Found 18th Jan 2011
hiya my mum has phoned me and said her pc went off whilst using it and it came up with a balck screen with the message

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

what is this please and can it be fixed??

any help or advice much appreciated thanks

1. Misc
  2. PC
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. PC
7 Comments

looks like the registry has become corrupt .. has she got the recovery disc the pc came with?

try here
Edited by: "snowtiger" 18th Jan 2011

Do you have a windows XP CD ?.

Original Poster

thanks for the quick replies.

No she doesnt have the disc, She bought the pc off ebay about 2 years ago and it didnt come with them

You really need the CD to do a repair or reinstall, anyone who knows what they are doing would be able to save her documents before doing a clean install, Do you know anyone local who repairs PCs ?.Shouldnt really charge you much more than £30 or so,

peardrop21

thanks for the quick replies.No she doesnt have the disc, She bought the … thanks for the quick replies.No she doesnt have the disc, She bought the pc off ebay about 2 years ago and it didnt come with them

You could always use Bart's PE disk downloaded from the net and use that to fix...I find that a complete scandisk usually repairs that error but I could be wrong lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522885
    2. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604830
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314660
    4. clocks go Back weekend 28 October why not check and clean ur smoke alarm at…65262

See more discussions