PC to PC USB file transfer

4 replies
Found 8th Feb 2008
Hi I have a new desktop and need to transfer some files across from the old one and am looking for some free software to USB it across. Any ideas?

1. Misc
  2. PC
  3. USB
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. PC
  3. USB
4 Comments

You will need a usb transfer cable - do you have one? If not, its probably easier to use a crossover network cable (if they both have network cards) or easiest and fastest option is probably just to stick the old hard drive in the new machine temporarily.

Play.com 2GB USB Flash Drive
£8.99 Delivered
The Play.com Flash Drive from Play.com makes it easy to quickly save and transport your important data. Users can transfer documents, pictures, movie clips and music to other computers with a USB port.

:thumbsup:

Transfer data between school , office and home in style
Slim, stylish design for easy use
Fits onto your key ring
USB 2.0 and 1.1 compliant
2 Year Warranty
Replacement for your floppy disks, Zip drives and CD-Rs
Read Speed of 10.5MB/S (70X)
Write speed of 7.24MB/s (48X)
No drivers needed for Windows 2000/ME and XP and MacOS 8.6 or later, 9.X and 10.1.2 or above

Maplin has ]this cable that claims to come with software that does what you ask.

For not much more though you could get a cheap HDD enclosure and run the drive from the old PC and grab what you need that way.

Original Poster

Cheers everybody for your input. Didnt want to buy anything and can't be bothered to move the old hard disk, also coud have done it on the LAN but thought it should be much easier and quicker to use USB. Well I found a program its called PCmover. Installed it on both machines and just clicked on what I wanted to move. Easy.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Whatsup number, confused44
    2. What is gearbest like on warranty?79
    3. changing a dimmer swith to normal light switch34
    4. Swimming goggles for 3 year old21

See more discussions