Groups

PC question: Memory in Bios showing lower speed than what it should?

Hi,

I've just built a new PC over the w/e with help from some guys on here with certain aspects which I appreciate. I had a quick look on the bios to check everything is running normally and noticed the Mobo detects the memory but sais each stick is running at 266mhz and the memory I bought is 667mhz do I have to adjust the ram speed manually or is the 266mhz correct.

Thanks guys.

10 Comments

You should be able to change it in your BIOS, it will be under memory timings or something similar I believe

The PC usually reads the RAM's SPD and configures itself automatically but in your case it either hasn't done that correctly or your RAM is dodgy. I would imagine though that it is just a case of manually configuring the memory timings and you'll be fine

Original Poster

Thanks buddy, Yeah the pc has been on all over the w/e with no problems have given it a good test. I will have a look at it tommorow so all I do is adjust both timings to 667mhz each or as there running together would it be a different number sorry but Im not tottally sure what number to enter for each. Thanks

RockstarRob;2616562

Thanks buddy, Yeah the pc has been on all over the w/e with no problems … Thanks buddy, Yeah the pc has been on all over the w/e with no problems have given it a good test. I will have a look at it tommorow so all I do is adjust both timings to 667mhz each or as there running together would it be a different number sorry but Im not tottally sure what number to enter for each. Thanks

You should just be able to set each channel to 667, when you try to alter the memory timings it will come up with a list of compatible speeds anyway

Original Poster

Excellent thanks mate :thumbsup: appreciate your help:)

RockstarRob;2616597

Excellent thanks mate :thumbsup: appreciate your help:)

No probs, good luck :thumbsup:

Banned

My new Asus motherboard doesn't support the full 800Mhz of my new RAM because it doesn't support the voltage, supports the speed though, just a heads up.

DDR2 is double the rate of the mainboard, so 266=533, that may be the max your board supports. check if there is a bios update available for your board for it too detect and set a higher rate

Original Poster

This is the motherboard I got

asrock.com/mb/…66G

It came in a combo deal on Ebuyer for £80 with a overclocked CPU @ 2.66.

It sais it does support DDR2 667 so I will have a look in a mo.

Original Poster

Right guys just changed it do you think I will notice the difference much in games etc with the extra oomph?.

RockstarRob;2620730

Right guys just changed it do you think I will notice the difference much … Right guys just changed it do you think I will notice the difference much in games etc with the extra oomph?.

Short answer - no.

Probably 10% faster at most (likely much less) so pretty hard to notice!:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *Heads Up* Free Wrestling on Sunday 10pm YouTube, Facebook and WWE.com. Sum…11
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?27127
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764186
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?77

See more discussions