PC PSU connector for graphics card Gtx1060

Found 20th AprEdited by:"kevw"
2928850.jpgI only have one spare 4 pin connector (see right of photo) from my 500w power supply can I connect a GTX 1060 to it?do I need an adapter?
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
You will need an adapter but the card is sometimes supplied with one.
Depends which card you choose.
That's effectively a ~350W power supply, most components these days draw power from 12V (including CPU and Graphics card) and that delivers 336W at 12V. The extra capacity at 3.3V and 5V is useless in almost every PC.

Generally you only see that distribution of power on old (pre-Pentium 4 era) PSUs or very cheap ones still using old designs (or wanting to fudge their numbers).

Either way, I'm not surprised it doesn't have PCI-Express connectors. It either pre-dates then or the manufacturer left them off to try and discourage you from using it for the system you'd typically choose a 500W PSU for.

You can get adapters but they're typically 2x Molex or 2x SATA to PCI-E and designed to have both plugged in. With only one connector it may work depending on what the cables are rated for and how much other load is on that line but it might be safest to replace the PSU with something more capable.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 21st Apr
Short answer is you may need a new power supply.
EndlessWaves13 h, 45 m ago

That's effectively a ~350W power supply, most components these days draw …That's effectively a ~350W power supply, most components these days draw power from 12V (including CPU and Graphics card) and that delivers 288W at 12V. The extra capacity at 3.3V and 5V is useless in almost every PC.Generally you only see that distribution of power on old (pre-Pentium 4 era) PSUs or very cheap ones still using old designs (or wanting to fudge their numbers).Either way, I'm not surprised it doesn't have PCI-Express connectors. It either pre-dates then or the manufacturer left them off to try and discourage you from using it for the system you'd typically choose a 500W PSU for.You can get adapters but they're typically 2x Molex or 2x SATA to PCI-E and designed to have both plugged in. With only one connector it may work depending on what the cables are rated for and how much other load is on that line but it might be safest to replace the PSU with something more capable.

It has split 12v rails, I think 168 watts on each, which complicates things further. It's over 10 years old and certainly needs replacing.
That's a horror of a PSU, if I was repairing/servicing it i'd definitely be advising replacing it. I'd go for an EVGA, Seasonic or Superflower branded unit for longest life with minimum fuss.
Thanks, Im probably going to get a new pc for casual gaming, is this a good spec and would the power supply take a GTX1060, 1070, 1080 GPU?

ebay.co.uk/itm…G~L
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants