Groups

PC usb HELP

Can you turn a laptop's 1.0 USB connecter into a 2.0 ps laptop is 10 years old

21 Comments

no you can't, if it has a 32bit pcmcia card slot then you could use a usb2 expansion card but at that age very unlikely, sorry.

a 10 years old laptop!

have you thought about taking it to the antique road show?

Banned

Has it not got an ethernet port?

Original Poster

lumoruk;6326172

Has it not got an ethernet port?

YEAH WANT TO GET IT WI-FI WITH A WI-FI DONGLE GUESS ITS A NO GO

Original Poster

sorry 4 caps lock

Banned

JBAUERBEATSJBOND;6326276

sorry 4 caps lock

you can edit posts you know

What laptop is it? I bought a wifi adapter for my laptop cost £10 and took 5 minutes to fit inside it.

http://www.shufflegazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/wifi-300x200.jpg

JBAUERBEATSJBOND;6326276

sorry 4 caps lock

A wifi dongle should be ok on USB 1.0 if all you are doing is browsing ,

Original Poster

it's a Toshiba s1800-514 satellite

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6326317

A wifi dongle should be ok on USB 1.0 if all you are doing is browsing ,

I tried that with a sweex from play.com...no joy

JBAUERBEATSJBOND;6328518

I tried that with a sweex from play.com...no joy

What OS are you running ?.

Win 3.1 from the sounds of it

JBAUERBEATSJBOND;6327443

it's a Toshiba s1800-514 satellite

Accordingto the service manual your laptop has a mini pci slot, that could be used for a wireless card.

Unfortunately the computer "may" not actually have the required antenna built in.

Open up the compartment on the back and see if there are a few loose wires in there (usually fixed to the inside with some sticky tape).

If you feel adventurous I can send you a used 54Mbit mini-pci wireless card and a set of antennas, for a few £.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8303/satellite1800mpci.jpg

You should be able to run this on the net , no problem , with a PCMCIA wi-fi card . I've had a one of these , just sold it last year . Good laptops .

Banned

SUMMONER;6329283

Accordingto the service manual your laptop has a mini pci slot, that … Accordingto the service manual your laptop has a mini pci slot, that could be used for a wireless card.Unfortunately the computer "may" not actually have the required antenna built in.

I've installed mini pci wifi cards into two Dell's of differing models they both had the antenna installed already. They are 4 and 5 yr old laptops though.

lumoruk;6329887

I've installed mini pci wifi cards into two Dell's of differing models … I've installed mini pci wifi cards into two Dell's of differing models they both had the antenna installed already. They are 4 and 5 yr old laptops though.

Absolutely, ideally it should have them pre-installed.

However the service manual doesn't include instructions on how to replace the antennas. Which likely means that the laptop didn't have them fitted in the factory.

Banned

SUMMONER;6330007

However the service manual doesn't include instructions on how to replace … However the service manual doesn't include instructions on how to replace the antennas. Which likely means that the laptop didn't have them fitted in the factory.

They're not something that would need replacing it's just a bit of looping wire around the edges of the motherboard with weird connectors on the end. Could probably make your own just solder the ends on to the connectors on the wifi card.

The antenna isn't mentioned in my repair manual either as it's not a serviceable part, as you have to take the WHOLE laptop apart which is beyond 90% of laptop users scope.

lumoruk;6330205

They're not something that would need replacing it's just a bit of … They're not something that would need replacing it's just a bit of looping wire around the edges of the motherboard with weird connectors on the end. Could probably make your own just solder the ends on to the connectors on the wifi card.The antenna isn't mentioned in my repair manual either as it's not a serviceable part, as you have to take the WHOLE laptop apart which is beyond 90% of laptop users scope.

It should be in the service manual, as is every other part, including stuff like the inverter and LCD panel. In fact the LCD removal procedure makes no mentioning of the antennas either.

Banned

SUMMONER;6330300

♦It should be in the service manual, as is every other part, including s … ♦It should be in the service manual, as is every other part, including stuff like the inverter and LCD panel. In fact the LCD removal procedure makes no mentioning of the antennas either.

lol what kind of service....oh okay I got a repair manual with my dell not a service one. The Antenna on my Dell doesn't go into the LCD or near that end of the motherboard it comes down around the keyboard under the DVD drive.

lumoruk;6330324

lol what kind of service....oh okay I got a repair manual with my dell … lol what kind of service....oh okay I got a repair manual with my dell not a service one. The Antenna on my Dell doesn't go into the LCD or near that end of the motherboard it comes down around the keyboard under the DVD drive.

Yup, that must be it. Yours is for the end user, mine is for the engineer in the Toshiba authorised workshop.

OP we are waiting for you to have a look. :-D

Original Poster

SUMMONER;6329283

Accordingto the service manual your laptop has a mini pci slot, that … Accordingto the service manual your laptop has a mini pci slot, that could be used for a wireless card.Unfortunately the computer "may" not actually have the required antenna built in.Open up the compartment on the back and see if there are a few loose wires in there (usually fixed to the inside with some sticky tape).If you feel adventurous I can send you a used 54Mbit mini-pci wireless card and a set of antennas, for a few £.

How much matey?

JBAUERBEATSJBOND;6336036

How much matey?

Did you check if your laptop has the needed antenna?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218
      2. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…33
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1118
      4. Sad news about Barcelona26113

See more discussions