PC Memory Upgrade Compatibility

7 replies
Found 30th Dec 2015
Looking to give an old PC a boost. Did a Crucial scan where they recommend DDR PC3-12800 or DDR PC3-10600.My motherboard is a Giga-Byte GA-H55M-USB3. Will these be compatible HyperX FURY Series 8GB DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module (amazon.co.uk/Hyp…H2/ )as they look good value and cheaper than Crucial recommendations.

I have 2gb installed just now was looking to remove and upgrade to 8gb, would I be better having 2x4gb matched pair or 1x8gb?

I've got a Flubit demand which is only 5p more for 2x4gb of this model so would appreciate any advice.

1. Ask
  2. PC
  3. RAM
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. PC
  3. RAM
7 Comments

I'm too tired to check compatibility for you, but the RAM situation is always a hard one to decide.

If you won't be upgrading again in the future then opt for the 2x4 configuration as you can benefit from the small speed increase that dual channel support lends.

If you plan to add more ram in the future, then 1x8gb would be the way to go as you can get a cheap 8gb stick in the future to gain the benefits of dual channel at a later date without the cost of getting rid of the old sticks and costing you more money.

As for most people outside of virtual machines and other intensive use 8gb is plenty so I'd opt for that.
Edited by: "Astec123" 30th Dec 2015

Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, will probably go for 2x4gb as that will be adequate for my purposes. Just need to find our about conpatability.

uk.crucial.com/gbr/en - use the system scanner

it'll generate a report of what you need to upgrade - you don't need to buy from crucial - just use the information to shop around

Original Poster

philphil61

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en - use the system scannerit'll generate a … http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en - use the system scannerit'll generate a report of what you need to upgrade - you don't need to buy from crucial - just use the information to shop around

Cheers for the reply but I used the scanner but it gave me different numbers from those of the ram I was looking at which I outlined in my query. Are all DDR3 ram modules inter changeable?

gordon060367

Cheers for the reply but I used the scanner but it gave me different … Cheers for the reply but I used the scanner but it gave me different numbers from those of the ram I was looking at which I outlined in my query. Are all DDR3 ram modules inter changeable?

Sorry - didn't see the Crucial bit in your post.

Personall I'd stick to the 12800 or 10600 AFAIK that is the speed of the chip and not sure about your Amazon choice

The DDR3 ram is in different frequencies and your 1833MHz is PC-14900 which is more than fast enough for your mobo.

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note 1)
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 2200+/1800/1600/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
Support for non-ECC memory modules
Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

Therefore your RAM would clock down to 1800Mhz unless you're running an i5 according to gigabyte website.

So yes it will work as its DDR3 but it's probably abit overkill.

I'd go for the 2x4gb as its cheapy

Any DDR3 should work but if you want guaranteed compatability then you need to go off the Memory Support List
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…48107
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52422864
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427914645
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769427

See more discussions