Groups

PC Problem . . . HELP

Ok . . .

I was using my PC fine the other day then it just locked up on me. There was no BSOD the display just froze and everything became un responsive.

I have since been attempting to boot it upto windows with minimal success.

Initially it would get to the windows logo but now I can't even get the thing to boot upto the BIOS stage.

I have removed all non-essential hardware so it's just the HDD, GPU and CD Drive.

I have given all the fan and everything a good clean etc.

Does anyone have any advice, sadly I don't have a second rig to test components on.

I can't see it being my HDD as there is no apparent clicking or anything like that.

Thanks in advance

8 Comments

make sure you did not wipe the heat sink glue off the processor.

Take everything out - power up, any beeps ?

(if not - put the mobo on a non conductive surface - box would do and try again)

motherboard gone or graphics card gone would be my guess.

Try a different graphics card in the system, if it boots that's your problem. If not i would guess a faulty motherboard.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Remove the HDD and try boot a cd with a live linux on it.

Can't even get it to boot to CD I was trying to get to Hirens boot CD last night.

john-boy

Take everything out - power up, any beeps ?(if not - put the mobo on a … Take everything out - power up, any beeps ?(if not - put the mobo on a non conductive surface - box would do and try again)

Everything out and a lot of beeps

sven256

motherboard gone or graphics card gone would be my guess.Try a different … motherboard gone or graphics card gone would be my guess.Try a different graphics card in the system, if it boots that's your problem. If not i would guess a faulty motherboard.

I don't have any spares or anything to test sadly

Original Poster

Annoyingly my mobo has no onboard graphics either

neilquane

Everything out and a lot of beeps.

Ok - mobo still responsive - put stuff back in, one at a time - starting with GPU, power up after each one. When do the beeps stop ?

Original Poster

RAM - beep
    GPU - beep
    GPU with cable plugged in - No Beep (Thats on both of the DVI outputs)

hmmmmm
    Edited by: "neilquane" 19th Aug 2010

Original Poster

bump . . . . anyone?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad news about Barcelona24111
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764166
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?27122
      4. Any PS4 News Here29213616

See more discussions