Groups

PC Tech Support... Uncle FWIBBLE wants you!!

hey sorry about the title, lack of sleep makes me go... something... something...

anyway i've gathered you here today for assistance with my nutty pc...

don't know when the settings altered but somehow my LG Dvd/rw is now no longer noticed as a dvd device and instead just comes up as a Cd drive...

when I put a blank DVD in it will state DVD on the drive icon until it stops reading it the the icon converts back to cd drive...

i'm wanting a fix so i can put some software on to a dvd for a mate

haven't tried updating the driver yet, nor have i tried a movie, but doubt the latter would help me duplicate my software.

kind of lost track of what i'm saying now so i'll leave this for some help...

p.s. gonna try update it now

11 Comments

Yes Firmware update is easiest.

Any other PC's you can try it on? could be a Windows issue.

Original Poster

i'm thinking about a total reinstall :O but it will take me a while to get my programs back that i want

tried an update but it said my drivers are up to date, my pc thought I had a cd drive and a dvd drive when i looked in device manager so I erased the cd one (disabled it first). but still thinks my dvd drive is a cd drive.

having trouble with other pc also, it thinks its only a 32 bit graphic machine... its like been on a c64 lol. but i can sort this when i can b bothered.

gonna try a re-start to see if i can flush anything out of my pc

Try removing and re-installing the drivers.

Sent you a PM :thumbsup:

I'm possibly misunderstanding you here - are you trying to burn a DVD using Windows XP? If so, this won't work as it will only burn CDs not DVD so you'll need some burning software for the latter. If you have tried burning software, are you getting any errors from it?

John

Original Poster

I have nero, but my pc thinks my dvd drive is a cd drive so nero won't burn to the dvd...

thanks birdy but software seems either slow or glitchy might just be my pc though knocking on heavens door

fwibble

I have nero, but my pc thinks my dvd drive is a cd drive so nero won't … I have nero, but my pc thinks my dvd drive is a cd drive so nero won't burn to the dvd...thanks birdy but software seems either slow or glitchy might just be my pc though knocking on heavens door

lol, ok, no probs.

Hope u get your prob sorted. Could you not try uninstalling drive and reinstalling it? As in take it out of PC?

Original Poster

i think i've sorted it, well its burning to dvd anyway wahoo... think i might wipe pc soon tho, get rid of useless files... any better way of getting rid of unused programmes and dead folders... i have crap cleaner but unsure of wot to delete from that lol

fwibble

i think i've sorted it, well its burning to dvd anyway wahoo... think i … i think i've sorted it, well its burning to dvd anyway wahoo... think i might wipe pc soon tho, get rid of useless files... any better way of getting rid of unused programmes and dead folders... i have crap cleaner but unsure of wot to delete from that lol

How did you fix it?:?

Original Poster

to be honest i haven't got the foggiest... i removed daemon tools, cos i thought that might have caused some confusion on my pc also removed any software i had installed in the past 48 hrs.... uninstalled the drivers, restarted my comp, did other stuff too, but i believe magical pixies came in when i went to the toilet and they fixed it for me.

Banned

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"
    This may help you:
    support.microsoft.com/kb/…060
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4522114
      2. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546
      3. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…66
      4. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work77

See more discussions