[PC Problem] Random restarts in Windows 10?

Posted 21st Mar
I have been having an issue with Windows 10 since I have moved from Windows 7 and I'm left scratching my head with the issue. It randomly restarts, but for the most part, not frequently.

Sometimes my computer just restarts, sometimes it goes for a week and nothing, other times it can reset twice in one day.

I have tried:
1. Updating graphics card
2. System file checks
3. Reconnected HDD cables to different ports on the board using new SATA cables - checked HDD using software.
4. Power into the computer seems well within limits. This is an old system with a branded 500W PSU.
5. All the anti-virus/anti malware checks.

I was going through the event log and noticed something just before it restarts. Of course, Windows sometimes doesn't have time to write the whole story because it was reset without notice. Here is something I have noticed and it starts with a sequence in which Windows checks the HDD's health in the background.

1. All fine, no problem, system is running, normal day.
3425662.jpg
2. After a random reboot. Same procedure again, except a critical error just after drive P:/ check.

3425662.jpg
What the critical message says:
3425662.jpg
I have ran checks on P: drive, and all have come back fine using various tools.

I guess I could disconnect it, but it has all my work stuff on it.

Any suggestions please?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
I had the same issue recently. To make a long story short copy all your files elsewhere and reset the PC to manufacturers standard. I spent two weeks trying to find the problem but it was impossible. Somewhere some files are corrupt and its giving a fake hard drive error, after resetting mine back I havent had the problem again.
Hope that helps.
Would think it would be driver issues. Any error? Try resplendence.com/who…hed google results if any and go from there...I'd guess something to do with graphics drivers.
I had this issue too. For some strange reason i just took this motherboard battery out for 15 mins and then put it back in and I’ve not had an issue for 6 months.

Might be worth a go??
Try the driver for your WIFI card or Bluetooth Adaptor. Take a look around google about the BTHUSB, I think from a quick read around it's not supporting going into low power mode.
Thank you everybody, some new things to try here. (it just rebooted again). Thing is, it just seems odd that it goes for a week+ without doing it, and then twice in one day. Once I suspected it may have been Windows update.
Edited by: "guru404" 21st Mar
Another note, I have "Automatically restart" under system failure turned off. Yet, it still restarts.
It’s probably their crappy updates, i upgraded on the free windows ten offer. And now it’s saying that my windows ten is out of date. But won’t install the new one. I’ve tried everything and it gets to 99% then stops. It’s Microsoft itself what causes these problems and don’t compensate their mistakes
There is a bad optional update that can cause this and other issues...KB4535996. Not saying it's this, but have a look on internet and see if it's installed on your PC.
Turn off fast boot or what ever it’s called, that way you get a clean reboot.
Have you checked if your motherboard has a more up to date Bios available?
Remove your memory and reseat it.
Oneday7721/03/2020 12:59

Turn off fast boot or what ever it’s called, that way you get a clean r …Turn off fast boot or what ever it’s called, that way you get a clean reboot. Have you checked if your motherboard has a more up to date Bios available? Remove your memory and reseat it.

Yep, good advice...fast boot caused problems on one of my PC's...
Mines been restarting like that, I've stopped it by setting "active hours" to when I'm not there, although it's a max of 9 hours a day (obviously not coded by a gamer)
philajones21/03/2020 13:04

Yep, good advice...fast boot caused problems on one of my PC's...

Thanks, I did turn this off sometime ago it it didn't make a difference.
I've swapped out the CR2032 battery, just replaced it with a new one. Going to see how that goes. Of course, there is no way to trigger the event, so its a case of wait and see I guess.
Oneday7721/03/2020 12:59

Turn off fast boot or what ever it’s called, that way you get a clean r …Turn off fast boot or what ever it’s called, that way you get a clean reboot. Have you checked if your motherboard has a more up to date Bios available? Remove your memory and reseat it.

Yep. Did this already but it didn't make a difference.
When you upgraded to Win10. Was it a clean install or upgrade? Either way a clean install might be your only solution.
Oneday7721/03/2020 14:52

When you upgraded to Win10. Was it a clean install or upgrade? Either way …When you upgraded to Win10. Was it a clean install or upgrade? Either way a clean install might be your only solution.

It was the free upgrade via the media creator tool on the M$ site.
guru40421/03/2020 14:53

It was the free upgrade via the media creator tool on the M$ site.

Doesn’t mean it was a clean install. It could still have performed and upgrade. If you didn’t format the hard drive as part of the install, it was an upgrade.
Still either way, might be best reformatting as others have suggested and install again.
Oneday7721/03/2020 14:55

Doesn’t mean it was a clean install. It could still have performed and u …Doesn’t mean it was a clean install. It could still have performed and upgrade. If you didn’t format the hard drive as part of the install, it was an upgrade. Still either way, might be best reformatting as others have suggested and install again.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't clear - it was the upgrade from Windows 7, so it wasn't clean.

I reset the CMOS battery on the MB yesterday (removed it, and replaced it). So far so good.
Your pc is very old if it’s windows 7 upgrade to 10. There is an issue with some software causing the sytem to crash I suggest you go to ms windows 10 download. Get a fresh copy 1909, install it then reapply all your present softwares, but remember that some softwares will have issues. Right click on them when installing try to run in administration mode. You sometimes have an option to run in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 modes. The issues should all disappear but some software may never work again. Unless you go back to windows 7. By the way Windows 10 is still a disaster. 5 years after it was put out there.
Removed the battery (and replaced it anyway).
Week and a half all good.
Then today, reboot, this time at the Win 10 startup/login screen.
Put some temperature monitoring software on, and see what it's doing.
I had a problem with a graphics card (old, but good enough for my needs)it just shut down like I'd pulled the plug (check that's secure btw)
I made sure the drivers were bang up to date, but I think it was drawing too much power, so dropped the resolution slightly, never.happened since!
esar30/03/2020 02:29

Put some temperature monitoring software on, and see what it's doing.I had …Put some temperature monitoring software on, and see what it's doing.I had a problem with a graphics card (old, but good enough for my needs)it just shut down like I'd pulled the plug (check that's secure btw)I made sure the drivers were bang up to date, but I think it was drawing too much power, so dropped the resolution slightly, never.happened since!

Temps are well within range. Graphics card is on-board. I have a feeling this could be caused by 101 different possibilities...
Edited by: "guru404" 30th Mar
Was the software for checking the HDD crystal disc info?
P.S. how many hdd's
esar30/03/2020 02:48

Was the software for checking the HDD crystal disc info?P.S. how many hdd's

I used Seagate tools..
Three HDD's in this computer.
I know it'll take ages, could you run a surface scan on the P drive I think you said and then the boot drive if nothing turns up (best done overnight)
esar30/03/2020 11:52

I know it'll take ages, could you run a surface scan on the P drive I …I know it'll take ages, could you run a surface scan on the P drive I think you said and then the boot drive if nothing turns up (best done overnight)

Ok, thank you. I'll try and do one tonight.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants