Groups

PC help neeed please :)

Hi i recently had a trojan virus on my PC which didn't allow me to do prettymuch anything...after installing new anti-virus software the virus has now been cleared and the system is virus free.

However when i now log-on to my user accound all that you can see if the desktop wallpaper...ie all the icon, start menu etc. have dissapeared. I am however still able to run programs via task manager.

any help is appriciated, thanks

20 Comments

I had this a few weeks ago but all I did was restart the computer and it all came back...Don't suppose thats very helpful and I'm guessing you have tried that.

Are you running XP or Vista?

Original Poster

ye its a right pain in the bum! and ye i tried that

This is something else that it probably isn't but have you checked that the "show desktop icons" box is ticked?

Oooh your start menu has gone... hmm

What is the new anti-virus software you installed???

Go to 'run' and type Explorer.exe and click ok
    Edited by: "jonny619447" 2nd Jan 2010

Original Poster

just tried the Explorer.exe and got this message "windows can not access the specified device, path or file"

and ther anti-virus software is called Malware bytes and also have instaled Avast

Did you re-start your PC after it removed the trojan?

Original Poster

yes

Are you running vista OP?

Original Poster

no im on XP

sounds like you haven't fully got rid of the virus, boot into safemode and run avast and malwarebytes again.

I would give system restore ago, can never hurt

The same thing happens to me when I accidently end the explorer.exe using task manager. Perhaps your antivirus is stopping it working or some of the files have been deleted so windows explorer isn't working?!

Original Poster

Hi im back, i have ran both of the anti-virus programs again and found something strange.

On avast it said that the explorer.exe file was infected...

so next i inserted the system restore disc and it wouldnt let me proceed as it said that a service pack that had been recently installed ws stopping it from working...

i have no idea what is wrong

dcx_badass

TBH I always recommend a clean install after a virus just in case. I'd … TBH I always recommend a clean install after a virus just in case. I'd just back up your files and clean install.

Agreed, I keep very little data on my laptop for this very reason, especially considering how cheap you can get a nas for.

In my experience once you've had quite a severe virus the computer is rarely fully right until a clean install.

I had a similar problem a while back , I took note of the infected file name and deleted it manually , and everything went back to normal.

The Trojan has Corrupted your Files/Folders & so it's recommended you reinstall Windows XP.You will need to delete the partition & then install over it again.
    Edited by: "WheresMeNuts" 2nd Jan 2010

SCUNNERED

I had a similar problem a while back , I took note of the infected file … I had a similar problem a while back , I took note of the infected file name and deleted it manually , and everything went back to normal.

unfortunately its rarely this simple
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767176
      2. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…33
      3. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1947
      4. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2527

See more discussions