PC World Price Match Warning

Just tried to order a lead from PC World (product code: 157205) over the phone to make use of the "Price Match plus 10%" "price promise" they apparently have. Compared against Play.com's price of £5.49, this should have knocked the PC World price down to £3.04. It didn't. The polite man on the other end of the phone said that any product under £6 will not be reduced further.

What I'm incredibly annoyed about is; the fact that PC World apparently "reduce (their) price by 110% of the difference" is blatantly false.

I'm just wondering if the cut-off point is £6 or any price they choose! If you do decide to phone them up and ask for the price match, don't forget about the call charge and amount of time they put you on hold.

13 Comments

use "saynoto0870" to get a landline number. i did that yesterday and the lass who answered got someone to ring me back within a couple of mns. didn't get the price match though cos was for pixmania. worth a try though!

how would it reduce it to £3.04? they only give u 10% difference, so u would get play.com price less 10%

Banned

I don't think you can really blame them.. selling products at a loss really isn't the way to do business.

Besides, many people have price matched high value goods shaving off a high percentage of their own price (anyone remember the 360 HD-DVD player?) in the past... it's really in our interest for them to continue this policy - I know Dixons dropped their price match policy a month or two back!

that's false pcworld.co.uk/mar…ise nowhere is it mentioned products under £6 are exempt, trying to save himself some discount and time me thinks!

Original Poster

beelzebub;2945471

I don't think you can really blame them.. selling products at a loss … I don't think you can really blame them.. selling products at a loss really isn't the way to do business.... it's really in our interest for them to continue this policy

Selling at a loss isn't the usual way to do business, I agree. The fact still remains that it is false advertising to say they will include a 10% discount when they clearly don't (for me anyway).

It is in our interest for them to continue with the policy, but I wish they held true to it 110% of the time!

beelzebub;2945471

I don't think you can really blame them.. selling products at a loss … I don't think you can really blame them.. selling products at a loss really isn't the way to do business.Besides, many people have price matched high value goods shaving off a high percentage of their own price (anyone remember the 360 HD-DVD player?) in the past... it's really in our interest for them to continue this policy - I know Dixons dropped their price match policy a month or two back!

price promise shouldnt be inforce by pcworld then its as simple as that nobody like to looose money in there buissness

Why dont you pop down to pc world and get them to match the price instore.

fact is PC Worlds store prices are in silly territory, most leads they can sell for 97p and STILL make a profit, essentials is where the margin is huge, china is rolling out these sort of cables at a few pence each, sadly, i'd give them another ring and tell them that they do not have a minimum amount in their price match policy, print it out and quote it, or just get the cable on ebay, whilst ebay is much maligned it is handy for cheap cables and the like and if you find a trusted seller based in the UK you can get some good deals

Banned

I still think this is a non issue, at the end of the day it's up to PCW and they can do whatever they want.

khalifazed;2945789

price promise shouldnt be inforce by pcworld then its as simple as that … price promise shouldnt be inforce by pcworld then its as simple as that nobody like to looose money in there buissness

:roll:

They would lose money if they didn't put restrictions on the policy, hence this thread.

Original Poster

beelzebub;2945902

I still think this is a non issue, at the end of the day it's up to PCW … I still think this is a non issue, at the end of the day it's up to PCW and they can do whatever they want.They would lose money if they didn't put restrictions on the policy, hence this thread.

It is up to PC World what they put in their policy, you're right. My point is that if they are advertising

"If you find a lower price for the same product and offer, we'll reduce our price by 110% of the difference",

they should reduce their price by 110% if I find the same product that is cheaper elsewhere. If they don't, then it is false advertising. If they do have terms and conditions, then they should be stated.

To be honest, I'm just a little annoyed that I couldn't get what I wanted for a ridiculously low price :whistling:

Banned

£29.99 to £5.29 is quite a large step :giggle:.

Oh well, next time perhaps?

a lot of people here don't seem to understand one simple bit of maths, the 110% is of the difference! therefore if pc world/currys etc have the product for sale at £6 and some one else has it for £5 then the difference would be £1 (10% of this is 10p) so the pc world/currys matched price should be £4.90 not the rival price less 10%.

Its simple maths!

Banned

davidarfur;3043370

a lot of people here don't seem to understand one simple bit of maths, … a lot of people here don't seem to understand one simple bit of maths, the 110% is of the difference! therefore if pc world/currys etc have the product for sale at £6 and some one else has it for £5 then the difference would be £1 (10% of this is 10p) so the pc world/currys matched price should be £4.90 not the rival price less 10%.Its simple maths!

The lead was £30
Plays was £5.49
10% of £24 = £2.40 off plays price = £3.09

Looks like it's you who can't do simple maths I'm afraid.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
    2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
    3. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44
    4. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578

See more discussions