Found 2nd Dec 2008
Hi, i had my friend reformat my pc the other day and for the partition he only put it at 10gb, now my pc is not running right because it keeps coming up low disk space or no disk space, how can i fix this probelm?

cheers ppl

1. Misc
  2. PC
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. PC
22 Comments

Banned

why did he partition the drive anyway?

what size partitions do you have now and what OS and which drive does the OS reside on?

Might be worth deleting the old windows install files

If your hard disk is bigger than 10Gb then there is probably an area of your hard disk that has NOT been formatted.

You can format this area and it will become a new drive (D or E or whatever the next free drive letter is).

You could then move all your personal files to this new drive (mp3 files etc).

If you are still short of space you can go into Windows and move your pagefile to this new drive (the pagefile is a large file that Windows uses as a temporary work file). Once your pagefile is on this new drive then you should be OK. If you dont know how to do this just ask.

It does make some sense on a hard disk to have a "small" partition for windows (your 10Gb partition) and the rest of the drive for your personal files. That way if Windows crashes and you need to reinstall it, the files on the other partition are safe.

Original Poster Banned

its a 80gb hard drive, and its windows xp, he reckoned that 10gb would be enough for xp, but i dunno lol

Original Poster Banned

i also have a second hard drive installed which is 80gb, anything i could do with that or just keep it for files? how do i do that pagefile thing aswell mate?

Yeah 10gb is fine for just the OS, just don't keep any data you want to keep on that drive, makes it so mush easier to re-install XP again fi you don't need to move data about etc etc

seanbwfc;3631575

its a 80gb hard drive, and its windows xp, he reckoned that 10gb would be … its a 80gb hard drive, and its windows xp, he reckoned that 10gb would be enough for xp, but i dunno lol

10Gb will be plenty for XP, but it depends what else you put on that 10Gb.

I assume the 10Gb is your "C" drive so you need to find out what other drives you have.

Open "My Computer" and see what other hard drives and CD/DVD drives you have. Maybe you could let us know what hard drives and CD/DVD drives you have.

He may have already made another partition on the rest of the drive which may be D or E, and you probably have a CD/DVD drive and that may be D or E.

If you have no other hard drive (only the 10Gb "C") then you need to format the rest of the drive. This is fairly easy to do. If you dont know how to do it just ask.

Once the rest of the hard drive is formatted (ther other 70Gb) then you basically start using that to store all your personal files. If you normally store your digital pictures, or mp3 files, or videos, on the "C" drive then start storing them on "D" or "E" (whichever is your hard drive partition)

seanbwfc;3631605

how do i do that pagefile thing aswell mate?

To be honest, if you have 10Gb for Windows and your programs then that should be fine, and you dont need to move your pagefile.

Note you can only move your pagefle if you have another formatted partition.

You do it as follows:

Open Windows Control Panel and choose Performance and Maintenance.

Select System then in the System Properties window select the Advanced tab

In the Performance area press Settings button and you get a Performance Options window

Select the Advanced tab and at the bottom you see a "Virtual Memory" area.

Press the Change button and the Virtual Memory window is displayed.

Select a different drive (other than C) and then press OK.

You need to reboot for it to take effect.

Original Poster Banned

i only have a "C" drive, which says "free space 279mb" how would i format the rest of the hard drive? thanks guys

seanbwfc;3631670

i only have a "C" drive, which says "free space 279mb" how would i format … i only have a "C" drive, which says "free space 279mb" how would i format the rest of the hard drive? thanks guys

You do it as follows:

(this is from memory as I have no unformatted hard disk to try it on at the moment):

Open Windows Control Panel and choose Performance and Maintenance.

Select Administrative Tools and the Administrative Tools window is displayed.

Double click on Computer Management and the Computer Management window opens.

Click on Disk Management on the left and the right hand side shows your various disks.

Find the area of disk to the RIGHT of the C drive (it says something like Free Space or Unallocated).

RIGHT click on it, and from the menu select Format.

Select NTFS as the "type" and leave the size as the full size of the free space on the disk. Press OK

It will take a while to format (30 minutes?) so just leave it running.

After a while it will finish and say something like Healthy System.

Make a note of the drive letter it has been given (D, E, F or whatever)

Now you can start using it.

Banned

so you have no second HDD, no DVD drive either then? Looks like your mate has made a right pigs ear of the install.

might just be easier to re-format and reinstall xp

csiman;3631750

so you have no second HDD, no DVD drive either then? Looks like your mate … so you have no second HDD, no DVD drive either then? Looks like your mate has made a right pigs ear of the install.might just be easier to re-format and reinstall xp

He did not say he had no DVD drive, he just did not mention it. He may have one.

I think your suggestion is rather drastic and I see no reason to reinstall XP.

The only thing I am surprised about is that your "friend" did not format any other drives.

Ah, a 10GB partition. It's like being back in 1999 all over again.

My advice would be to either use Partion Magic to resize the partition to a sensible size, or to reformat and start again from scratch, this time with a partition the full size of the harddrive. A 10GB partition for Windows XP does seem like a good idea, but in reality, it just doesn't work out because regardless of whether you tell a program to install to a different partition or not, it will still install shared data to your C:\Program Files folder, and user and program data to your c:\documents and settings\ folder. Add to that the matter of page files, hibernation files, temporary files, system update files and all the like, and you'll soon see 10GB for the painfully retro size that it is. It's a nice number psycologically, but for modern computing, it's pish.

Original Poster Banned

ok thnaks guilbert, just doing that now, thanks for your help. will lwt you know how it goes

Original Poster Banned

whats this partition magic you speak of dxx?

Banned

guilbert53;3631793

He did not say he had no DVD drive, he just did not mention it. He may … He did not say he had no DVD drive, he just did not mention it. He may have one.I think your suggestion is rather drastic and I see no reason to reinstall XP.The only thing I am surprised about is that your "friend" did not format any other drives.

what part of the following didnt you understand lol:-

i only have a "C" drive, which says "free space 279mb"

The fact thats it a new install means it could be a very quick solution to format and reinstall. After all, it only takes an hour or so.

Original Poster Banned

i have a dvd drive, i thought you was only bothered about my hard drive though lol

csiman;3631893

what part of the following didnt you understand lol:-[I]i only have a "C" … what part of the following didnt you understand lol:-[I]i only have a "C" drive, which says "free space 279mb"

> i have a dvd drive, i thought you was only bothered about my hard drive though lol

So I was right.

Pity some people are ready to jump in with both feet before they know all the facts.

Banned

guilbert53;3631948

i have a dvd drive, i thought you was only bothered about my hard drive … > i have a dvd drive, i thought you was only bothered about my hard drive though lol So I was right.Pity some people are ready to jump in with both feet before they know all the facts.

er - wasnt that posted after my comment :whistling:

Yes, it is a pity some people are ready to jump in with both feet before they READ all the facts.

Ten gigabytes is too small for a computer novice to comfortably use XP+. Especially if you've installed an earlier service pack such as SP1 or SP2 then you're really going to be wasting a lot of space just updating.

Banned

abomination;3631995

Ten gigabytes is too small for a computer novice to comfortably use XP+. … Ten gigabytes is too small for a computer novice to comfortably use XP+. Especially if you've installed an earlier service pack such as SP1 or SP2 then you're really going to be wasting a lot of space just updating.

totally agree :thumbsup:

a reformat/reinstall will be far quicker / easier.

I have to contradict something I said earlier.

I did say 10Gb was OK for Windows XP but I am not so sure it is any more.

I run XP on a 40Gb drive, with all my personal files on a second hard disk.

If I look at that 40Gb drive (which JUST has Windows and programs on it, so no personal files), then there is just over 10Gb of data on there.

So Windows XP and all my programs (MS office etc) is taking up 10Gb of space.

So I would do as someone said and use Partition Magic (or similar program) to increase the 10Gb partition to 15Gb or better 20Gb.

Sorry for misleading you earlier.

Banned

If you don't have partition magic try Gparted, its a free alernative.

Just download it and burn it to a cd/dvd, you may need to check your bios is set to boot from the cd/dvd drive first,save the boot order and then boot from the disc you created.

Gparted: gparted.sourceforge.net/

hope it helps
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…4074
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247616
    3. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…46
    4. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3275

See more discussions