Groups

pc help please

Have just been given a external hard drive but has connection on I'm not familiar with its just says 1394 connection on back !! is there a lead i can get for this that goes to usb any help on where to get one would be great..thanks

8 Comments

use the forewire connection its faster transfer rate than usb

Original Poster

Sc0ward;2388232

use the forewire connection its faster transfer rate than usb

have not got one on my laptop so needs to be usb on one end is this poss..thanks

or you can buy a firewire pci expansion card although this means taking the cover off of your pc and installing it.

justneo;2388243

have not got one on my laptop so needs to be usb on one end is this … have not got one on my laptop so needs to be usb on one end is this poss..thanks

I don't think such a thing exists but you could use one of these in your laptop PCMCIA slot:

tinyurl.com/3ly8sv

You'll need a firewire cable too. There's two sizes of firewire ports 6 pin and 4 pin. Make sure you get the right end connections on the cable. 4 pin is about the size of a mini usb connection.

Hope this helps.

The cables are available but seemingly only on ebay for around £2 plus postage

What laptop do you have? Most have a four pin firewire connection which is a very different port to the one that will be on the hard drive:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/lifestyle/2001/h4PinFirewireJack.jpeg

If you have this you can use a four to six pin firewire cable.

John

Original Poster

thanks every one at least i know what its called now will have a check on ebay...appriecate all the help...:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sold item on eBay from UK - buyer from USA22
      2. Speccing a gaming pc412
      3. Ps4 slim how much should I charge 2nd hand.712
      4. Legal advice?45

See more discussions