Prior to that my PC was running "ok"

properties of my computer show

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+ 2.21GHz, 960mb of ram

I have 2x1gb's of ram installed. how do i get my other stick to register

12 Comments

what mobo do you have ?

certain mobo's are restricted in ram capacity due to the bios

Original Poster

can't remember off the top of my head, currently extracting a file which is taking forever lol...

although I belive the mobo can take up to 4gb

fwibble;3554417

can't remember off the top of my head, currently extracting a file which … can't remember off the top of my head, currently extracting a file which is taking forever lol...although I belive the mobo can take up to 4gb

is it seated properly ? is it faulty ?

have you used 2 different types ? they need to be exacxtly the same speed / manufacturer etc

Original Poster

the ram was fine before installing the gfx card... yet removing the gfx card causes further issues...

they were purchased at the same time (the ram) same size and make

You've probably knocked one of the modules slightly out of place when you were installing the card. It's something I've done plenty of times in the past. Just remove both modules and reinstall them, pressing down on them and wobbling them slightly to ensure they're firmly in place. Should be fine after that.

Original Poster

dxx;3554520

You've probably knocked one of the modules slightly out of place when you … You've probably knocked one of the modules slightly out of place when you were installing the card. It's something I've done plenty of times in the past. Just remove both modules and reinstall them, pressing down on them and wobbling them slightly to ensure they're firmly in place. Should be fine after that.

I'll give it ago once my file has extracted... taking forever!! :x

fwibble;3554516

the ram was fine before installing the gfx card... yet removing the gfx … the ram was fine before installing the gfx card... yet removing the gfx card causes further issues...they were purchased at the same time (the ram) same size and make

as dxx said, its probably come unseated, push modules firmly in then reboot the pc

Original Poster

still no joy, wasn't really expecting them to have become lose/knocked, even swapped them over... would i blow my ram if i tried a different slot, at the moment they are in banks 1 & 2 of 1234... which is how thet worked before new gfx card

fwibble;3554778

still no joy, wasn't really expecting them to have become lose/knocked, … still no joy, wasn't really expecting them to have become lose/knocked, even swapped them over... would i blow my ram if i tried a different slot, at the moment they are in banks 1 & 2 of 1234... which is how thet worked before new gfx card

It's safe to put any module in any slot, don't worry. What to do now is to make sure that both modules are working fine, and that all four slots are working okay. Do this by trying each module on its own in each slot. If each module works in each slot, try again with the two of them plugged in simultaneously.

Banned

possibly damaged the ram with static (unless you had anti static wrist strap on?)

dxx;3561736

It's safe to put any module in any slot, don't worry. What to do now is … It's safe to put any module in any slot, don't worry. What to do now is to make sure that both modules are working fine, and that all four slots are working okay. Do this by trying each module on its own in each slot. If each module works in each slot, try again with the two of them plugged in simultaneously.

This is correct method to try now, try each of the sticks on their own to ensure they are both working.

Try them in different slots as well.

You can damage RAM with static, but it is very rare. I have been working in IT for the last 14 years and have only worn an anti-static wrist strap twice in that time and have yet to damage any memory (although have ******ed some network cards).

dmccabe;3561878

This is correct method to try now, try each of the sticks on their own to … This is correct method to try now, try each of the sticks on their own to ensure they are both working.Try them in different slots as well.You can damage RAM with static, but it is very rare. I have been working in IT for the last 14 years and have only worn an anti-static wrist strap twice in that time and have yet to damage any memory (although have ******ed some network cards).

Ah, a fellow techie that shuns wrist straps. I've never understood the point of them. I just don't see how being wired to the mains is a good thing. Yes, it's to the Earth and it should be safe, but if something goes wrong, there are many things that I would rather be than strapped up to a live electric circuit. Maybe it's my arrogance, but I kind-of value my life above the replacement cost of the occasional motherboard. Seriously, I wonder how many techs have been hurt or killed because of ESD company policies.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1633
      2. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1220
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764435
      4. Anyone else used www.completesavings.co.uk11

See more discussions