pc question......... server related

8 replies
Found 23rd Sep 2008
ok i havw this basic pc i got given

intel pentuim 2 (state of the art in 1970 something lol )
64mb or close to it
10gb hd ......

would it be able to cope running as a raid server ? would use a linux server such as debian

it will be slow but i just wanna have something to mess with .......

or should i invest in a new mobo & cpu ???

pc world have a 1.7 ghz celeron for 9.97 ...... if i can get a mobo for about the same price that would be ok for time being ...... any ideas on cheap mobo ??
i looked on ebuyer dabs etc £30 +

1. Misc
  2. PC
  3. Server
8 Comments

Are you aware that you'll need more than one HDD to build a RAID server? Really not much point with 1 10gb HDD.

With a 10gb hdd there's not much point. In theory you could do a really minimal linux install, make a couple of tiny partitions and use software raid, but its pretty pointless unless your just using it to practice how to set-up raid. What raid level are u thinking of?

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;3037937

Are you aware that you'll need more than one HDD to build a RAID server? … Are you aware that you'll need more than one HDD to build a RAID server? Really not much point with 1 10gb HDD.

i have 3 ide's here to go in it ....... 2 x 80 gb and 1 x 40gb

not sure on which raid i would use though

faevilangel;3038006

i have 3 ide's here to go in it ....... 2 x 80 gb and 1 x 40gbnot sure … i have 3 ide's here to go in it ....... 2 x 80 gb and 1 x 40gbnot sure on which raid i would use though

What IDE RAID Controller do you have?

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;3038015

What IDE RAID Controller do you have?

none that i know of

faevilangel;3038021

none that i know of

So are you just going to use the RAID layer in debian? I found this on my 'travels':

tldp.org/HOW…TO/

It's fairly old but the principle is the same.

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;3038042

So are you just going to use the RAID layer in debian? I found this on my … So are you just going to use the RAID layer in debian? I found this on my 'travels':http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Software-RAID-HOWTO/It's fairly old but the principle is the same.

that could be an idea...... seems a fun way

Doesn't need to be beefy, used to run a Pentium Pro Linux server which functioned as a router, irc server, web server, ftp server etc. Given how cheap you can get PC hardware currently though I wouldn't bother and invest in a newer setup that won't need extensive performance tuning.

John
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…3973
    2. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…46
    3. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3275
    4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 192 ***215

See more discussions