Groups

PC help needed

Hi, wonder if anyone can shed any light on this for me.

I recently bought a cheopo CIT case as my old pc was falling apart.

It was a hp one, i took all the bits out and replaced them in the new case, i couldn't use the new power supply as it didn't have the right commector to the mother board, so i used the old one.

when i tried to power up the system, the power supply light (it has one on the back) was flashing and a ticking noise where the fan is trying to start but stops really quicly (so there is a continuous ticking noise)

anyone know what i have done wrong?

10 Comments

Sounds like you've wired it in wrong, and getting overcurrent

Original Poster

i don't know how that could happen as the power connector would only go in one way.

have i killed it then?

post a pic of your setup, that way its easier to see what you have done

Original Poster

dcx_badass

You connected both connectors up (mobo 20/24 pin, and cpu 4/8pin up).

aaaaah,

i only connected 1 , i think i missed the cpu one, i will have a try, if it fails i'll be back, cheers.

if it was the cpu power not connected the psu fan would keep going, pretty sure you have a short there most likely the floppy psu connection.
    or possibly you have looped a splitter
    Edited by: "maddogb" 23rd Jul 2010

Original Poster

maddogb

if it was the cpu power not connected the psu fan would keep going, … if it was the cpu power not connected the psu fan would keep going, pretty sure you have a short there most likely the floppy psu connection. or possibly you have looped a splitter Edited By: maddogb on Jul 23, 2010 03:16: why?

the things i have connected are:

mobo screwed to case
    mobo to the power supply
    power+mobo to dvd drive
    power+mobo to hard drive
    front usb
    front audio
    case fan to mobo

i couldn't figure out which way the power swithch/leds connect so for the time being i have the original switch block with on off switch, as the new ones are separate

i didn't connect the floppy as i thought it wouldn't be needed
    Edited by: "Sagor" 23rd Jul 2010

Sagor

the things i have connected are:mobo screwed to casemobo to the power … the things i have connected are:mobo screwed to casemobo to the power supplypower+mobo to dvd drivepower+mobo to hard drivefront usbfront audiocase fan to moboi couldn't figure out which way the power swithch/leds connect so for the time being i have the original switch block with on off switch, as the new ones are separatei didn't connect the floppy as i thought it wouldn't be needed Edited By: Sagor on Jul 23, 2010 03:24: none

oh dear then, double check any metal spacers between mainboard and chassis, also turn mainboard upside down and make sure no screws have dropped on it and got caught in sensitive places.

Original Poster

hi all, i am back, i figured out that i had screwed the mobo a little bit too tight, so i loosned them a little, now the power supply light comes on and the fan powers up, the case fan powers up, the cpu fan is continuously spins.

now the problem is no display, i cannot see anything on the monitor and my usb mouse and keyboard get nothing

thats cos its failing to boot, most likely due to hardware improperly installed, re-install them and check one by one.

Also im guessing you do not get a post beep

Banned

yes you are right, no beeps or any activity on the keyboard lights
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846238
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?32183
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2437
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio1732

See more discussions