pc world returns and refunds

hi i purchased a mini dell 10 yesterday and i dont think i like it lol on the reciept it says 28day money back guarentee but just wondered if they are ok with you returning products or do they try and give you store credit. has anyone had any problems taking a laptop back.

22 Comments

Have you opened it? Some stores specify the item must be unopened when returned. Unless its faulty of course.

Christmas Gifts - Refunds and Exchanges
Customers instore are encouraged to exchange or return any unwanted gifts after 2nd January 2010 to avoid busy times. Customers may return purchases made between 12th November and 24th December up until 17th January. Goods must be returned unopened with accompanying receipt or another proof of purchase.
i think the 28 returns policy is if you change your mind before you open it and use it. dont know if they will be able to tell that it has been used if its only been for a short while
corinne

Original Poster

yeah ive opened it and had a play about on it but im not keen on it compared to my other laptop, i did return another laptop over 12months ago that i didnt like also, but they might of changed the returns policy now, im a fussy ****** and buy on impulse, i should really read up on them but alot people have said the mini dell is good, its a nice little netbook but just not for me.

Always found pc world excellent at refunds. Last year my camera started playing up, I had had it for 11 months so i popped down there to find out about the warrenty. They was no longer selling the camera anymore so they gave me a full refund in store credit and i ended up with a much better one...lol
don't think your have any problems getting a refund if it says 28 days returns

Original Poster

suppose all i can do is try, i remember last time they tried to give me store credit but i refused as there wasnt another laptop in there i liked.

Might be safer to say it keeps freezing or something.

Original Poster

g1bbuk;7498035

Might be safer to say it keeps freezing or something.

was thinking that but they would probably make me have another of the same model.

pink-ka;7498124

was thinking that but they would probably make me have another of the … was thinking that but they would probably make me have another of the same model.

Then you'll have an unopened one to return.:thumbsup:

pink-ka;7498124

was thinking that but they would probably make me have another of the … was thinking that but they would probably make me have another of the same model.

To be honest, it depends which store you go to, and which person you deal with.

If it was me, I would be making sure that laptop was faulty before I go there, because I Think the most you will get out of them is store credit.

It is not their policy to let you try before you buy, and some of the managers can be very strict with that. You could say you dont accept the EULA which comes on when you turn the laptop on for the first time, that is a loophole.

If you need any more advice let me know, I used to work in their returns dept c.

Original Poster

aircanman;7498278

To be honest, it depends which store you go to, and which person you deal … To be honest, it depends which store you go to, and which person you deal with. If it was me, I would be making sure that laptop was faulty before I go there, because I Think the most you will get out of them is store credit. It is not their policy to let you try before you buy, and some of the managers can be very strict with that. You could say you dont accept the EULA which comes on when you turn the laptop on for the first time, that is a loophole. If you need any more advice let me know, I used to work in their returns dept c.

whats EULA?

pink-ka;7498316

whats EULA?

End user licence agreement

PC World / Dixons Group are the worst I have ever dealt with for customer services.

Bryan839;7498551

PC World / Dixons Group are the worst I have ever dealt with for customer … PC World / Dixons Group are the worst I have ever dealt with for customer services.

Thats correct, they are terrible. Thing is, a lot of people think they have a right to return all items under some imaginary law that allows customers 28 days. This is why they have got strict in some stores.

Anyway, when you first turned on your new laptop, there would have been something you would have had to click to say you agree to it. Now, if you say you dont agree to it, you will be able to refund it, but you need to box up the laptop and say you havent used it. Clean it up like new if possible. There is another way, but you need a gas cooker . . .

