Pc upgrade

Found 2nd Apr
Afternoon all.

im purchasing a new gaming pc and id like to keep existing 1tb hard drive as a second drive. My new pc comes without an OS. Would me adding my existing hard drive give me windows on the new machine
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Depends on the base hardware. Sometimes on first boot after transferring an OS disk from one machine to another windows will successfully update drivers for the new hardware fine, sometimes it won't.
Make sure you back up any data you don't want to lose before trying though.

If it updates and boots make sure you update any remaining drivers in device manager.

You will likely need to re-activate Windows though. If online activation fails due to the new hardware you will need to call the MS activation number, If you have to speak to a real person and they ask for the reason just tell them motherboard failed and had to be replaced. (I've used that one dozen's of times)
Depends on what licence you have, is it an OEM or a full licence ?
I bought a dell Alienware in 2012, how do I find if it’s oem
Cpt.Negative26 m ago

I bought a dell Alienware in 2012, how do I find if it’s oem

If it came with a computer it's OEM. The retail copies that the licence agreement allows you to transfer are the boxed copies you buy yourself.

OEM licenses only allow hardware replacement in the event of a failure, if you're buying a new computer with windows it'll come with a new licence.

Basically, you need to go and buy yourself a new copy. They're not very expensive these days, around £90 for a legit one.
You can you use something like ShowKeyPlus to display your win key from your Dell. Try using that win key to install win10 on your new PC.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 2nd Apr
You can legit win 10 keys for a few pound now.
Bargainhead7 m ago

You can legit win 10 keys for a few pound now.

how do you install from a key if there is no os? (noob alert)
Cpt.Negative4 m ago

Download the ISO image of the OS in advance from MS website and write to a USB stick, then boot from the USB stick, during the install it will ask you to enter the key.
Cpt.Negative6 m ago

Use another pc and download win 10 onto a 8gb usb stick, put usb in new pc press power on, go into bios and load from usb. Once it’s loaded activate with key. Win 10 locks to mother board so if you reinstall later you won’t need the key again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants