Groups

PC VGA to LCD VGA not working - can anybody help please?

Hi, we're trying to get rid of our old CRT monitor and have our daughter use the Vistron LCD we bought her last year as a monitor/tv. I assumed it would be a simple unplug of the existing monitor and plug in of the LCD, but that's not working. I bought a VGA to VGA cable off of Ebay (which I know works as took it to work today to check) as the cable to the CVT monitor is permanently wired, and the screen just reads "no sync". I've looked on a few forums and they all suggest I should either run as a 2nd monitor, or just change properties on the display settings on the PC to LCD, but I can't! We have a fairly basic Dell Vostro 200 with the shared graphics card, and the only output is via the VGA socket. Do I need a different lead / dedicted graphics card / or am I missing something basic? Incidentally, I am using the PC/VGA option on the tv before anybody asks!

Thanks for any help.

18 Comments

might be a case of checking the resolutions supported by the TV in the manual and what resolution you are trying to feed it.
    some 1080p tvs dont accept that resolution from a PC even though it has the right number of pixels

You should try and output a signal that matches the max resolution of your TV. Try 1280x720p at 60hz

Boot In Safe Mode To Change Your Settings

raptorcigs;5064182

Boot In Safe Mode To Change Your Settings

that should do it, and while you are there, delete the monitor driver in device manager

Bingo83;5064155

You should try and output a signal that matches the max resolution of … You should try and output a signal that matches the max resolution of your TV. Try 1280x720p at 60hz

sounds a bit nonstandard 1280*768,1024*768, 800*600, 640*480 be more likely to be supported via vga surely?
    sounds more like the ones listed in my sony manual

brilly;5064327

sounds a bit nonstandard 1280*768,1024*768, 800*600, 640*480 be more … sounds a bit nonstandard 1280*768,1024*768, 800*600, 640*480 be more likely to be supported via vga surely?sounds more like the ones listed in my sony manual

not by a TV, tvs dont tend to support the standard resolutions that you get on standard monitors

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I tried all of the resolutions at 60 and 75hz, and none of them worked which surorised me. I'll double check after work tomorrow what the resolution is on the tv, but I'm pretty sure it's 1420 x 768 and there's no exact match on the settings.

Jetpac;5064405

not by a TV, tvs dont tend to support the standard resolutions that you … not by a TV, tvs dont tend to support the standard resolutions that you get on standard monitors

those ones listed in my manual but yeah i dunno about every other tv^^
    however, id expect that they would(should) be more likely to be set to standard monitor resolutions to give more chance of a computer actually being able to output it.
    (tv is likely to be 1366*768)

Incidentally, I am using the PC/VGA option on the tv before anybody asks!

By option do you mean port or some choice in the menu? If it's the latter then it's worth trying in default mode.

You're not doing anything wrong though, at least on the PC side. One thing you could try is finding and installing the latest drivers for your integrated graphics.

Original Poster

Hi, thought I'd post an update and new appeal!

I took my laptop up to try it out on the LCD TV and simply pludded the d lead in to the matching monitor port on the laptop and it worked immediately. I then plugged it back in the desktop base and again nothing happened. I've downloaded the most up to date driver for the card, and it doesn't appear any different, still nothing. When I use the "Intel TV Wizard" it doesn't recognise that a tv is linked. As there's only a single output I can't even try and run dual screen until I sort it out. I don't really want to buy another graphics card and install it as I think what I have should work fine, but may be wrong!

Help please......anyone??!!

sounds like its simply the wrong refresh rate, those on-board intel solutions are rubbish, go into display properties and try 1024*768 at refresh of 60hz, swap the cable over and turn tv off then on, you should see a picture then.
    Force the monitor driver in display properties to not detect pnp monitors and change it to standard vga 1024*768.
    you should then be able to reboot and it not change the refresh automatically.
    For projects like this if you have a laptop set up logmein on the pc and use the lappy to control it so u can see instant results.

Have you checked the cable on another LCD ? Does it have the full 15 pins at either end ?

Are your graphic card drivers 100% (Check in Control panel, if you need help here LMK)

Are you pressing normally FN + F5 to swich screen modes ?

Have you selected PC input on the TV's tuning menu ?

LMK If you still need more help ;-)

maxmix

Banned

are you supposed to press F8 or is this too obvious?

Chouman;5184639

Hi, thought I'd post an update and new appeal! I took my laptop up to try … Hi, thought I'd post an update and new appeal! I took my laptop up to try it out on the LCD TV and simply pludded the d lead in to the matching monitor port on the laptop and it worked immediately. I then plugged it back in the desktop base and again nothing happened. I've downloaded the most up to date driver for the card, and it doesn't appear any different, still nothing. When I use the "Intel TV Wizard" it doesn't recognise that a tv is linked. As there's only a single output I can't even try and run dual screen until I sort it out. I don't really want to buy another graphics card and install it as I think what I have should work fine, but may be wrong!Help please......anyone??!!

Plug it back into your laptop and then bring up the display properties to find out what resolution and refresh rate it's running at, and then try setting your desktop's monitor to that before switching it for the TV.

EDIT: Oh, and are you plugging it in with the desktop turned on or off?

F8 Varies on PC's !!!

Normally Fn and F5 is to switch modes etc....

maxmix

maxmix;5191486

F8 Varies on PC's !!!Normally Fn and F5 is to switch modes etc....maxmix

And he's troubleshooting a desktop so it won't have those keys anyway.

Original Poster

Thanks all.

Typically, our painter's turned up today and everything's been packed away. The idea of taking the display properties off the laptop settings is genius, thanks EndlessWaves!

We wont see the room again til Monday evening and I will endeavour to get it going then.....wish me luck!

Original Poster

Ecellent. All working. registered with gotomypc and managed to adjust settings from my laptop - genius!

thanks for the help e$eryone! sorry bottom line of my keyboard not working properly on my laptop!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1945
      2. Any PS4 News Here29313800
      3. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…22
      4. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2526

See more discussions