrong way, it's simply about trying to educate an end user to pick what's best for THEIR requirements.

nVidia vs AMD - yes it was several years ago, and I said that was the case. I wasn't slating nVidia for what's out there right now, it was simply to illustrate that a lot of people will often choose something because of the brand name, not necessarily for technical and price/performance reasons. I know and agree that this doesn't really apply nowadays for various reasons.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927364
      2. Spotify Family Premium share715
      3. word association Game73944490
      4. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1423

See more discussions