PC Query

Found 4th Mar
When I turn on my desktop pc it comes up with this error every day :

517-Power Supply Error

Press F1 to continue

It comes on fine after pressing F1 but it won't let me do any Windows updates they fail each time.

Any ideas why this is happening please?
Community Updates
AskElectronics
16 Comments
Sounds like the CMOS battery has gone, it's a small round battery on the motherboard.
You can pick up a packet of them from your local pound shop.
The reason the updates are failing is because the time and date on your pc will be wrong.
There are a few potential things to look at on the thread above. Alternatively you can replace the cmos battery although ill be honest I’ve never had one fail to date in all my years of working with PC’s but it’s a cheap solution to try so worth a go.
Original Poster
regretful14th Mar

Sounds like the CMOS battery has gone, it's a small round battery on the …Sounds like the CMOS battery has gone, it's a small round battery on the motherboard.You can pick up a packet of them from your local pound shop.The reason the updates are failing is because the time and date on your pc will be wrong.

Well according to the time and date in the bottom corner of my screen,they are correct
Original Poster
Is not being able to install the updates linked to the 517 error ?

Because on the thread linked to above it says about installing updates but it won't install them,I get this when I try :

There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later
Post error messages are normally not related to the OS so Microsoft updates should not be tied to the 517 error.

Do you by any chance have a hp all in one with a laptop style power supply?
Edited by: "Bertz99" 4th Mar
Domthedonkey18 m ago

Is not being able to install the updates linked to the 517 error

Those sorts of error codes are manufacturer specific, it'll be the BIOS producing it rather than Windows. It's not like an HTML 404 error that always means the same thing.

Without knowing what the actual issue is it's hard to say for certain, but it's unlikely that a hardware issue would affect just software updates. You'd generally expect issues at that level to affect things more widely.
Well your windows updates can be fixed by running the windows update repair tool. Just search for it in windows 10 “windows update repair” it’ll check and repair any errors. Another thing to check is that you have enough free space on your drive for the updates, if you don’t then delete or move some stuff off the drive.
I bet you have an HP pc - its a known fault i've seen it a few times and its usually caused by a faulty capacitor inside the psu - you need a new psu or the ability to open it up and replace all the caps!
Domthedonkey1 h, 33 m ago

Well according to the time and date in the bottom corner of my screen,they …Well according to the time and date in the bottom corner of my screen,they are correct

They will be as it fetches the time from the interwebs.
Original Poster
Yes it is a HP.

Thank you everyone.
Original Poster
I wonder if I have a virus on it.

I just had a Red screen appear saying critical error and it froze everything,it had a toll free number on it to call
Domthedonkey18 h, 17 m ago

I wonder if I have a virus on it.I just had a Red screen appear saying …I wonder if I have a virus on it.I just had a Red screen appear saying critical error and it froze everything,it had a toll free number on it to call

Oh dear, sounds like one to me, it may not be but just check, Google the number and see what info you find

Try to get a Anti Virus on it

Why don't you have a anti Virus already, anyway, I recommend MalwareBytes and Hitman pro
Edited by: "Norseg" 7th Mar
Original Poster
I do have an anti-virus.

I ran those yesterday.

According to Google it's some sort of scam where they want you to ring the number.
Original Poster
It completely crashed this morning,had to start in safe mode.

I think I will just buy a new pc.

They only ever last 2-3 years as I always kill them !
Original Poster
The F1 thing was the power lead I think.

I knocked it out cleaning behind it yesterday and when I switched the pc back on no F1 was required,it must have been loose

Still can't do the windows updates though,everything we try suggested on Google doesn't work.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions