Groups

PC Upgrade/New Build Time

I'm getting really sick of not being able to play the latest games, especially GTA4 and all the Shader Model 3 minimum required ones and have decided it is probably the time for me to upgrade or rebuild my system.

I do read PCFormat and other publications and keep relatively up to date but I guess I don't fully trust myself.

I'm not sure on the budget but not too high (
    This is my current spec, any parts from that can be salvaged:

Opteron 146 CABNE0540 Stepping @ 2.65GHz
    DFI Lanparty RDX200 CF-DR
    2gb (4x512) dual channel cas2 corsair xms
    Radeon X850XT
    Antec Trupower 2.0 550W
    4 HDD's, 1.41Tb in total
    1xPioneer DVR-109 DVD-RW

i7 is clearly a bit pricey at the moment so would it be wise to plunge for a ultra low budget system and then go i7 later, if i7 is indeed the way forward?

I am also contemplating whether AMD's upcoming offering is worth waiting for.

So whaddya' think?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

13 Comments

You could build a q6600 system and clock it on air cooling to 3,2ghz.
    Nice and fast.

Original Poster

I could do that, what graphics card, mobo, ram would you suggest considering my budget?

you can get 4gb ram for about 37 off ebuyer which will be more than sufficent for latest games, as for others theres a range of components you can get off the same website within ur budget

Original Poster

esq3585;4195919

You could build a q6600 system and clock it on air cooling to 3,2ghz.Nice … You could build a q6600 system and clock it on air cooling to 3,2ghz.Nice and fast.

What cooler would you recommend for doing this?

Check out the forums at [url]www.buildyourown.org.uk[/url] .
    It's a site dedicated to building your own pc so would probably be a better place to ask.
    Once you've got the specs you want then come back here to find the cheapest place to get stuff from.

esq3585;4195919

You could build a q6600 system and clock it on air cooling to 3,2ghz.Nice … You could build a q6600 system and clock it on air cooling to 3,2ghz.Nice and fast.

He could go for that or there is the AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 920 2.8GHz its only been out a month or so i think. Its about the same price as the q6600 & the few reviews iv read it out performs it

Im in the middle of building a system with it & using some of my old parts.

But getting new:

CPU
    Motherboard with SLI
    Memory 4GB
    1TB hard drive
    New PC case

That will be around £375, i know i can get the cost down if i get a board without SLI. Once iv built it il be selling some of my old parts then using that towards the cost of geting a new graphics card or 2 but cant make my mined up which ones yet

IF you dont mined a refurb PC check out ebay item 220349809647 if i was on a tight budegt i would consider getting it, but as i got the few extra £'s im getting something a little better

Original Poster

I shall consider the Phenom II although it is about £40 more than the Q6600 where I'm looking (ebuyer)

The refurb looks ok, shame about the graphics though. I prefer self-building anyway, I enjoy it

Personally I'd avoid SLI (or Crossfire). You pay so much more for the motherboard, and single graphics cards will always perform well over 50% of the paired solution except at extreme resolutions where the bandwidth of one card really cant cope. I also would rule out the Intel i chips for now; they don't really represent vfm and DDR3 simply isn't worth the extra cost at the moment.

I'd look to get a quad-core Intel with a mid-price motherboard (there are plenty of excellent motherboards for well under a ton) and 4GB (2x2GB) of DDR2; its a good balanced setup and will fit within budget. Your current PSUs and HDDs should cope fine. For graphics I'd have a good look at Radeon 4830s and 4850s; they are low enough power yet fast enough to play any game (at modest resolutions - you don't say what your monitor res is but its probably the most important figure in choosing what graphics card to get). Have a look on ]Toms Hardware at their graphics charts at the resolution of the monitor you'll be using and it will give you a good idea if the chosen card will give a good framerate in the relevant game...

Freezer 7 pro cooler is perfect for the q6600 dude.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2my54zm.jpg

JustExtreme;4197648

I shall consider the Phenom II although it is about £40 more than the … I shall consider the Phenom II although it is about £40 more than the Q6600 where I'm looking (ebuyer)The refurb looks ok, shame about the graphics though. I prefer self-building anyway, I enjoy it

The place where im getting my Phenom II is £160.99 delivered which is cheaper than ebuyer's q6600. if you look hard enough you might find the site but i dont really wont to name the site as they only have 8 in stock & i cant place my order for it until next week & i dont want to misss out on it at that price

Original Poster

Nice, well I did find a place with a comparable price, a few pence difference to yours. I won't say that though just in case

I've got my eye on a q6600 on ebay which is collection only and weirdly, 10 miles away from me, seems to be staying quite low.

running q6600 on the above overclockers bundle!! mint system, runs sweet at 3,2ghz!! plays all latest games, well worth the money mate

Original Poster

Cool cheers Cagwell, I'll compare that bundle with some bundles that I group together myself
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …126296
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415714099
      3. Any PS4 News Here29213636
      4. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2429

See more discussions