PC World 15% VAT rate now online and instore

Found 25th Nov 2008
Thought this was a good deal as it's gone live before the official date for the VAT drop.

We are pleased to announce that the new 15%
VAT prices are effective immediately in all our
PC World stores and on pcworld.co.uk

How does this affect you?

All the prices currently displayed in store & online include VAT at 17.5%. However these prices will be discounted at the checkout both instore & online to be equivalent to the new 15% VAT prices. This means a discount of 2.13% on the displayed price.
Why is this discount 2.13% and not 2.5%?

The example below illustrates how the 2.13% discount is calculated:
Current ticket price includes VAT at 17.5%
On a product that sells for £100 the VAT FREE price is £85.11
To calculate the new price including VAT at 15% we must add 15% to the VAT FREE price of £85.11, which equals £97.87.

Please note for online purchases only the product price will be discounted at the checkout. Our delivery charges have already been ammended to reflect the revised VAT rates. E-Top up purchases including itunes cards are excluded from this offer. For collect at store orders, discount will be applied instore when you make your purchase.

pcworld.co.uk/mar…ngs

11 Comments

Should be in misc.

Banned

Benjimoron;3565142

Should be in misc.

agreed or are we going to have loads of these vat deals

Original Poster

Thought this was a deal as they've introduced it early.

mod

meinnit;3565212

I agree with you

theyre charging a odd number. i think somethign like 2.13% off rather than the full 2.5%. seems odd. same with currys

meinnit;3565212

Debatable, but just because they're saying they've taken 2% off doesn't mean that you'll actually be saving 2%. Seeing as companies want your business anyway then everyone's going to be dropping prices anyway so it's not really going to be clear whether the 2% is passed on or not.

monkeybrains;3565262

theyre charging a odd number. i think somethign like 2.13% off rather … theyre charging a odd number. i think somethign like 2.13% off rather than the full 2.5%. seems odd. same with currys

2.5% off the ex vat price. Works out to 2.13% off the inc vat price.

supermod

I've checked where the correct place to list this is, & apparently this offer is currently being promoted by the whole DSG Group.

But after checking I'm afraid I'm going to have to move it to Misc Forum from Deals, Thanks :thumbsup:

Banned

monkeybrains;3565262

theyre charging a odd number. i think somethign like 2.13% off rather … theyre charging a odd number. i think somethign like 2.13% off rather than the full 2.5%. seems odd. same with currys

it is the full 2.5%, read the first post as to why.

colinsunderland;3565358

it is the full 2.5%, read the first post as to why.

Yeah, but you don't get 2.5% off. You only get 2.13% off because of the way VAT works.

just as a heads up SVP is also doing this via a coupon code...
Post a comment
@
    Text