PC Ram and spec question

Found 6th May
My PC (AMD Athon X2 with 12GB RAM, overkill I know) is creaking at the seams, things like Youtube hangs on me at times so I'm considering upgrading.

I mainly develope on my PC, Android Studio which is resource hungry and I play a little online Poker, watch Youtube, Facebook etc. I have a 120GB SSD in my current PC that I could swap over. I'm fine opening the case as I've built several PC's in the past.

I'm on a tight budget so I've been keeping an eye on Itzoo. The processors on the following machines knock socks off my Athlon X2. Even for an old processor I think I'd see a massive improvement over my current set up.

itzoo.co.uk/col…-12

itzoo.co.uk/col…-10

The first PC has a faster processor than the 2nd and is only £99.99 (minus another 10% discount). I'm wondering is 4GB enough for my needs? And could I put a 2nd hard drive (my SSD) in? Could a put a 2nd monitor on this system?

The 2nd PC I think would fit my needs, it was what I'd considered before I seen the £99 deal but it's also £70 more expensive which I'd rather not spend. Again the questions of a 2nd hard drive and monitor apply to this deal.

In all honesty I'd prefer the first for the price point but is 4GB enough? And how much would another 4GB stick cost me?

Thoughts?
Community Updates
AskComputersGaming PC
14 Comments
That £99 deal has literally went out of stock I've been keeping my eye on Itzoo for a month or so (since a deal was posted) and it will come back int stock or something better for the same price will come in.
So what CPU do you have? an AMD Athon X2.... what? Install CPU-Z and it will tell you.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 6th May
RiverDragon812 m ago

So what CPU do you have? an AMD Athon X2.... what? Install CPU-Z and it …So what CPU do you have? an AMD Athon X2.... what? Install CPU-Z and it will tell you.

I'm out for a bit to watch the football but I think it's an AMD Athlon X2 450e. I've already done a comparison, the AMD clocks at 2,000 something and the CPU on those desktop clocks at 7,000 something. It's the RAM I'm wondering about. No point getting the £100 machine and then having to put in £40 worth of RAM
You already have 12GB DDR3 RAM from your current PC so why would you buy additional?? You can pull-out i.e 4-8GB RAM and put that in your next machine

Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF comes with 4 RAM slots.
33753842-sBVrq.jpg

HP Desktop Pro 6300 comes with 4 RAM slots.
33753842-uNqIB.jpgBut the first thing I would do before buying another PC is to look at upgrading the CPU in your current PC (if possible).
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 6th May
RiverDragon88 m ago

You already have 12GB DDR3 RAM from your current PC so why would you buy …You already have 12GB DDR3 RAM from your current PC so why would you buy additional?? You can pull-out i.e 4-8GB RAM and put that in your next machineDell Optiplex 7010 SFF comes with 4 RAM slots.[Image] But the first thing I would do before buying another PC is to look at upgrading the CPU in your current PC (if possible).

Didn't know that, will wait on the PC coming on sale again. What about the 2nd monitor and hard drive. Not really as important though, I'd just swap over my SSD if it can't take a2nd drive. The monitor would be handy for testing apps, can you tell by the connections at the back of it could handle a 2nd one?

I'm ok PC wise for butchering parts but I'm not that clued up on specs
GlentoranMark35 m ago

I'm out for a bit to watch the football but I think it's an AMD Athlon X2 …I'm out for a bit to watch the football but I think it's an AMD Athlon X2 450e. I've already done a comparison, the AMD clocks at 2,000 something and the CPU on those desktop clocks at 7,000 something. It's the RAM I'm wondering about. No point getting the £100 machine and then having to put in £40 worth of RAM

Passmark (CPUBenchmark.net) is a very arbitrary benchmark and doesn't reflect a lot of real world uses so I wouldn't put much weight on those numbers.

The Athlon X2 brand was used between 2007 and 2014. There wasn't an Athlon X2 450e as far as I'm aware. There was an Athlon X2 4050e (2008), an Athlon II X3 450 (2010) and an Athlon X2 450 (2014).

Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge processors are probably the best options to look at on a budget though. AMD's alternative at that time was the Construction Cores, which never worked very well for a lot of workloads.

There's no noticeable different between a i5-3470 and a i5-3570, they should be considered identical from a practical point of view.

A 4GB DDR3 stick wouldn't cost you much second hand.
HP Desktop Pro 6300 comes with VGA & DP for 2 monitors.
Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF comes with VGA & 2 x DP for 2 monitors.
The clock speed suggests an X2 4050E (AM2 socket) rather than the 3.5GHz 450 (FM2).
If it's the AM2, then your existing RAM will be DDR2, not DDR3 - the good news, is if there is an AM3 support BIOS update for the motherboard, then you have the choice of AM2, AM2+ and AM3 CPUs as an upgrade (not AM3+, so no FX series)
matth99991 h, 27 m ago

The clock speed suggests an X2 4050E (AM2 socket) rather than the 3.5GHz …The clock speed suggests an X2 4050E (AM2 socket) rather than the 3.5GHz 450 (FM2).If it's the AM2, then your existing RAM will be DDR2, not DDR3 - the good news, is if there is an AM3 support BIOS update for the motherboard, then you have the choice of AM2, AM2+ and AM3 CPUs as an upgrade (not AM3+, so no FX series)

It's DDR3, click. OP can just upgrade his CPU instead of buying another desktop click/click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 7th May
Good find on the motherboard, FXes as well, 95W TDP seems to be the limiting factor, but no shortage of choice there
Sorry for the delay and really thanks for your help. I was on my mobile when I made my 2nd post and no way of checking my spec so I went from memory.

I've run CPU-Z and it's an AMD Athlon X2 250. Riverdragon got the motherboard correct, it's an M5A78L-M LX3. The memory is DDR3. I also don't know what PSU is in the machine so that could be an issue. This machine was built from butchering another PC with a motherboard, CPU, RAM bundle (think I had the 4GB from another machine and why there's 12GB in it).

Suggestions?
You was willing to pay £90 for that first PC, I would use that money instead to get something like i.e AMD FX-8120 for around £53 from aliexpress. To get the most out of it I would overclock the CPU.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 9th May
RiverDragon820 m ago

You was willing to pay £90 for that first PC, I would use that money …You was willing to pay £90 for that first PC, I would use that money instead to get something like i.e AMD FX-8100 for around £53 from aliexpress. To get the most out of it I would overclock the CPU.

With an old motherboard and CPU I never considered just upgrading, I thought things would have moved on since then.

Yeah, went through uk.pcpartpicker.com and seen a FX-8300 for £63, UK supplier so no risk of customs. Also on Amazon but only for Prime members.

cclonline.com/pro…wGw

I've never overclocked before, plus I heard the CPU gets very hot so needs extra cooling, not sure I'd fancy doing it but I'll maybe consider it.

Thanks for your help.
A FX8300 would be 30-40% better in single core, and massively better in multiple core... 8 (ish) vs 2 - the FX models use blocks which are more than a hyperthread, but not quite 2 independent cores... I believe Windows 7 updated and later Windows have a scheduler that distributes threads optimally similar to and Intel 4 core 8 thread scenario.

Note that you MUST have an appropriate BIOS revision before switching to a FX CPU.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants