pc specs for 4k 60fps video streaming?

3 replies
Found 30th Sep 2016
4k gaming uses a lot of horsepower but how much do you need for streaming video? ​and do you know if you could get 60hz if you used a HDMI to displayport cable ? because the displayport is the only outlet that has 4k 60hz (I don't have a HDMI 2 outlet and want to use hdmi)

thanks guys

3 Comments

Streaming 4k from Netflix or Amazon via a PC is not available yet. HDCP 2.2 is the issue.
My PC is connected to a LG 4k TV but my resolution is set to 1920x1080 so I can get 60hz. I only ever get 30hz at 4K.
I have an RX480 card and the TV is connected via diplayport via an adaptor as I use the HDMI for VR.
It's better to get a dedicated box for streaming 4k.

That depends on what you're streaming.

Streaming pre-recorded video files across the network is undemanding computer-wise, although you need a half-decent network speed

Streaming that does encoding on the fly from a live video sources (games etc.) can be more demanding, especially on older hardware that doesn't have build in encoders for H.264 or HEVC at 3840x2160. Depending on the desired bit rate you're probably looking at a Sandy Bridge Quad or above.

If you're just talking about outputting the video signal rather than streaming it (it makes no sense to talk about streaming over HDMI/DisplayPort) then that's not demanding at all. If you've got the output for it then it'll work smoothly.

mranderson1971

Streaming 4k from Netflix or Amazon via a PC is not available yet. HDCP … Streaming 4k from Netflix or Amazon via a PC is not available yet. HDCP 2.2 is the issue.

HDCP 2.2 capable video outputs have been around for over a year now.

EndlessWaves

That depends on what you're streaming.Streaming pre-recorded video files … That depends on what you're streaming.Streaming pre-recorded video files across the network is undemanding computer-wise, although you need a half-decent network speedStreaming that does encoding on the fly from a live video sources (games etc.) can be more demanding, especially on older hardware that doesn't have build in encoders for H.264 or HEVC at 3840x2160. Depending on the desired bit rate you're probably looking at a Sandy Bridge Quad or above. If you're just talking about outputting the video signal rather than streaming it (it makes no sense to talk about streaming over HDMI/DisplayPort) then that's not demanding at all. If you've got the output for it then it'll work smoothly. HDCP 2.2 capable video outputs have been around for over a year now.

Yes as does mine but that still does not mean any services are available that stream 4k on PC.
You can watch Youtube in 4k and some free content but if you want Netflix or Amazon then you need to get a separate device and I would not imagine that is even close to changing at the moment.
I do use Plex to stream 4k to other devices.
Interesting article on the subject
techhive.com/art…tml
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Spotify family22
    2. Gala Bingo/Games. Deposit £5 get £40 cashback. Quidco - new Gala members11
    3. Has the amount of Apple fanboys increased on the site after the redesign?11
    4. Urgent help needed with travel agent56

See more discussions