Expired

Pc World/Currys haggling?

Found 5th Sep 2014
Has anyone tried haggling at PC World/Currys recently? Any success stories?

We will be going in next week for a few things. Is it better to use online discount and collect in store or can you do better
instore?
Community Updates
17 Comments
generally i find it only works when they are down to like the last few, or unpopular items.
I've never had much luck on the main price but have got reductions on extended warranties or discounts on other stuff chucked in i.e. cables, batteries, etc.
apparently you can really pique their interest by mentioning extended warranty.
and the of course cancel it before premium is due!
not sure of the specifics but someone (ex-employee?) posted it on here or somewhere similar a while back.
I got a discount on my washer and dryer, I asked as I was buying 2 could they do it a bit cheaper and they took 5% off.
I bought a mac and haggled by getting £50 off apple care so 149 instead of 199 and then I asked for free accessories but the best I could get after half an hour was a free set of apple earpods and half price case. They said I could get more but didn't need anything. hope this helps
Original Poster
Thanks for all suggestions so far. Am looking for a laptop and a built in oven. I know I can get 7.5% through Uni days but thought
there could be goodies and discount to be had.
I walked into pc world in desperate need for a laptop.
I had £700 in £20's....

I said i wanted this particular laptop but didnt want to pay that price....
I wanted a discount i told him....he said he couldnt... I asked to speak to manager....
he went away came back 5 minutes later.... said manager was busy but they would give me 50% of a laptop bag and some free screen wipes....

I said I would rather suck the dried poop from the fur of a dog's anus than accept that and walked away and bought it online...

PCWORLD sux D
MichyM

Thanks for all suggestions so far. Am looking for a laptop and a built in … Thanks for all suggestions so far. Am looking for a laptop and a built in oven. I know I can get 7.5% through Uni days but thought there could be goodies and discount to be had.

Can you please tell me what the discounts are with UNiDAYS? I don't have an account with them, that's why. As I can only see it says 'up to' 20% off.

myunidays.com/per…ore
When they offer certain items for free, they use codes found on their till system, if the system allows it, they do it, dont expect money off.
Lucifer_UK

I walked into pc world in desperate need for a laptop.I said I would … I walked into pc world in desperate need for a laptop.I said I would rather suck the dried poop from the fur of a dog's anus than accept that and walked away and bought it online...PCWORLD sux D

Ooooooooh wow you're impressing me.
Most I've got from them is 20% off a tablet case. They didn't have any in store which was a joke!

They are horrible to bargain with so I tend to avoid them.
I was after a hdd recorder once, they only had the display model left...couldnt believe they wouldnt do any discount at all, despite just seeing kids wiping there snotty hand prints all over it!
Look at O2 priority moments to get £20 off and £50 off minimum spends. Also, **** I think still have a £10 gift card for £5 but take a few days to deliver.
Original Poster
Transformers

Can you please tell me what the discounts are with UNiDAYS? I don't have … Can you please tell me what the discounts are with UNiDAYS? I don't have an account with them, that's why. As I can only see it says 'up to' 20% off.https://www.myunidays.com/perks/view/curryspcworld/in-store

I don't have an account with them either, I saw on another thread 7.5% discount from windows laptops.
Lucifer_UK

I walked into pc world in desperate need for a laptop.I had £700 in … I walked into pc world in desperate need for a laptop.I had £700 in £20's....I said i wanted this particular laptop but didnt want to pay that price....I wanted a discount i told him....he said he couldnt... I asked to speak to manager....he went away came back 5 minutes later.... said manager was busy but they would give me 50% of a laptop bag and some free screen wipes....I said I would rather suck the dried poop from the fur of a dog's anus than accept that and walked away and bought it online...PCWORLD sux D

Walking in with cash wouldn't have done you any favors, they hate that. Costs 'em more to bank it.

It's true, about the extended warranty. Tell the straight up before you ask for any discount you what the Knowhow cover *then* ask for the discount. You can cancel it as soon as you get home.

It will be hard to get much off a laptop though as they are a low margin product to begin with. They can usually be found cheaper elsewhere even if you do get a discount.

Priority moments usually has codes for around 10% discount if you spend the right amounts. Don't tell them you have it before you ask for discount. Whip it out when you get to the tills.

There was a thread that had some codes that were worth more than 10%, but I forget where the codes were from. The thread got spammed by someone a bit over zealous with the spam button
well considering employees only get 10% discount, dont expect much.

as was mentioned, laptops and tablets are low margin items, you're more likely to get money off white goods like kitchen appliances as the markup is much more.

you can threaten to go elsewhere but they genuinely dont care, cos you aint gonna haggle in argos.
has anyone ever tried? why is argos different to currys?

just wondering if anyone has ever asked for a free bag or money off a laptop at argos?
Generally better off buying online as there are not much overhead costs for online retailers, plus if you bought it off curry's online i.e you could get more discount by going via cash-back websites. If you have a car and you are going to make a big purchase at the retailers, go to Morrisons's and buy their vouchers for curry's etc and save yourself 10p of litre of fuel. We do this with Boots vouchers bought from Morrison's. Every bit helps and it all adds up in the end.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions