PC Upgrade option?

Posted 20th AprEdited by:"tiki3471"
Hi All

Just ordered a gaming laptop which will be delivered mid-May but my PC is now playing up. It's an old one (Spec below) that I've had for years but now every day it keeps coming up with disk read error on startup. The PC is only used for browsing the internet and normal everyday use.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU - Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM - 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard - ASRock H67M-GE (CPUSocket)
Graphics - 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (XFX Pine Group)
Storage - 1863GB Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 ATA Device (SATA ) and 232GB VB0250EAVER ATA Device (SATA )

The front USB ports don't work and trying to transfer data from the SSD to HDD or even an external USB takes ages. I have tried the error checking on both hard drives but shows no errors?

My question is should I buy a new 512GB SSD and 2TB HDD to replace the two which will probably cost me about £150 or just pay a little more and get a new PC?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
you haven't listed your ssd so cant tell which size you would be going for but 150 seems a lot to pay for a ssd and 2tb disk. should be less than 100 and the 2600 is still a very respectable cpu with 16bg ram, not sure you will get anything as powerful under 400 ish.
you have obviously not spent anything on upgrades for a very long time, best idea is to drop a couple in every couple of years, to me thats the whole point of a desktop, keeping it topped up.
maddogb20/04/2020 07:18

you haven't listed your ssd so cant tell which size you would be going for …you haven't listed your ssd so cant tell which size you would be going for but 150 seems a lot to pay for a ssd and 2tb disk. should be less than 100 and the 2600 is still a very respectable cpu with 16bg ram, not sure you will get anything as powerful under 400 ish.you have obviously not spent anything on upgrades for a very long time, best idea is to drop a couple in every couple of years, to me thats the whole point of a desktop, keeping it topped up.

Sorry should have said to get a new 512GB SSD and 2TB HDD.
ah ok thought you were going to match you 250GB, in that case just over the 100mark if you want to dive in and do both
sdd
hdd
prepare a macrium rescue usb stick and hook these up internally with a sata cable to do the clone although you may have a couple of usb 3 ports so watch which one you use to boot from.
looking at the WD 250GB i have had issue with those failing at quite low levels of usage so suspect that may be your io failure but take them out one at a time to see if the errors disappear.
Get crystal disk info crystalmark.info/en/…fo/
That should tell you which drive is playing up (probably boot drive)
Or should I just go for a 1TB SSD as that should be more than enough for me?
All you need is a SSD + fresh install of your OS.
esar20/04/2020 09:31

Get crystal disk info …Get crystal disk info https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/That should tell you which drive is playing up (probably boot drive)

I agree, do a crystaldiskinfo to find which disk is playing up. And a 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD shouldn't be £150; if you only need 1TB then a 1TB SSD would be cheaper than 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD as well.
Shrekt20/04/2020 13:05

I agree, do a crystaldiskinfo to find which disk is playing up. And a …I agree, do a crystaldiskinfo to find which disk is playing up. And a 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD shouldn't be £150; if you only need 1TB then a 1TB SSD would be cheaper than 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD as well.

I have and both drives are saying good which is why I have no idea why the error is coming up. No dirt inside the fans or PC, temps are normal, don't use it for gaming so cpu never gets put under any stress. Just use it for watching movies, browsing the internet and microsoft word. Nothing coming back with virus scanner and malwarebytes...
Try a MBR repair
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions