Pc review help and advise!

Found 22nd Jan
I’m looking at getting a new pc with a budget of around £850. It would mostly be used for office, as a plex media server, kodi and occasionally for some photo/video editing. I don’t need an all in one as I’ve already got a monitor etc.

The best deal I can find is the HP Pavilion 570-p076na Desktop for around £829 after using discounts etc. The spec is:

Windows 10 Home 64

Intel® Core™ i7-7700 (3.6 GHz, up to 4.2 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)

3 TB 5400 rpm SATA

256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

DVD-Writer

Intel® HD Graphics 630

AMD Radeon™ R5 435 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2
Ports:
2 USB 2.0
3 USB 3.0
1 USB 3.0 Type-C™
1 audio in
1 audio out
1 microphone in
1 headphone/microphone combo
1 RJ-45
Expansion slots
1 M.2
1 M.2 PCIe
Video connectors
1 VGA
1 HDMI-out 1.4

Memory
16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

It seems like a decent spec’d machine for the price to me, but I‘d really appreciate some advice from anyone who could either advise me on a better system or confirm whether or not this is a good deal.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
Community Updates
AskElectronics
8 Comments
Also just come across a dell inspiron for £747 after using code on HUKD. Spec as follows:
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-7700 [7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700 processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)]
Operating System
Windows 10 Home (64Bit) Multi-Language English, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Spanish
Memory
8GB DDR4 2400MHz
Hard Drive
128GB SSD+1TB GB 7.2k HDD
Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1050 with 2GB GDDR5 graphics memory

Which is the better deal?
I would go for the HP one. Higher storage capacity and double the ram. Only reason you would want the dell is if you want a better graphics card for gaming or because of the lower cost.
Can you not build your own? I imagine you could get the best parts from either and still be within budget (so 16Gb Ram, 7200rpm HDD, 256 SSD, etc.)
Building my own might be a plan. I can spread the cost more then too as
I’m not really in any hurry to get it. I don’t suppose you know the cheapest legitimate way of getting windows 10 do you?
Thanks for the help by the way
k_t_lloyd2 h, 20 m ago

Building my own might be a plan. I can spread the cost more then too asI’m …Building my own might be a plan. I can spread the cost more then too asI’m not really in any hurry to get it. I don’t suppose you know the cheapest legitimate way of getting windows 10 do you?

Microsoft don't tend to discount much, so unless you're eligible for the student discount or a program through work it'll be the same £90-100 or so whichever reputable shop you buy it from. Amazon occasionally price match dodgy sellers down to about £75 if you want it a little cheaper.

There are much better places to save money. You're easily spending £75 more than you really need to on the CPU.
For my likely uses I’ve mentioned above, would you say an i7 is overkill? I don’t really see me getting much gaming in in the near future and then by the time I can, this setup will be ridiculously dated anyway!
You can get Windows 10 free from Microsoft. It just won't be activated which doesn't really mean anything.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants