PC problems file gone out of folders but then found via search...

Found 11th Apr
I've got a PC, running Windows 7 ( my computer wouldn't upgrade to the free Windows 8 upgrade a couple years back or so )

Anyway it's like my computer as done a factory restore ( I've got boot discs for computer but they put away safe ) the desktop barely as any icons on it ,the background picture as restored an Acer one... it's just the icons you get when you get a new computer, few usual programs, however there some icons on for origin, steam, some gaming icons etc, obviously these were not installed originally by Acer.

In my 'picture's folder the folder is totally empty apart from the 'sample' pics.... so files have gone too ( I've got them backed up on external hardrive ) but if I click on windows flag and search a name of a folder such a birthday then it will find the files and I can view them, the location of the files are in pictures... I can click onto pictures from the top of that open file and it bring the rest of my picture folders up, but if I select pictures folder they not there? What's gone on with my computer ?

I've checked the restore points and it says over past few days 3 critical updates have applied and therefore created a restore point.

Oh my browser I use on PC all the search history, saved logins and other bits have wiped out too.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments
Firstly, kudos for having a backup.

Regarding the issue, everything you describe is consistent with what you'd see if you logged into your computer using a new user account. Has anything been changed recently? What folders do you see if you go to C:\Users\
Original Poster
dxx37 m ago

Firstly, kudos for having a backup. Regarding the issue, everything you …Firstly, kudos for having a backup. Regarding the issue, everything you describe is consistent with what you'd see if you logged into your computer using a new user account. Has anything been changed recently? What folders do you see if you go to C:\Users\

I've looked at that part and all there is is administrator date modified 2012 , my own user name account ( padlock symbol against ) modified in 2016, there is a public one from 2016 too and under those is TEMP which as a padlock against , now this one that says TEMP says it was created today around the time I switch come in the desktop, loads icons gone, the background picture replaced with an Acer one.
If I click on my user account and go into the pictures folder then the pictures are all there too....but not from when I try and just enter pictures folder from the windows start up flag.
Original Poster
Also as for the user accounts in the control panel section there is only mine which is the administrator and guest account which is turned off.
Original Poster
OK, I've restarted the computer and eveything as returned back to normal. We have the original desktop, all the icons back. I now can enter folders, all files are there.

The TEMP that was there on list as now gone too? So what happened to cause it all? Is this a sign the computer on it's way out? I've had it since summer 2012, I've never ever had to reset it to factory settings either, to be honest it been heavily used by the kids over the years but barely anyone even touches it lately.
Mum2ConnornCerys49 m ago

OK, I've restarted the computer and eveything as returned back to normal. …OK, I've restarted the computer and eveything as returned back to normal. We have the original desktop, all the icons back. I now can enter folders, all files are there.The TEMP that was there on list as now gone too? So what happened to cause it all? Is this a sign the computer on it's way out? I've had it since summer 2012, I've never ever had to reset it to factory settings either, to be honest it been heavily used by the kids over the years but barely anyone even touches it lately.

Restarting was the next thing I was going to suggest. Sometimes Windows will struggle to open a profile, and when that happens, it'll log you in with a temp profile. Rebooting normally gets you back into your original profile.

As to what caused it all, I don't know. Without any other issues I'd hesitate to consider it a sign of impending doom. Maybe an update caused a minor blip while it finished installing itself. It's unlikely to be anything too serious if the system ran happily apart from that glitch, though.

For now, I'd just do the usual routine of keeping things updated and running whatever anti-virus you have, and checking your backups are up-to-date. The computer's probably okay.
Original Poster
dxx13 m ago

Restarting was the next thing I was going to suggest. Sometimes Windows …Restarting was the next thing I was going to suggest. Sometimes Windows will struggle to open a profile, and when that happens, it'll log you in with a temp profile. Rebooting normally gets you back into your original profile. As to what caused it all, I don't know. Without any other issues I'd hesitate to consider it a sign of impending doom. Maybe an update caused a minor blip while it finished installing itself. It's unlikely to be anything too serious if the system ran happily apart from that glitch, though. For now, I'd just do the usual routine of keeping things updated and running whatever anti-virus you have, and checking your backups are up-to-date. The computer's probably okay.

Thanks for responding
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions