Groups

PC Help - Printer Sharing

Hi can anyone help please? I set up printer sharing with desktop and laptop pc's a while ago, tested it and it worked fine (the printer is attached to desktop pc). But when I try to print from the laptop now it says something like "The Printer Spooler Service is not working" - does anybody know how I fix this? Your help would be really appreciated, it's driving me mad!!!!!

17 Comments

check if 'spoolsv.exe' is running under the task manager.

Maybe look in what services are running, in the run box type services.msc and see it the spooler service is running!

Original Poster

Thanks guys, I'll try doing that & let you know how I get on

Original Poster

I've tried doing what you suggested and it seems to be running, as it's status says "started" .. I tried clicking on "Restart the service" to see if that helped but every time I try to print from the laptop it still says that the "Spooler Service is not working". I opend up printers/faxes folder on laptop from control panel, and the printer is listed there, but says "unable to connect" underneath the icon. Sorry if I'm not making much sense, but if you could give me any more helpful hints that would be great x

Original Poster

I checked under task manager and it's listed under "Processess" but showing as 00 under CPU ???

Silly question, but is your PC switched on (and connected to your network)?

Are both Computers in the same workgroup?

Original Poster

Hey, no question is silly - this is driving me insane!!! Yes both pc's are switched on & both connected to the internet.

Original Poster

Yes, as far as I'm aware they are in the same workgroup...............I've just had a thought, I switched my broadband over to another supplier - would this have any bearing? If so, what would I have to do?

Can you print from your desktop?

also found this when I Googled

-----Original Message-----I can't print anything! It keeps saying … >-----Original Message----->I can't print anything! It keeps saying "Operationcould not be completed. The print spooler service is notrunning." Please help me!>.>Try setting the print spooler service to automatic.Admin tools>services>print spooler right click on it andselect properties set to automatic (RPC) RemoteProceedure Call also needs to be runnung.

Original Poster

Yes I can print from the desktop pc no probs. I've set the print spooler to automatic on both pcs, and I've set the RPC (there were 2 of these) to automatic on both pcs. When I click on print from the laptop it says I need to install a printer, even though my printer is listed in the printers folder.....as I go through the installation process it searches for printers but is not finding my one ....I'm slowly losing the will to live

have you made sure your firewall has the right settings to allow both access, especially if you have changed suppliers

You could delete the printer from the laptop and try re-adding it?

I'd try deleting the printer on the laptop, then adding it again.

bargainbetty;1697038

Yes, as far as I'm aware they are in the same … Yes, as far as I'm aware they are in the same workgroup...............I've just had a thought, I switched my broadband over to another supplier - would this have any bearing? If so, what would I have to do?

Double check the workgroup names, change in isp would have no effect, alos check both machines are using the same ip range, check this by opening command prompt and typing
    ipconfig /all
    check the ips for the adapters being used (ie if the laptop is running wirelessly)
    These adresses need to be in the same range ir 192.168.2.3 and 192.168.2 so u see first three groups will prob need to match
    nearly forgot,, right click on the printer on desktop, select it as the default printer! and make sure it is shared and also set as default on laptop

Original Poster

ok thanks, I'll have a look at the firewall settings & then try re-adding the printer .... fingers crossed x

Original Poster

thanks maddogb, will try that too ..................wow you're a knowledgeable bunch
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?22
      2. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?710
      3. recent price to fit a standard sized garage door55
      4. Iphone 7 - What Case?618

See more discussions