Groups

PC to TV cable help needed

I am trying to connect my Dell laptop to my Sony TV, does anyone know what cable i need? A link to deal extreme would be great!
    Many Thanks

15 Comments

your title says pc to tv, your post says laptop to laptop which one is it? what connection do you want to use?

Original Poster

united002;1853127

your title says pc to tv, your post says laptop to laptop which one is … your title says pc to tv, your post says laptop to laptop which one is it? what connection do you want to use?

oops, laptop to sony tv, i've edited it now

what conection are you after using? vga, dvi, s-video?

Original Poster

united002;1853136

what conection are you after using? vga, dvi, s-video?

This is the bit i dont understand, there is a socket at the back of the tv which just says PC, which connection is best?

Has your laptop got hdmi? or are you looking at this sort of connector? tvcables.co.uk/cgi…tml ? you ll need sound leads too if you want the sound to come out of your laptop speakers, unless you can use hdmi?

Banned

You want to use an s-video to component adapter but don't expect great results, computers weren't designed to run on TV's.

lumoruk;1853345

You want to use an s-video to component adapter but don't expect great … You want to use an s-video to component adapter but don't expect great results, computers weren't designed to run on TV's.

I got one of these from dx but it didn't work, something to do with my pc having a 7P s-video that only does hd? do you know how I can get this to work?

Banned

tazxxx;1854051

I got one of these from dx but it didn't work, something to do with my pc … I got one of these from dx but it didn't work, something to do with my pc having a 7P s-video that only does hd? do you know how I can get this to work?

Third time lucky for me purchasing an s-video adapter, they come with different configurations but is not stated in the description for the item.

Do you have any of these connections on your laptop or TV?

http://www.computerbase.co.uk/ProductImages/newtvout/videocard.jpg

Original Poster

MBeeching;1854222

Do you have any of these connections on your laptop or TV?

Yes the s-video and vga

If your TV has the same type of connector VGA 15 pin, then you just need a VGA cable long enough to reach.
    One end male, the other female I should guess.
    And if you want sound then audio phono cables L & R. to connect from laptop to tv, or seperate audio unit.
    No reason why you shouldn't get a decent picture... I do.

edit:-
    Oops just checked mine...
    yep it's male to male connections

you really need to state which tv and laptop you have guess if the tv has a vga port it will more likely be an lcd so will have a vga connector so use vga (male to male) m to f is an extension

ps if it aint a lcd, be careful you could damage your tv

lumoruk;1853345

You want to use an s-video to component adapter but don't expect great … You want to use an s-video to component adapter but don't expect great results, computers weren't designed to run on TV's.

Well I've connected up my Dell Inspirion to my 40" Sony Bravia using the VGA cable that came with the TV and I was more than impressed with the image, equal to the 360 IMO.

what would i have to do if my TV did not have a vga input?

then u would have to use a vga>scart or buy a vga card with rf output, tbh would look really **** over either
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky1214
      2. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      3. Biscuit addiction1231
      4. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325

See more discussions