Found 9th Jun 2010
Hi, I'm just putting a fresh installation of windows onto my desktop pc & whilst going through the options etc it said that any files currently on there will be moved into a folder named windows.old. That I would still have access to them but not the old windows installation(which I knew)
Now once the installation is complete is there anyway i can get hold of these files & erase them? They're mainly photos of the children so really want them off of it & didn't realise the fresh installation wouldn't erase them
Thanks for any help...

1. Misc
  2. PC
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. PC
19 Comments

Yes the folder will be in the root of your C: drive

Original Poster

danmc;8800760

Yes the folder will be in the root of your C: drive

:? Can you explain that in simple terms, lol. I'm not very technical minded.:oops:

Sounds like you ticked a wrong option somewhere. A totally fresh installation would format the disk and definitely wipe everything. The "old windows" files it refers to won't be your photos though, just windows files that you won't need to worry about and any photos will be where you left them.

Might be worth starting again and check the options as it begins....

Original Poster

tallpete33;8800782

Sounds like you ticked a wrong option somewhere. A totally fresh … Sounds like you ticked a wrong option somewhere. A totally fresh installation would format the disk and definitely wipe everything. The "old windows" files it refers to won't be your photos though, just windows files that you won't need to worry about and any photos will be where you left them. Might be worth starting again and check the options as it begins....

Hhhmm I'll try again once it finishes then. That was what I thought. Although there wasn't really any other options it was pretty straightforward to follow...or so I thought! :oops:

Original Poster

dontasciime;8800959

which operating … which operating systemhttp://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&&sa=X&ei=Bv8PTOG-LYGI0wTcrtWVDg&ved=0CB0QBSgA&q=how+to+fresh+install+windows&spell=1&fp=2a4c1570ee5f6e39

Vista. Googled to show me how to do it originally..:oops:

You do have a backup of you kids photos and anything you want to keep from the hard drive though :yeah ?

Original Poster

dontasciime;8801000

http://www.bootstrike.com/WindowsVista/cleaninstallvista.htmlIt's got … http://www.bootstrike.com/WindowsVista/cleaninstallvista.htmlIt's got pictures :lolremember Custom Advanced

Think that may be where I went wrong actually!

dontasciime;8801037

You do have a backup of you kids photos and anything you want to keep … You do have a backup of you kids photos and anything you want to keep from the hard drive though :yeah ?

Lol thanks...I'll see what happens with this installation and then go with the above

But yeh I did back them all up a couple of times too as they are so precious. I've been holding off clearing the pc for so long cuz of that!

Aah actually I didn't delete the partition.....

Thanks for your help, repped you!

Original Poster

Ok, installation was fine...except i've installed home premium instead of home basics therefore the product key on the side of the pc is not valid. How do I downgrade to Vista Home basics? Any ideas?

Banned

louiseb84;8801861

Ok, installation was fine...except i've installed home premium instead of … Ok, installation was fine...except i've installed home premium instead of home basics therefore the product key on the side of the pc is not valid. How do I downgrade to Vista Home basics? Any ideas?

do the install again using the original home BASICS vista disk.

Original Poster

csiman;8802813

do the install again using the original home BASICS vista disk.

I would...if I still had the disc. The pc is about 3 years old & think it was lost when we moved 1.5yrs ago.

Banned

louiseb84;8802995

I would...if I still had the disc. The pc is about 3 years old & think it … I would...if I still had the disc. The pc is about 3 years old & think it was lost when we moved 1.5yrs ago.

you'll have to try and borrow one from someone or buy one or torrent download a copy.

Original Poster

csiman;8803000

you'll have to try and borrow one from someone or buy one or torrent … you'll have to try and borrow one from someone or buy one or torrent download a copy.

Thanks, I was searching google last night & that's what I found out. I don't know anybody with a copy, so would have to download it. Could you possibly point me in the right direction at all please?

Banned

louiseb84;8803010

Thanks, I was searching google last night & that's what I found out. I … Thanks, I was searching google last night & that's what I found out. I don't know anybody with a copy, so would have to download it. Could you possibly point me in the right direction at all please?

seriously, it isnt easy if you dont knwo anything about it.

see [url]www.utorrent.com[/url] for software then search for torrent web sites for vista, then download a copy of vista, then burn to a dvd, then re-install.

Banned

or see ebay item

Original Poster

csiman;8803100

seriously, it isnt easy if you dont knwo anything about it.see … seriously, it isnt easy if you dont knwo anything about it.see [url]www.utorrent.com[/url] for software then search for torrent web sites for vista, then download a copy of vista, then burn to a dvd, then re-install.

csiman;8803122

or see ebay item220619034384

Thank you for that :thumbsup: rep on way.
I have actually just got back from my local computer shop who is going to run me a copy off to pick up tomorrow.

Banned

louiseb84;8803767

Thank you for that :thumbsup: rep on way.I have actually just got back … Thank you for that :thumbsup: rep on way.I have actually just got back from my local computer shop who is going to run me a copy off to pick up tomorrow.

cool!

how did it go?

Original Poster

csiman;8820103

cool!how did it go?

All sorted thanks, man in the shop gave me a copy for free & installation went fine.

dcx_badass;8821056

Not with Windows 7 it doesn't, I installed it as a clean install on my … Not with Windows 7 it doesn't, I installed it as a clean install on my hard drive and it did a clean Win 7 install, but all my folders were still there in their original folders.You need to do custom, delete the partitions then create a new one and format it to clear all the files during install.

That's what I done in the end
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18206624
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769188
    3. Mercedes-Benz recalls 400,000 cars in UK over airbag fault11
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427214624

See more discussions