Groups

PC help needed please

Got all of the parts for a pc build earlier and it all went together great, but installing the OS is doing my head in

I've changed the boot options in the BIOS to CD-ROM, then disabled the rest, but it won't boot from it. If I unplug the hard drive it boots from the dvd, so It's definitely a bootable disc, with the hard drive in it tries, says press any key to boot from dvd, which I do, but then it tries to boot from the hard drive and says Windows can't load as It's missing a file (it's an old drive) tried it with another drive and it boots windows xp (another old drive)

The post screen recognises the hdd and dvd drive

Any ideas?

29 Comments

Banned

is the dvd and hd on the same cable?

Original Poster

Nope, dvd is SATA and hdd is IDE

is the hard drive blank ? seems like some windows files are on it that are clashing with the boot.

Banned

have you checked the faq's on the motherboards website

Original Poster

One definitely isn't, one i bought off here so presumed was (but could not be)

I didn't think that mattered, I was planning on formatting the drive during the install (as I have done in the past)

Just seems odd that it boots without the hard drive attached, it gets to the point that it's checking for devices and states there are no supported drives attached, plug it back in and it no longer boots from the CD drive.

The OS is Windows Home Server if that makes any difference to anything

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

have you checked the faq's on the motherboards website

Had a look and can't find anything resembling my problem

Is your keyboard usb or ps/2?

My old pc didn't recognize usb keyboard so it when it say's "boot from disc press any key" I'd press the key but it did nothing, Try using a ps/2 keyboard...!!!

Original Poster

It is USB, and controls the BIOS no problem, but I will hunt out a PS/2 and give it a go. Thanks

Edit - Haven't got one.

When it says 'Press any key to boot' the dots go across as if it's waiting for you to do it, obviously I press a key but nothing happens, so perhaps it is this, jus seems odd that the keyboard controls everything else (navigating around BIOS, Del to entr setup etc.)
    Edited by: "sancho1983" 18th Oct 2010

shauneco

Is your keyboard usb or ps/2?My old pc didn't recognize usb keyboard so … Is your keyboard usb or ps/2?My old pc didn't recognize usb keyboard so it when it say's "boot from disc press any key" I'd press the key but it did nothing, Try using a ps/2 keyboard...!!!

sancho1983

It is USB, and controls the BIOS no problem, but I will hunt out a PS/2 … It is USB, and controls the BIOS no problem, but I will hunt out a PS/2 and give it a go. Thanks

I have this problem with my AM3 build it turned out to be the mouse which caused the keyboard not to register. Any time I have to boot to DVD I have to unplug the mouse.
    It controls the bios perfectly with the mouse in. Just wouldn't allow me to press a key to boot from DVD

Edited by: "trog0" 18th Oct 2010

Banned

Have you tried switching it on then off again?

BFN

fp

Original Poster

shauneco

Is your keyboard usb or ps/2?My old pc didn't recognize usb keyboard so … Is your keyboard usb or ps/2?My old pc didn't recognize usb keyboard so it when it say's "boot from disc press any key" I'd press the key but it did nothing, Try using a ps/2 keyboard...!!!

sancho1983

It is USB, and controls the BIOS no problem, but I will hunt out a PS/2 … It is USB, and controls the BIOS no problem, but I will hunt out a PS/2 and give it a go. Thanks

DJ1

Have you tried switching it on then off again?BFNfp

With a USB keyboard?

I rang a helpline and they suggested that.....

sancho1983

With a USB keyboard?

Yes a Logitech G19 keyboard and a Micriosoft Habu mouse

Really Annoying because I went through all kinds of troubleshooting including changing usb ports using a ps2 converter Etc. Nothing helped but unplugging the mouse!
    Edited by: "trog0" 18th Oct 2010

Original Poster

Tried it without the mouse and still no joy, will borrow a PS/2 keyboard tomorrow and try that.

Not sure what else to do tbh

I had this problem with a laptop 2 days ago ... the dvd drive wouldnt pick up windows 7 disc i could hear the drive trying to read it but it wouldnt ... so i put in windows xp disc in and it picked it up straight away and installed ... after it installed xp i plugged in an external dvd drive have and put windows 7 in that and it asked if i wanted to install so selected yes .. then when it got the wich part of HDD i wanted to put it on i formatted the one with XP on using the tool in windows 7 setup .. then installed windows 7 from there ... It was the long way round but it worked ... some dvd drives are just very picky on what they want to read ...

Original Poster

I could live with that, but it will read it, and boot from it, just without the hard drive being there!!

Might try an old IDE CD Rom tomorrow, and the other Keyboard, then I'll throw it out of the window

It worked for me and if I recall it used to get into bio's ok and it was an AMD if that's of any relevance, However I didn't have to remove the mouse, Just used a ps/2 keyboard, Anyway good luck, Hope you sort it.

is there any jumpers on the HDD .. ?

Make sure you post here if it works after the install as I'm interested as to whats going on with it.Sorry we couldn't be more helpful

sancho1983

I could live with that, but it will read it, and boot from it, just … I could live with that, but it will read it, and boot from it, just without the hard drive being there!!Might try an old IDE CD Rom tomorrow, and the other Keyboard, then I'll throw it out of the window

Clearly it's reading disc's because it's asking you if you want to boot from it, Win 7 is normally on DVD format.

Other alternative would be to boot Windows 7 from usb with a usb dongle, Theirs how to guides on web, But I guess you'd still not get by "Press any key to boot from disc".

was the HDD an old slave drive once? I had fun with the jumper thingies once when I needed to use the old slave as a new master - cannot remember if the problem was like this or not.

dcx_badass

Check the bios for USB keyboard support or similar.Also instead of … Check the bios for USB keyboard support or similar.Also instead of chosing CD rom, see if the actual model name is listed. Sometimes they both are there.

Yeah that was another thing if you don't have your Sata channel set to ide then: What Badass said

>>>>>I've changed the boot options in the BIOS to CD-ROM, then disabled the rest

But you need the hard disk to also be a bootable device or after it has copied all the files from the CD for the first part of the install it will need to boot from the hard disk for the second part of the install.

Set your CD as the first bootable device, the hard disk as your second.

Then after the first part of the install has completed it will ask you to remove the CD and then it can boot from the hard disk.
    Edited by: "guilbert53" 19th Oct 2010

sancho1983

It is USB, and controls the BIOS no problem, but I will hunt out a PS/2 … It is USB, and controls the BIOS no problem, but I will hunt out a PS/2 and give it a go. ThanksEdit - Haven't got one.When it says 'Press any key to boot' the dots go across as if it's waiting for you to do it, obviously I press a key but nothing happens, so perhaps it is this, jus seems odd that the keyboard controls everything else (navigating around BIOS, Del to entr setup etc.)

The dots should STOP once you press the a KEY! There should be some options in the BIOS regarding USB keyboard mouse support - set them to BIOS support and you should be able to press a key.

Simple one as stated by another - change USB Keyboard to PS2 and it will work - once OS has been installed update the MB's BIOS as well.

Original Poster

Thanks guys, hopefully using a PS/2 keyboard will work then.

@guilbert53 -I would normally have the boot order CD, HDD but I disabled them all apart from CD Rom to test - Thanks though

Thanks badass, never thought about looking for the CD Rom name, will check later

@trog0 - What do you mean by having my SATA channel set to IDE?

Original Poster

shauneco

Give that man a doughnut! Tried it with a keyboard I borrowed from work and it booted fine, installing as I type.

Thanks, and to everyone else - I'll know plenty of things to try when I have boot issues in the future

sancho1983

@trog0 - What do you mean by having my SATA channel set to IDE?

there is sometimes a bios option usually on integrated peripherals page to change the sata operating mode between Ide, Raid and Ahci (advanced host controller interface). When it is set to Ahci you get the optical players name in the boot options as well as/instead of just the more generic dvd/cd rom.

If you have this option set it to Ahci once windows is installed as it allows hot plugging and other sata specific features.

Anyway You have it working that's all that matters. Well done everyone for all the helpful tips and not a scathing remark in the whole thread.

Original Poster

Thanks, didn't realise you could allow hot swapping.

sancho1983

Thanks, didn't realise you could allow hot swapping.

Yeah get one of these and you can swap your sata drives in and out
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card66
      2. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine54
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…88
      4. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO22

See more discussions