Groups

PC problem - "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" & host file issues

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out, I've been having some serious issues with my laptop the last couple of days.

It seems like I managed to pick up a virus, no idea how, it's the first time in years, I've always been very careful about the sites I go on etc, since I do all my online banking on this machine.

Anyway, the only program on my laptop that seems to be able to access the internet is Mozilla. MSN won't sign in, it shows a warning triangle next to Host Files, when I trouble shoot. Internet explorer says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", it says "Diagnose connection problems", when I try that it sends it in circles, blaming a firewall or router. I've rebooted my router, to no avail. Since Firefox works, I'm guessing this is the result of a virus on my system.

I've used Sophos to scan and it's removed a virus, Spybot also removed some crap. I've tried a system restore to last week and still no luck. I'm going to try some older restore points now but I'm not very hopeful.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance..

6 Comments

turn off system restore and scan again. try trend housecall
    try malwarebytes too

and try a better internet security prog for the future too.

Original Poster

Housecall won't load, already tried that. Because the host files are mashed it can't connect when I execute the launcher.

Will give malwarbytes a crack, thanks.

Try resetting internet explorer, I've had it in the past, Not always caused by a virus.

Original Poster

I went on the MS site and found an app called "MS fix it". Ran it and voila, it's all back to normal. Thanks for your help guys - both repped.

Have you had a look at your host file to see what the issue is????

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts ..... probably the best place to start.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764216
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?31138
      3. What do these 2 men have in common1013
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846168

See more discussions