Groups

PC with 2 window startup options - how do you delete one??

Hi,

My notepad i bought was a refurb and it has windows on it twice apparently once it loads up.

On the startup after powering up it asks you to select the windows you want to load and gives a 20 second time choice to make this. There is a choice of 2.

The first one which can load by default is the correct version. The second seems to be the old version pre it being reformatted before being given to me. If you select this is comes up with an error. As such its basically a bit of the scraps from a bodged format in my opinion from pc world.

Anyone know how i can get rid of this so the notepad loads up very simply rather than having this very annoying start up. I really dont want to have to format the pc if there is any option around this.

Thanks in advance,

8 Comments

Start - run - msconfig

go to boot tab and delete the os you dont want.

Banned

what version of windows do you have on your laptop (the version you use not the broken one)

easybcd

nice graphical interface for editing the windows boot manager in either vista / 7 or in xp

deathtrap3000;6932783

Start - run - msconfiggo to boot tab and delete the os you dont want.

i think it gives him the option on startup - even before you enter Windows..

Banned

There is another way to get rid of that in Winows which is easier than editing the boot.ini file (in my opinion). All you do is right click on my computer, select the advanced tab, click on startup and recovery, and at the top it should say system startup. Choose the OS you want from the pulldown menu and uncheck the Display list option, hit ok and you are set. Easy way to do this for users afraid of editing system files.

from techspot.com/vb/…tml

then delete the broken windows from your HDD

Disco;6932816

i think it gives him the option on startup - even before you enter … i think it gives him the option on startup - even before you enter Windows..

yeh i know that.
    he can still use the os you know...

Disco;6932816

i think it gives him the option on startup - even before you enter … i think it gives him the option on startup - even before you enter Windows..

yes but that is where you edit that pre boot menu. it edits a file called boot.ini (in xp) it's different for vista / 7. Also if you set the wait time to 0 seconds it disables the menu. but I think it's safer to do it in easybcd, less chance of you screwing it up.

Original Poster

Hi,

I used the right clicking my computer method from above and its worked perfectly.

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheap northface alternatives?11
      2. NUS EXTRA - Cheap (Legitimate Way) - 3 year card?610
      3. What to do?????56
      4. Tradesmen battery power tools.11

See more discussions