Groups

PC to play High Definition

I have a core2duo PC with a PCI express graphics card and DVI out. Will this enable me to play high definition downloads through my tv if i use a DVI to HDMI cable (or even DVI to DVI) or am i missing something?
    Thanks

6 Comments

You will need a pretty good graphics card to output high def - and your best with a hdmi connection over dvi

Original Poster

dandoc2;3326050

You will need a pretty good graphics card to output high def - and your … You will need a pretty good graphics card to output high def - and your best with a hdmi connection over dvi

Is there a set standard or does it depend on the output resolution of the card? I know a lot about PC stuff but pretty new to the HD setup.

Reddwarfposse5;3326080

Is there a set standard or does it depend on the output resolution of the … Is there a set standard or does it depend on the output resolution of the card? I know a lot about PC stuff but pretty new to the HD setup.

hdtvuk.tv/200…tml

Reddwarfposse5;3326080

Is there a set standard or does it depend on the output resolution of the … Is there a set standard or does it depend on the output resolution of the card? I know a lot about PC stuff but pretty new to the HD setup.

I use media player classic to play hd films on my modest pc. Also get a programme called core avc, it lessens the load while playing the hd stuff preventing the films from stuttering.

It did take me a bit of fiddling with the setings to get everything working perfectly though but i'm now all hd'd up.

Have you got a HD TV as a monitor? what resolution?

PC's will upscale any video to whatever resolution you are using. But the resolution rely on your monitor. So if you have a very old monitor then even with the best graphics cards you will only see the max resolution on your monitor.

The HD (widescreen) resolutions are as follow:

1280 x 720 (720p)
    1366x768 (1080i)
    1920x1080 (1080p)

If your monitor is not widescreen you will get different resolutions but you should still be able to watch HD stuff. (I.e with 1280x1024 you can see 720p and maybe 1080i not sure, with 1920x1200 you can watch any resolution).

For playing normal HD videos (i.e .avi. .wmv, etc files) you should not have many problems with most recent graphics cards.

But to play blu-ray, HD DVD or high definition format (I can't remember the extension at the moment) you will need a decent PC, good graphics card and the appropiate SW (i.e. Power DVD)

I hope this information help you a bit and makes some sort of sense

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. My TV is used as my monitor but it isn't HD Ready. I'm looking to upgrade in the near future. I would buy a Blu-Ray DVD drive for the PC which is good spec and use that. I've not tested the resolution on my TV as i'm looking to change it but my graphics card seems to support resolutions of up 1280 x 1024 to when i use a monitor i have.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Need help with home Internet dropping out please11
      2. What's the name of that brand that looks like Playstation symbols?22
      3. Do you use a case on your iPhone?99
      4. Ask and Misc quieter since for sale has gone?55

See more discussions