Groups
    EXPIRED

PC recommendations for £500

My PC blew up, but it was covered on the insurance.

Unfortunately this came in the form of £500 of Comet vouchers

Any recommendations on the best PC for around £500 (laptop or desktop) from Comet

Cheers
    Snozz

5 Comments

Well a laptop and desktop are totally different things. And you can get more for your money with a desktop than a laptop.

For a desktop do you need a complete system (screen, keyboard etc) or do you have some parts.

For a laptop - do you plan to carry it around, or will it always be in the one place (this makes a difference for screen size and weight)

Most importantly, what do you want to do with it?

Doing basic "office work" would need a totally different computer from "playing games".

Original Poster

Just need a base unit.. Have everything else.
    The selection of desktops at Comet is VERY limited!

If a laptop, will be in 1 place. Won't be moving with it .

Using it for general office / internet / with occasional video editing.

i'd ask your insurance company for something other than comet vouchers as the choice is so limited (and not good).

I don’t think anything other than Comet vouchers is an option. A friend had something very similar. Claimed on house insurance for a washing machine, had to pay the excess (ie send the insurance company another £100) but ended up with a nice Comet voucher for £460 when the cost of a equal machine was £260. The thing is you don’t have to spend all the voucher on the computer in this case. They spent way less and still have £200 left which can be used for any purchase before the voucher runs out (12 months I think) so to the OP I would buy an average desktop PC and keep the rest. You might even be able to sell the voucher on the auction site if you wanted. As i say this is all 2nd hand info but I wouldn’t get too bogged down with thinking you have to spend all the £500 on a PC. Don't think that’s the case. Once the claim has been settled and agreed by the insurance company you can basically do what you want with the voucher. Though I'm not sure I would try not even buying a PC at all.
    One final point, aren’t Comet vouchers accepted in other stores? Comet are part of a bigger group aren’t they?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions