PC World - wrongly priced item, Manager wouldn't honour it :-(

Found 5th Oct 2008
Hi everybody,

Furst time poster, long time lurker here... hopefully someone can advise me on my consumer rights?

I was in PC World this afternoon, and was vacantly browsing through the DVD set-top recorders when I spotted a Philps DVDR3570H (I *think* that was the model), but it was a DVD recorder with a 160Gb. Hard Drive.
As usual with PC World there was no prices marked on the shelves, and I picked up the box and was absolutely floored when I saw the printed price sticker of £49.99 on it! I'm no expert, but I knew this was a bloody good price for a branded DVD recorder, never mind the added bonus of the 160Gb. Hard Drive.

I made my way down to the checkout where it scanned at £99.99.... GGGRRRR. I pointed out the price label to the cashier, and he called over 'Stephen' who I assume was the manager / supervisor, who point-blank refused to honour the price. He hinted that someone had moved the cheaper label onto the box, which made me pretty bloody angry. I pointed out that the price label was partially *under* the electronic security sticker thing, and that it was his staff's incometence which was to blame for it being mis-priced.
Anyway, he was abrupt and rude, and said "Either buy it at £99.99 or not at all - your choice", so I left it at the checkout and walked out in a f**king bad mood.

So what are my rights? If I had bought it at £99.99, and then complained to some government agency under the Sale of Goods Act or something, would I have got the diffrence refunded?
I see it's on their website at £99.99
[link]pcworld.co.uk/mar…jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0795083803.1223232817@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadefgekfdgicflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&sku=105237&calling_page=Product[/link]

I've no doubt that the box will be back on the shelf tomorrow with the correct price-label, but I'll be passing again on Tuesday, and I'd love to be able to go in there armed with some info, to rub this arrogant pr!ck's nose into *it*

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, and apologies if this is in the wrong section??

Cheers,
John
john{at]manicminer[dot]plus[dot]com

11 Comments

Unfortunately they are not legally obliged to honour the price on the box.

In the name of good customer services some shops will but there is nothing in law that says they have to - remember the Argos / Tescos mispricing fiascos?

Under contract law the shop is not obligated to sell to you. They are offering the item at a price, but they don't have to accept your offer to buy it (even if you do offer them the price that they are asking).

"invitation to treat" is not legally binding.

As said before they do not legally have to honour this at all, but they should then remove the item from sale for 24 hours and then put it back at the correct price. I know that DSG do train management on this issue, but many stores will not remove an item from sale for 24 hours and sometimes its better to sell it at a reduced price and then alter it as soon as your out of the shop change the price.

can understand how peed off u must have been! boooooooooo!!

Banned

go in tomorrow 1 hour before you went in today to make sure they haven't put it back out for sale.

next time get a salesman over and hand him some cash as he walks to the till, deal done

Original Poster

lumoruk;3126414

go in tomorrow 1 hour before you went in today to make sure they haven't … go in tomorrow 1 hour before you went in today to make sure they haven't put it back out for sale.

How would that benefit me? Would that mean that they would *have* to sell it at the lower price, if it was back on the shelf?

And maddogb, I thought everything in these stres had to be scanned? If I gave a shop assistant the money he'd probbaly just direct me to the tills :whistling:

*Frustrating* doesn't even come close to it.. I was thinking of sending a snotty email to DSG, but I'm sure I may as well pi$$ in the wind :roll:

Thanks for all the helpful rpelies :thumbsup:

Cheers,
John

Banned

maddogb;3128246

next time get a salesman over and hand him some cash as he walks to the … next time get a salesman over and hand him some cash as he walks to the till, deal done

He would probably just keep it and carry on with his other duties

Why act like they owe you something?! A mistake was made on their part, and you act like they've insulted you - they're just doing their jobs, mistakes happen

Why cry about something as small as this??
And whats with the swearing?!

Shut-up, grow-up and man-up

How would that benefit me? Would that mean that they would *have* to sell … How would that benefit me? Would that mean that they would *have* to sell it at the lower price, if it was back on the shelf?And maddogb, I thought everything in these stres had to be scanned? If I gave a shop assistant the money he'd probbaly just direct me to the tills *Frustrating* doesn't even come close to it.. I was thinking of sending a snotty email to DSG, but I'm sure I may as well pi$$ in the wind Thanks for all the helpful rpelies Cheers,John

Well That's a small thing to me...I had placed many orders with play.com, Tesco, Littlewoods, Several other stores. No body honured the price if it is terrafic deal...I lost some money also making calls to them to explain i got right to get the product at the price you are advertised...They simply say it's a mistake with the sales team and i never got the product at that price...
Post a comment
@
    Text