Expired

PC Upgrade Help?

Found 12th Mar
Hi,

I am clueless when it comes to computers. But was hoping for some help. I built the following spec PC a good few years ago.

3rd Gen i5 3570k
Gigabyte z77n-Wifi
Asus geforce gtx 660 ti 2GB
Corsair 16GB DDR 3 Ram 1600mhz
Corsair 650w power supply

Its been good to me for a few years playing games around Mid graphics. But more recent games are becoming an issue for me. Even when i lower the graphics.

Im only a casual gamer so im not looking for anything that plays 4k or anything. Maybe mid graphics again.

But my question is could i get away with just buying a new graphics card to help improve playing more recent games or would you advise getting a whole new pc with newer hardware (i realise my ram and processor are old now too). Looking for cheapest option but if my hardware is too old to support newer graphics cards then i will look at other options

Again im clueless. So go easy on me

Thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronics
9 Comments
The best option for you is to buy a console.
Either way you are going to need to go graphics - so worth going that first and if not sufficient that be one less component to buy in replacing motherboard, cpu and memory

latest gen 8 and ryzens are a significant jump though (at last).
Your GPU is still pretty good for low and mid end gaming with a 1050ti only being 30% better so maybe try overclocking it a little or picking up a second hand gpu like a gtx 780 or 970 as current gen pricing is all over the place. Did see that ocuk had a RX 580 8gb for £299 which was a good price.

game-debate.com/gpu…4GB
emodan1 m ago

Your GPU is still pretty good for low and mid end gaming with a 1050ti …Your GPU is still pretty good for low and mid end gaming with a 1050ti only being 30% better so maybe try overclocking it a little or picking up a second hand gpu like a gtx 780 or 970 as current gen pricing is all over the place. Did see that ocuk had a RX 580 8gb for £299 which was a good price.http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=874&gid2=3669&compare=Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti-vs-Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Also you can oc your cpu or add in a second hand i7 2700k or 3770k for about £115-150 from cex
GPU pricing is bad at the moment because of the mining craze. Keep your eyes peeled for a decent price on a 1050ti or 1060 depending on your budget and it'll pair decently enough with your current CPU, RAM etc
Even the i5 2500K (A generation older than yours) is still plenty capable matched up with the latest graphics card.
I would just swap the i5 for a i7 3770 from Cex and wait for the GTX 1060 to come down in price back to the £200 mark.
Easier to get a console
Some good advice, thanks all
A 6GB GTX1060 will bring new gaming life to your PC.
Also as you have a Z77 Motherboard and k series i5. Stick an over clock on it. If you mess it up, well you were looking at an upgrade anyway
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants