Groups

Pc help please- Vaio touchpad problems

Wondered if anyone can help me please, just got back from my mums, she has a fairly new sony vaio laptop running windows 7 64bit, all of a sudden the left and right touchpad buttons started playing up, basically only work on the task bar icons, and randomly if you press the left button on search it opens a new tab, other than that they dont respond.

I reinstalled the driver, nothing changed so I rolled back to a previous driver and now the physical buttons work perfectly but now scroll (top and bottom) on the touch pad does not work, typical lol!

should have said I did reinstall the new driver after rolling back, still the buttons would not work properly so then went to the sony site and downloaded it from there in case it was different and installed it again, still no joy, so I had to go back to the old driver as my mum hates tapping the touch pad and also there is not right click from tapping.

any help would be much appreciated, cheers jake

20 Comments

Banned

reinstall the new driver!

see if you can get the latest driver direct from sony's site, seems like its a glitchy one, and might have further updates

Original Poster

jubbyme;8350404

reinstall the new driver!

should have said I did reinstall the new driver after rolling back, still the buttons would not work properly so then went to the sony site and downloaded it from there in case it was different and installed it again, still no joy, so I had to go back to the old driver as my mum hates tapping the touch pad and also there is not right click from tapping.

Banned

Jake1983;8350452

should have said I did reinstall the new driver after rolling back, still … should have said I did reinstall the new driver after rolling back, still the buttons would not work properly so then went to the sony site and downloaded it from there in case it was different and installed it again, still no joy, so I had to go back to the old driver as my mum hates tapping the touch pad and also there is not right click from tapping.

seems like a driver issue, you have already covered the bases
    buy mum a usb mouse! touchpads are a pain!

Original Poster

jubbyme;8350469

seems like a driver issue, you have already covered the bases buy mum a … seems like a driver issue, you have already covered the bases buy mum a usb mouse! touchpads are a pain!

lol, yeah thats what I thought! the laptops only 2 months old though and she hardly uses it so might get the shop to sort it but Ill give it a few more tries tomorrow first though!

Cheers for advice mate, I already repped you:thumbsup:

Banned

are there any other updates from sony? bios?
    sometimes it takes more than just the driver to fix an issue, and a new laptop might also be a new model so they are just discovering some bugs

also, is the microsoft update site coming up with any hardware driver updates?

Original Poster

jubbyme;8350555

are there any other updates from sony? bios?sometimes it takes more than … are there any other updates from sony? bios?sometimes it takes more than just the driver to fix an issue, and a new laptop might also be a new model so they are just discovering some bugs

well I checked the sony update and it says there are no new updates, Im hitting a brick wall!

I found a couple of bizarre solutions here just now,
    ]http//en…key

"Hey.. my Packard Bell touchpad stoped working suddently... İ shuted down my lap top, removed battery for a moment, i presse and hold the start button for 10 seconds... and replaced the battery.. start the lap top.. My touchpad is working again!!! so if your touchpad has stoped working the first thing you have to do is.. doing the same thing i done.. good luck!!"

and also this, people mention unplugging the power lead.....

"I had the same problem with my left click on my vaio. I dunno what was the cause of the problem it just started a few days without any obvious reason, I was using my vaio just like always. After reading the answers here about unplugging the cord, I tried it and it started working and the good thing is that even when I plugged back the cord back it continue working But just to make sure I will buy a new power cord:)"

well I guess its worth a try lol,cant see how it will work though, wish I had brought the laptop home now so I can try it!

Original Poster

jubbyme;8350555

are there any other updates from sony? bios?sometimes it takes more than … are there any other updates from sony? bios?sometimes it takes more than just the driver to fix an issue, and a new laptop might also be a new model so they are just discovering some bugsalso, is the microsoft update site coming up with any hardware driver updates?

Now that is something I forgot to try, fingers crossed:thumbsup:

Banned

i think the above solutions are more to do with someone forgot they turned off the touchpad, , as it is 'working' and just going screwy, all you can do, is once the driver is on, go into the controlpanel and touchpad settings and make sure they are allowing things such as double tap and side scrolling. They are not always turned on
    and make sure buttons are not set reversed or anything

Original Poster

jubbyme;8350632

i think the above solutions are more to do with someone forgot they … i think the above solutions are more to do with someone forgot they turned off the touchpad, , as it is 'working' and just going screwy, all you can do, is once the driver is on, go into the controlpanel and touchpad settings and make sure they are allowing things such as double tap and side scrolling. They are not always turned onand make sure buttons are not set reversed or anything

yeah mate checked all that, with the latest driver all the settings are set correctly and with the old driver (when the buttons work) there is no option for side scrolling anymore! bloody laptop!

Im hoping your microsoft update idea is correct becuase I dont think there is anything else it can be!

Anyway thankyou very much for your help, all the best jake and if you get a eureka moment please let me know lol!

Banned

Jake1983;8350662

yeah mate checked all that, with the latest driver all the settings are … yeah mate checked all that, with the latest driver all the settings are set correctly and with the old driver (when the buttons work) there is no option for side scrolling anymore! bloody laptop! Im hoping your microsoft update idea is correct becuase I dont think there is anything else it can be!Anyway thankyou very much for your help, all the best jake and if you get a eureka moment please let me know lol!

i do have one more

the touchpad MIGHT be made by a company called synaptics (the biggest maker), and if so, their own website might supply some drivers rather than from sony

Original Poster

jubbyme;8350677

i do have one morethe touchpad MIGHT be made by a company called … i do have one morethe touchpad MIGHT be made by a company called synaptics (the biggest maker), and if so, their own website might supply some drivers rather than from sony

now that is a eureka moment! any idea how I could tell who made it? ,will it be in device manager?

Banned

Jake1983;8350696

now that is a eureka moment! any idea how I could tell who made it? ,will … now that is a eureka moment! any idea how I could tell who made it? ,will it be in device manager?

yes, thats the best place to look!, but im afraid win7 isnt something im used to (xp here!)

Original Poster

jubbyme;8350700

yes, thats the best place to look!, but im afraid win7 isnt something im … yes, thats the best place to look!, but im afraid win7 isnt something im used to (xp here!)

:thumbsup: yeah my fat desktop pc is xp too and sticking with it lol, my mrs has vista on her laptop which I F*****G hate and is as bad as everyone says, memory sapping, crashing junk, has 4GB of ram and still doesnt run that smoothly! I've used windows 7 many times, I can see it looks very pretty and is a massive improvement over vista but Im not impressed enough to want it, im happy with my trustworthy, good ol xp!

Banned

try opening the sony utility series and running the pointer device exe there should be a tick box which should be enables and you can access other settings

C:\Program Files\Sony\Setting Utility Series and run VCCPointingDevice.exe

Original Poster

casparwhite;8350948

try opening the sony utility series and running the pointer device exe … try opening the sony utility series and running the pointer device exe there should be a tick box which should be enables and you can access other settings C:\Program Files\Sony\Setting Utility Series and run VCCPointingDevice.exe

nice one, will give it a go:thumbsup:

Just had a quick look though my new VAIO (Windows 7 aswell)
    -The touchpad uses Alps driver ]This driver - couldn't find thier website but was on CNET
    -Also the touchpad icon in the toolbar takes you to option where you can assign diffeent operations to each button. May have changed them by accident.

This is on my new vaio so guessing will be quite simalar.

Original Poster

ErrorOperator;8351062

Just had a quick look though my new VAIO (Windows 7 aswell)-The touchpad … Just had a quick look though my new VAIO (Windows 7 aswell)-The touchpad uses Alps driver ]This driver - couldn't find thier website but was on CNET-Also the touchpad icon in the toolbar takes you to option where you can assign diffeent operations to each button. May have changed them by accident.This is on my new vaio so guessing will be quite simalar.

yes mate exactly the same on my mums hers is only 2 months old, I already checked the touchpad icon in the tool bar, everything is set up as it should be. I recognise the name alps got a feeling it was the driver I downloaded but will double check the link you gave me tomorrow, it was a right pain finding it on the sony site! cheers mate repped!

Banned

depends on the model some use alps some use synaptics(sp) so maybe youve downloaded the wrong driver

i have an ar61s which has synaptics and an fw41 which uses alps

worst comes to worst just f10 and wipe the slate clean after youve backed up ur files

Hi Jake! The same issue happened to me and I have just found a BIZARRE solution, but it did work!

Control Panel > Mouse > Change Mouse Settings > Buttons[TAB]
    Disable all buttons configured in this tab. In my case I had to leave one with "Click", so I left "Both Buttons" = Click.

IT WORKED!

Good luck

André

Original Poster

apasqualin

Hi Jake! The same issue happened to me and I have just found a BIZARRE … Hi Jake! The same issue happened to me and I have just found a BIZARRE solution, but it did work!Control Panel > Mouse > Change Mouse Settings > Buttons[TAB] Disable all buttons configured in this tab. In my case I had to leave one with "Click", so I left "Both Buttons" = Click.IT WORKED!Good luckAndré

Cheers Andre, got it all sorted in the end but nice one for taking the time to try and help me out
    All the best Jake
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What's up with people creating accounts just to ask for UNiDAYS codes?33
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047150
      3. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 187 ***1129
      4. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller66

See more discussions