Original Poster

aircanman;7498591

Thats correct, they are terrible. Thing is, a lot of people think they … Thats correct, they are terrible. Thing is, a lot of people think they have a right to return all items under some imaginary law that allows customers 28 days. This is why they have got strict in some stores. Anyway, when you first turned on your new laptop, there would have been something you would have had to click to say you agree to it. Now, if you say you dont agree to it, you will be able to refund it, but you need to box up the laptop and say you havent used it. Clean it up like new if possible. There is another way, but you need a gas cooker . . .

i only got it yesterday so its still in new condition, can always flog it if i have any trouble taking it back

Original Poster

most laptops im looking at now have windows 7 premium on, is it any good? ive been using vista and really like that but cant seem to find a laptop i like with vista on.

pink-ka;7498761

most laptops im looking at now have windows 7 premium on, is it any good? … most laptops im looking at now have windows 7 premium on, is it any good? ive been using vista and really like that but cant seem to find a laptop i like with vista on.

I am loving 7 at the moment, when you get used to it, its great.

simple really, they dont sell goods for you to trial and return for a full refund.
if its been switched on and you've booted it to windows, its now second hand.
why should the store have to now sell it as pre-owned and take a hit on the original price?

you may find a manager willing to use their discretion and give you a full refund, but they're within their rights to refuse altogether.

ours refused to refund a chap who bought a router from us, then when he found it didnt work, he bought another one from a local PC shop, when that didnt work, he paid for the chap from the PC store to come and sort his connection, turns out his PC was at fault.
he tried to return the original router bought from our store.
it was opened and used, though not faulty.

refund refused because we'd have to try to sell the router at full price as opened unused, which most people don't want, or don't want to pay full price for.
or sell it as pre-owned and take a hit on the store's margin for something thats not our fault or problem.

the gent said he'd see us in court.

Original Poster

i bought a display model from pc world a few years back at full price, which is basically second hand as its been used, so they dont technically have to reduce it. if they dont refund fair enough but it even says on the reciept if your not happy with the product you have 28day no quibble returns, so how are you going to know you will be happy without using it? will see what they say anyway.

pink-ka;7499623

i bought a display model from pc world a few years back at full price, … i bought a display model from pc world a few years back at full price, which is basically second hand as its been used, so they dont technically have to reduce it. if they dont refund fair enough but it even says on the reciept if your not happy with the product you have 28day no quibble returns, so how are you going to know you will be happy without using it? will see what they say anyway.

it also says aslong as the product is unopened too.
yours is opened and used.

you can't be sure 100% if you're gonna be happy with it but as I said, they dont sell things on a trial basis.

if you have doubts, dont buy.

they dont technically HAVE to reduce ex-display items but usually will if asked to.
it all depends on the manager or customer service person you see.

you might get lucky and they'll take it back, send it away to be reformatted and sell it again as opened unused.

but i suspect most places are like this when faced with a customer saying "I bought this as an impulse buy, I've messed on with it for a few days and its not really for me, can I have my money back"

Bryan839;7498551

PC World / Dixons Group are the worst I have ever dealt with for customer … PC World / Dixons Group are the worst I have ever dealt with for customer services.

Comet are the worst - At least Tottenham branch is anyway.:x

Changing the product here. I brought my daughter some sony pc speakers on 21.11.10 for xmas.You couldn't plug the wire into the back of the sub woofer as the holes wasn't punched all the way through.
Took back to the shop, none in stock or any other branch. Actually, they had no pc speakers in stock even though i was prepared to spend 10.00 higher than the purchase i paid for. Was told i could exchange for anything else in the store! All i wanted was a new set of speakers or my money back so i could go else where and buy. But no i have had to leave the speakers, they will try and find some but dont no how long it will take as january is a busy time of year. So no speakers, pc world in staines has my money and daugther without speakers. Out of the 28day return even though i did say it was a xmas present and was told not a problem. How is this fair?
Companies should really make their return policy clearer. But no, as long as they reach their target sales each month. It doesn't matter!!!! Not a happy parent.....

I would say it keeps cutting-off & No I don't want another one as I've also found out from a workmate who has the same Netbook also has the exactly the same problem............They are not going to argue with you are they ?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk44
    2. Win a Karcher Xpert Pressure Washer88
    3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
    4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33

See more discussions